[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 21 Nov 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Nov 21 18:41:34 UTC 2019

Here is our meeting log:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-11-21-17.59.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday November 21st 18:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
    * Projects from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28

---------------------------
---  21st November 2019 ---
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * Gettor update
        * Survival guide here: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor/wikis/home
        * what is the main gettor repo? seems like hiro's is ahead of https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor
    * Since #29207, we have only about 40 proxies, down from about 400: https://snowflake-broker.bamsoftware.com/debug
        * Is it the case that 90% of our former proxies were not able to auto-update after the backward-incompatible change of #29207, or is there another explanation? Were those 90% all Cupcake proxies?

== Actions ==

    *

== Interesting links ==

    * https://censoredplanet.org/russia - report/paper on network censorship in Russia
    * https://www.cnet.com/features/in-iran-bypassing-online-censors-with-satellite-tv/ censorship circumvention system that broadcasts files over satellite tv

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

Hiro:
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.
        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation

phw:
  This week (2019-11-21):
        * Created and published monthly team report for October
        * Finished prototype for PT test tool (#31874)
            * Uses Yawning's bulb library to have Tor's control protocol tell us if bridge bootstrapped fine
        * Worked on understanding Internet shutdown in Iran
            * There was/is limited circumvention opportunity over VPSes in Iran, and DNS tunnels
        * Started process for adding new default bridge (#32547)
        * Attended grant writing meeting
        * (Almost) finished improving our obfs4 bridge docker container (#31834)
            * Added script "get-bridge-line" to easily get a container's bridge line
            * Made container permanently store tor's data directory
  Next week:
        *
  Help with:
        *

Gaba: (updated October 30th)
   Last week ():
            * sponsor 30
    This week (planned):
            * grants writing

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-11-21
Last week:
    - made #32545 for measuring snowflake network health and started investigating onionperf
    - wrote a script to upload tor browser releases for #32480
    - have proxies report what kind they are to broker #31157
    - more grant writing
    - reviewed #31834 and #32465
    - looked into adding more STUN servers to snowflake (#30579)
    - ongoing help with iran internet blackout situation
This week:
    - finish snowflake test coverage (#29259)
    - more grant writing
    - continue on #29206 and #25723
    - continue on snowflake health (#32545)
    - investigate windows issue (#31971)
    - update github gettor links (#32393)
    - gettor reviews
Help with:
    - review of #32480 (gettor)
    - review of #31157 (snowflake)
    - an authentication token for torproject-pusher and put it somewhere safe (outside the git repo) on gettor-01 (hiro?)
    - some input on the privacy implications of #30579 (snowflake stun servers)

arlolra: 2019-11-14
    Last week:
        - finished off / merged #31028
    Next week:
        - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake #32499
        - read up on turbo tunnel
        -
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2019-11-21
    Last week:
        - deployed the hosted Snowflake proxy 0.1.0 (#29207)
        - switched to the new IPv6 broker (#29258)
        - prototyping QUIC in meek
    Next week:
        - decomission old broker (#32502)
        - prototyping QUIC in meek