[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 14 Nov 2019
phw at torproject.org
Thu Nov 14 18:47:44 UTC 2019
Here is our meeting log:
And here is our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday November 14th 18:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
* Projects from sponsors we are working on:
--- 14th November 2019 ---
== Announcements ==
* Remember we are moving to https://nc.torproject.net for nextcloud. If you have anything else in nc.riseup.net or storm.torproject.org please move it
== Discussion ==
* Gettor update
* Survival guide here: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor/wikis/home
* Let's agree on an IRC "team handle" that we configure highlights for. This will allow both team-internal and team-external people to reach our team.
* There already is "network-team" and "tb-team"
* "ac-team" and "anti-censorship-team"
* Kicked out old snowflake proxies with #29207 update
* It will take a while for metrics to come in, but it looks like we still have plenty.
* Cupcake hadn't been updated at all since the original import of Snowflake
* dcf is ready to migrate the Snowflake broker to the IPv6 host (#29258). He can update the snowflake-broker.bamsoftware.com address from which snowflake-broker.freehaven.net will follow. Tor Metrics should automatically start following the new broker after that.
* Just want to be sure people are around to react in case something goes wrong.
* I'd like to copy over the metrics log, but otherwise i'm ready --cohosh
* Sponsor 30: we are skipping the November meeting as Hellais and Phw already met during summit.
Work Plan for November: https://nc.torproject.net/s/7MYXRmTgirqKKyk
* Create an evaluation framework for bridge distribution and selection methods. (anti-censorship team) #31274
* Improve documentation on how to set up a bridge server and different pluggable transport bridge servers. (anti-censorship team) #31280
* Create scripts and configuration code for setting up a bridge on cloud providers to make it easier for operators to launch a new bridge. (anti-censorship team) #31281
* Any update to the roadmap? https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/-/boards
== Actions ==
* Please add your October'19 highlights to our (very late) monthly report: https://pad.riseup.net/p/Z7EjorhnnuNLVnA7Tdda
== Interesting links ==
* Geneva: Evolving Censorship Evasion Strategies: https://censorbib.nymity.ch/pdf/Bock2019a.pdf
* They're using genetic algorithms to derive evasion strategies
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
Started restoring Twitter Responder.
When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
- Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
- More with review of strings and website content and translation
This week (2019-11-14):
* Attended OTF summit.
* Had a chat with Arturo about sponsor 30
* Talked to people about private obfs4 bridge distribution
* Lots of censorship-related information sharing
* Thought about information sharing list for projects that ship obfs4.
* Attended OTF advisory council meeting.
* Filed #32276 to help BridgeDB see client IP addresses of moat requests.
* Merged two new obfs4 bridge setup guides (thanks to egypcio).
* Revised and merged #32203 (no BridgeDB metrics for vanilla bridges); released BridgeDB v0.9.1.
* Updated BridgeDB dependencies because of security issue in pillow.
* More root cause analysis of #15404 (BridgeDB's email responses aren't localised).
* Closed #19839 (untranslated title strings in BridgeDB) because we seem to have fixed it already.
* Reviewed #31310 and #29207.
* Made progress on #31834 (improve Docker container).
* Reviewed status-check script for BridgeDB (will help test our email autoresponder).
Gaba: (updated October 30th)
Last week ():
* sponsor 30
This week (planned):
* more sponsors
- Worked on #28930
- Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
- Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-11-14
- reviewed #31028 (websocket library change)
- ran some tests for #31971 (windows slowness) and couldn't reproduce it
- finished proxy-go tests (#30867)
- sponsor 28 PI meeting (travelled to California)
- reviewed gettor survival guide
- took a look at #32393 (gettor github links broken) and filed #32457 (to get access to gettor machine)
- review of gettor PR
- did a review of work so far on #31874
- deployed 29207 and #30867 at the broker, proxy-go instances, and for web extensions
- started looking at github API for gettor releases (#32480)
- continue on writing snowflake tests (#29259)
- more work on #29206 and #25723
- more grant writing
- have proxies report what kind they are to broker #31157 (related to #29207)
- gettor code reviews
- add more STUN servers to snowflake (#30579)
- come up with a concrete way to measure snowflake network health
week of 09/19 (planned):
- sponsor31 planning
- coding style discussion
- comment on draft network team review guidelines
week of 09/19 (actual):
- sponsor31 planning
- talking with people about proposed network team review processes
week of 09/26 (planned):
- sponsor31 doc coordination
- checking in on Season of Docs work
- finished off / merged #31028
- add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
- read up on turbo tunnel
- reviewed Gorilla WebSocket patch (#31028)
- reviewed proxy-go tests (#30867)
- switch to new IPv6 broker (#29258)
- prototyping KCP and QUIC in meek
- revise ticket about Cupcake patch (#31497)
- need meek-azure to redeploy meek-server for #31890
More information about the tor-project