[tor-project] Tails report for October 2019
sajolida at pimienta.org
Tue Nov 12 11:23:00 UTC 2019
* Tails 4.0 was released on October 22 (major release).
* Tails 4.1 is scheduled for December 3.
The following changes were introduced in Tails 4.0:
- Replace *KeePassX* with *KeePassXC*, which is more actively developed.
- Remove *Scribus*.
- Usability improvements to *Tails Greeter*
- Tails 4.0 starts 20% faster.
- Tails 4.0 requires about 250 MB less of RAM.
- Tails 4.0 is 47 MB smaller to download than Tails 3.16, despite all
- Add support for *Thunderbolt* devices.
- ... and a lot more!
* We finished integrating _Tor Browser_ 9.0 into Tails. (#16356).
* Rafael Bonifaz from the Centro de Autonomía Digital published some
scripts to run a Mumble server and Mumble clients from Tails.
Documentation and website
- We improved our documentation on verifying Tails using OpenPGP.
(#16175 and #15697)
- We improved a lot our manual upgrade documentation, which all users
have to follow to upgrade to Tails 4.0:
- We merged /upgrade and /doc/upgrade.
- We wrote full scenarios to do manual upgrades from:
- Windows: https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/win-overview/
- macOS: https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/mac-overview/
- Linux: https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/linux-overview/
Hot topics on our help desk
1. A lot of people reported having issues installing Tails with Etcher
on MacOS. (#17185)
1. We got also numerous reports from people having trouble to import PGP
keys with Seahorse. (#17183)
1. And some users are facing a graphic issue on computers with two GPU
caused by MAC spoofing running udevadm trigger. (#17199)
* We have published the technical design documentation that describes
the setup of our translation platform.
* We upgraded the SMTP relay behind _WhisperBack_ to a v3 Onion service.
* We made progress towards upgrading _Chutney_ for our test sui.
- We launched our end-of-year donation campaign:
- We blogged about why supporting Tails is more important than
ever and our achievements in 2019.
- We received a very generous anonymous donation of 300 Moneros
(around 15 000€)!
* Tails was presented in Thessaloniki during 2 days for radical
* intrigeri attended the Mozilla Festival on October 26-27 in
London (UK). We held a booth there, talked with lots of people
including a number of Tails users, and ran a "Discover Tails and
translate it into your own language" session.
* There were a Tails workshop and a talk about the last 10 years of
Tails at the privacyweek in Vienna.
* We've started discussing how we will adapt to the fact Firefox
will now be released every 4 weeks.
Press and testimonials
* 2019-10-24: ris announced the release of Tails 4.0 in Linux Weekly
* 2019-10-23: heise.de published a review of Tails 4.0.
* We have issued a call for translations.
* We have published a documentation for translators who
want to use our new web based translation platform.
## All the website
- fr: 89% (5318) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
- es: 51% (3067) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy
- de: 35% (2128) strings translated, 11% strings fuzzy
- it: 31% (1837) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy
- fa: 28% (1694) strings translated, 11% strings fuzzy
- pt: 23% (1364) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy
## Core pages of the website
- fr: 93% (1667) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy
- es: 85% (1523) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy
- de: 64% (1139) strings translated, 16% strings fuzzy
- it: 60% (1071) strings translated, 18% strings fuzzy
- pt: 44% (793) strings translated, 14% strings fuzzy
- fa: 33% (598) strings translated, 14% strings fuzzy
* Tails has been started more than 794 831 times this month.
This makes 25 640 boots a day on average.
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/
UX · Fundraising · Technical Writing
More information about the tor-project