[tor-project] Community Team report for October 2019

gus gus at torproject.org
Wed Nov 20 14:52:05 UTC 2019

Hi,

Here's Community Team report for October 2019.

Weekly meetings, every Monday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC.

Outreachy and Documentation
===========================

In October the Tor Project applied to participate in the Outreachy round that
runs December to March 2020.

At least 30 applicants contacted the Community Team to introduce themselves and
start contributing to the project "Help Tor Project support our users".

We wrote a newcomer guide
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/Outreachy#Newcomerguide> and
explained our documentation and support workflow.

Applicants answered users in informal support channels (i.e, Reddit), joined us
on IRC and our weekly meetings. :D

It was a very busy month and we had many documentation tickets fixed. The new
Outreachy intern will be announced by the end of November and will be mentored
by Gus.

Sponsor work
============

This month we continued to work to get partners to sign the partnership
contract. We're helping them to organize the first round of Tor trainings in
their cities, and sharing our training materials.

At the moment we have at least one partner for each country that we visited in
the last year.

We also updated the training material after Tor Browser 9 release.

Antonela, Gaba and Gus met to discuss Sponsor30 and Community+UX teams
activities. Besides running bridges and talking with more volunteers, we would
like to have some activities with other digital security trainers and users in
general to understand how they learn and get bridges. Relevant ticket:
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31870>

User feedback and support
=========================

After Tor Browser 9 release, users contacted us and asked about:

- Letterboxing: <https://support.torproject.org/tbb/maximized-torbrowser-window/>
  Ticket: <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32324>
- Windows: api-ms-win-crt-convert-l1-1-0.dll is missing -
  <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32327>
- Black screen in some Linux distros:
  <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32215>
- Translation issues in Tor Browser for Android.

Outreach
========

- Pili and Brabo are organizing Tor Project and more privacy activities in
FOSDEM, wiki page:
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2020Brussels>.
[CFP] Decentralized Internet & Privacy devroom @ FOSDEM 2020, deadline for
talks - 1 Dec 2019:
<https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2019q4/002903.html>.

- (Mexico City) Carlos held a workshop about Tails and Tor at UAM university:
<http://multimedia.xoc.uam.mx/index.php/13a-semana-de-la-cultura-digital-en-la-uamxochimilco/>
good news is that 25 computers in the library now have Tor Browser installed,
which used to have only adobe and apple software.

- (Naples) Gus talked about Tor "Aromi e lacrime del routing cipolla", at
MSAck.org hacklab:
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/tor-aromi-e-lacrime-del-routing-cipolla-naples>

- (London) Mozfest: Pili, Gaba, Hiro, Nah and many Tor friends went to Mozfest:
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/mozfest-london>

- (Bern) Ahf talked at Swiss Web Security Day:
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/swiss-web-security-day-bern>

- (Taipei) Roger talked at Tor Sharing:
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/tor-sharing-taipei>

- Global South monthly IRC meeting happened Oct 30th:
<https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/global-south/2019-October/000266.html>
Next Global South meeting scheduled @ 29 November, 1600 UTC, #tor-south

Meta
====