[tor-project] Tails report for October 2019

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Tue Nov 12 11:23:00 UTC 2019

Releases
========

* Tails 4.0 was released on October 22 (major release).

  https://tails.boum.org/news/version_4.0/

* Tails 4.1 is scheduled for December 3.

The following changes were introduced in Tails 4.0:

- Replace *KeePassX* with *KeePassXC*, which is more actively developed.
- Remove *Scribus*.
- Usability improvements to *Tails Greeter*
- Tails 4.0 starts 20% faster.
- Tails 4.0 requires about 250 MB less of RAM.
- Tails 4.0 is 47 MB smaller to download than Tails 3.16, despite all
  these changes.
- Add support for *Thunderbolt* devices.
- ... and a lot more!

Code
====

* We finished integrating _Tor Browser_ 9.0 into Tails. (#16356).

* Rafael Bonifaz from the Centro de Autonomía Digital published some
  scripts to run a Mumble server and Mumble clients from Tails.

https://autonomia.digital/es/tails/mumble/anonymity/2019/10/09/tails-mumble.html

Documentation and website
=========================

- We improved our documentation on verifying Tails using OpenPGP.
  (#16175 and #15697)

  https://tails.boum.org/install/download#openpgp

- We improved a lot our manual upgrade documentation, which all users
  have to follow to upgrade to Tails 4.0:

  - We merged /upgrade and /doc/upgrade.

  - We wrote full scenarios to do manual upgrades from:

    - Windows: https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/win-overview/
    - macOS: https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/mac-overview/
    - Linux: https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/linux-overview/

Hot topics on our help desk
===========================

1. A lot of people reported having issues installing Tails with Etcher
   on MacOS. (#17185)

1. We got also numerous reports from people having trouble to import PGP
   keys with Seahorse. (#17183)

1. And some users are facing a graphic issue on computers with two GPU
   caused by MAC spoofing running udevadm trigger. (#17199)

Infrastructure
==============

* We have published the technical design documentation that describes
  the setup of our translation platform.

  https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/translation_platform/

* We upgraded the SMTP relay behind _WhisperBack_ to a v3 Onion service.

* We made progress towards upgrading _Chutney_ for our test sui.
  (#16792)

Funding
=======

- We launched our end-of-year donation campaign:

  - We blogged about why supporting Tails is more important than
    ever and our achievements in 2019.

    https://tails.boum.org/news/2019-fundraiser/
    https://tails.boum.org/news/achievements_in_2019/

  - We received a very generous anonymous donation of 300 Moneros
    (around 15 000€)!

Outreach
========

Past events
-----------

* Tails was presented in Thessaloniki during 2 days for radical
  technologies:

  https://anopoli.espivblogs.net/2019/10/03/2-days-for-radical-technologies/

* intrigeri attended the Mozilla Festival on October 26-27 in
  London (UK). We held a booth there, talked with lots of people
  including a number of Tails users, and ran a "Discover Tails and
  translate it into your own language" session.

  https://www.mozillafestival.org/

* There were a Tails workshop and a talk about the last 10 years of
  Tails at the privacyweek in Vienna.

  https://privacyweek.at/

On-going discussions
====================

* We've started discussing how we will adapt to the fact Firefox
  will now be released every 4 weeks.

Press and testimonials
======================

* 2019-10-24: ris announced the release of Tails 4.0 in Linux Weekly
  News.

  https://lwn.net/Articles/802876/

* 2019-10-23: heise.de published a review of Tails 4.0.

https://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Tails-4-0-mit-neuem-Linux-und-aktualsierten-Anwendungen-4565641.html

Translations
============

* We have issued a call for translations.

  https://tails.boum.org/news/call-for-translations/

* We have published a documentation for translators who
  want to use our new web based translation platform.

  https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/with_translation_platform/

## All the website

  - fr: 89% (5318) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
  - es: 51% (3067) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy
  - de: 35% (2128) strings translated, 11% strings fuzzy
  - it: 31% (1837) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy
  - fa: 28% (1694) strings translated, 11% strings fuzzy
  - pt: 23% (1364) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy

## Core pages of the website

  - fr: 93% (1667) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy
  - es: 85% (1523) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy
  - de: 64% (1139) strings translated, 16% strings fuzzy
  - it: 60% (1071) strings translated, 18% strings fuzzy
  - pt: 44% (793) strings translated, 14% strings fuzzy
  - fa: 33% (598) strings translated, 14% strings fuzzy

Metrics
=======

* Tails has been started more than 794 831 times this month.
  This makes 25 640 boots a day on average.

--
sajolida
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/