[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 12 November 2019

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Sun Nov 17 11:43:55 UTC 2019

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Wednesday:

1) We started out by looking at the 0.4.2 status page on Trac to see how we are
doing there. #31653 and #31002 was moved to 0.4.3.

2) We went over our Kanban board.

3) We went over our review queue.

4) We talked about proposing the use of 'network-team' as highlight on IRC to
other teams. Nick will bring it to the vegas meeting.

5) Alex requested help with getting someone else to take over the PR policy
work since he keeps pushing it down his todo list. We decided to bring this up
again next week and ideally that Nick and Alex might work on this together.

6) We talked about moving all our doc/HACKING documents into being Doxygen
format. People seemed positive about this.

7) Catalyst requested for more feedback on their proposal for C style.

8) We talked about splitting the tor man page into two manpages: one for tor
and one for torrc.

9) Nobody had anything else to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read today's network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-11-12-17.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

gaba: (updated on october 30th)
    Last week (actual):
    nc migration
    sponsors
    grant proposals
    This week (planned):
    report on sponsor 31
    Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)
    Week of 4 November (actual):
        Take Time for:
            - team policies:
                - commit bit
            - backports
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Merged Disable major relay and dirauth options, when those modules are disabled #32213
              - Merged associated bug fixes #32368 #32370 #32371
              - Fixed more bugs #32410
              - Add NSS (and lzma and zstd) support to test_parseconf.sh #32397
              - Associated bug fixes
              - Code reviews and merges
        Other:
            - Helping with Android issues
            - Bug fixes, ticket triage, and quick reviews
            - Helped out at a local Aaron Swartz Day CryptoBar - gave away some Tor stickers

    Week of 11 November (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - catching up on emails
            - Fix #30901
              - we missed some config bugs last week, because stem always fails in CI
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Fix bugs
              - Do more modularisation (#31851 / #29211)
        Other:
            - Helping with Android issues
            - Bug fixes, ticket triage, and quick reviews
            - Helped out at a local Aaron Swartz Day CryptoBar - gave away some Tor stickers

    Week of 11 November (actual):
        Urgent:
            - Fix Appveyor CI failure #32449
        Take Time for:
            -
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Fix the obsolete option message in 0.4.2 #32295
              - Add extra config tests #32451
              - Disable "Phase 0" code in the relay module #32163 #32244 #32245
              - Start on "Phase 1"
              - Code and design reviews
        Other:
            - Code reviews & ticket triage

Nick:
    Week of 4 November (planned):
        - S31 meeting
        - Doxygen work, tor-guts work. (#29214)
        - Write a lot of documentation for #29215
        - More #30866 work; try to get it merged
        - Start revisions on paper with Ian & Chelsea?
        - Plan for upcoming stable releases.
    Week of 4 November (actual):
        - Doxygen work, and lots of it.
        - Documentation on subsystems and initialization (32211)
        - Finish 30866: most subsystems can now be configured with new API.
        - Suggestions for research on revision of walking onions paper.
    Week of 11 November (planned):
        - Short week because of holiday.
        - Catch up with reviews.
        - Catch up with documentation: 32209 (config), 32207 (pubsub), 29214 (continued subsuming of tor-guts).
        - Finish 32427 (refactor options_act_reversible).
        - Regression analysis on 041-regression,042-regression tickets.
        - 0.4.2.4-rc release.
        - Time permitting (haha): 32139 (configuration isolation for directory authority options)
        - Time permitting (haha): 32408 (refactor new options_act_reversible into new system.)

Mike:
    Week of 11/06 (planned):
        - Finish cleaning up circpad simulator
        - Read asn's research feedback
        - Get DNS recommendations for exit operators for fingerprinting blog post
        - Update + triage circpad bugs
    Week of 11/06 (actual):
        - Refactored circpad simulator; fixed some simulator bugs+issues; a few more remain
          - See: https://github.com/pylls/circpad-sim (and https://github.com/mikeperry-tor/tor/tree/circpad-sim-v2)
    Week of 11/11 (planned):
        - Finish cleaning up circpad simulator
        - Read asn's research feedback
        - Get DNS recommendations for exit operators for fingerprinting blog post
        - Update + triage circpad bugs
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month:
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup
          - (Google masque, BGP, ECN, Rob's bw experiments, Dennis's Mozilla video, etc etc...)

catalyst:
    week of 11/04 (2019-W45) (planned):
        - reviews
        - more sponsor31 architecture doc stuff (#29215)
        - maybe finish up #30984
        - GSoD stuff as needed
    week of 11/04 (2019-W45) (actual):
        - reviews
        - checked in on GSoD stuff -- proposed some ways forward
        - wrote some sponsor31 architecture doc stuff
        - got early review of #30984 (thanks, teor!)
    week of 11/11 (2019-W46) (planned):
        - Monday is a public holiday
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 architecture doc stuff
        - work on splitting out torrc(5) manpage for swati to work on
        - other GSoD stuff as needed
        - monitor C style thread and respond as needed
    help with:
        - would like to hear feedback about whether to split torrc options out of the tor(1) manpage (non-torrc command line options would remain in tor(1)). i think teor might have opionions on this?

asn:
   Week of 04/11 (planned):
   Week of 04/11 (actual):
   - Attended OTF meeting. Started a few email threads as the result of that.
   - Encoding v3 descriptors in stem is currently at the hands of atagar. I'm
     waiting for him to drop a branch soon.
   - Started initial work on actual OBv3 using the OBv2 codebase after
     discussion with Donncha.
   - Catching up with some S27 stuff.
   Week of 12/11 (planned):
   - Look into S27 typo deliverable (#30022)
   - Review atagar's descriptor encoding branch and make it work with OBv3.
   - If possible, write test vectors for descriptor encoding/decoding when stem support stabilizes.  - Move forward with core OBv3 work.
   - Reviews as usual.

ahf:
    Week of 4 November (planned):
    - Travel with Gus to Freedom Not Fear in Brussels.
    - Hack on #28930 and #32320.
    - Continue to see if we can get the asciidoc situation solved for Swati.

    Week of 4 November (actually):
    - Went to Freedom not Fear with Gus in Brussels: we did a Tor meetup with ~20-30 people, a session on onion services, and a session on anti-censorship technology.
    - Continued to try to figure out what is going on for #32320.
    - Shadow Simulation Developer work.

    Week of 11 November (planned):
    - Shadow Simulation Developer things
    - Get back to #28930.
    - Figure out with Swati how things are going there.
    - Retrospective.

dgoulet:
  Week of 04/11 (actual):
    - Worked on #29698 unit tests. Turned out to be not enough. Worked for
      couple hours on recreating the bug through unit tests. I failed but at
      least found: #32388
    - s27: Ticket work several tickets: #32376, #32356, #31371.
    - s27: Discussed work on #32030 with asn on the PR.
    - Reviews and merges. I still have a review backlog unfortunately.
    - Network Health team world needed my attention (bad relays).
  Week of 12/11 (planned):
    - Continue in the s27 world of -must ticket.
    - Hopefully make progress on the intro point retry period (tor-dev@
      thread): #31561
    - Can't promess any progress on #29698 (cmux/ewma). Unit tests is hella
      complicated to pull off.
    - Hope to get to a fix for #32388.

All the best,
Alex.