[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 28 May 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Wed May 29 00:25:36 UTC 2019

Hi!

You can find our meeting logs at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-05-28-23.00.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Tuesday 28 May at 2300 UTC (Monday is a
US public holiday) on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

May schedule:
    * Tuesday 28 May at 2300 UTC (Monday is a US public holiday)

June schedule:
    * Monday 3 June at 1700 UTC (The 28 May meeting was at the patch party time)
    * Monday 10 June at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 17 June at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 24 June at 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
29 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002310.html
 6 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002316.html
13 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002325.html
20 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002335.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
.

* See discussion notes below.

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.

And it is ok to reschedule things.

-------------------------------
---- 28 May 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

Rotation updates: (CI/coverity mikeperry->nickm; bug triage catalyst->dgoulet)

No new coverity issues

Stale jenkins freebsd issue tagged and put on CI page (whose link is
at the top of this pad)

Bug triage queries are clean (or were earlier today)

Should Tor controllers be able to change DisableAllSwap at runtime?

Tor hangs a lot when stem sets "DisableAllSwap 1" on Travis (#30235)

If it should work, we need to fix DisableAllSwap.

(I think this is moot; I talked with teor about it around 48 hours ago? -nickm)

ahf (27/05): arma wonders if we already run valgrind as part of our
release checklist? if no, should it be added somehow? see #30629

IMO we should do this in CI if it's really necessary.  But we should
also figure out why our existing sanitizers didn't notice 30629. -nm

Our control refactor caused at least two regressions: #30580 #30646.
How can we make sure there aren't any others?

== Recommended links ==

On allyship in newsrooms but also in workplaces:
https://source.opennews.org/articles/how-be-ally-newsroom/
On roles in tech teams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KClAPipnKqw

On feedback and how to do it well (focused on art school, but it also
works for code):
  https://captainawkwarddotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/peepasgotomay1.pdf

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:

Last week (actual):

. retrospective

. meeting with briar on funding for dormant mode

. reading documents for new sponsor (28)

This week (planned):

. check sponsor V work until now

. monthly report for sponsor 27 (onion services)

Help with:

teor: (online for 28 May, offline at the usual meeting time)
    Week of 21 May (planned):
        - Something fun, interesting, and engaging
        - Catch up on backlog
        - Sponsor 19
        - 041-must
        - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild
    Week of 21 May (actual):
        - Urgent:
            - Started fallback directory mirror list rebuild process
with Gus (#28793)
            - Worked on more travis stem timeout issues (#29437)
              - It looks like stem hangs on its own CI, not just Tor's CI
              - We should have a controller trace soon, to help us
find out which side is hanging
        - Important:
            - Catch up on backlog
            - Retrospective and other meetings
            - HR stuff x3
        - Other:
            - Moderation on tor-relays
            - Answer easy questions and do quick tickets
            - Started on #16564 (reject bridge descriptors on
non-bridge authorities)
            - Rewrote the CI for stem, found some bugs (#28170)

Nick:

    Week of 20 May (planned):
        - Review and merge as top priority
        - S19 work as second priority.
        - 041 work as needed
        - try to triage and assign 041 tasks
        - try to release 0.4.1.1-alpha
        - Work on privcount integration, time permitting

    Week of 20 May (actual):
        - Review and merge, lots of it
        - Lots of meetings
        - Released 0.4.1.1-alpha
        - Tried to figure out some older bugs
        - 041-must and 041-should issues
        - 26848 (make sure sendme cells reflect some random data)
        - Started investigating PT transition bugs (29875, 24367), not
much progress

    Week of 28 May (planned):
        - More for on PT transition bugs (29875, 24367). Fix?
        - More for on 041-must/should items
        - Chutney CI work with teor, tbd
        - Try to figure out stem CI issue with teor, tbd
        - Followup on issues from retrospective

dgoulet: (will be afk for meeting)
  Week of 05/20 (actual):
    - Reviews and merges (See timeline).
    - Finalized all #26288 children meaning finalizing #30428 madness and
      #30365 to integrate authenticated SENDMEs in tor-spec.txt. Review on
      #26846 done by nickm.
    - Worked on s27 #30382 and wrote proposal 304 for it.
  Week of 05/28 (planned):
    - Sponsor 27 tickets. #30382, #15516 if I can get to it (DoS related).
    - Posted on tor-dev@ prop304. Code is done as well, need review from asn
      to continue further.
    - s27 related is #29034 that I finally got time to do. It is in
      needs_review and it should allow us to close 3 tickets in the pipe.

[what is the situation with #29607? --gaba]

Mike:
  Week of 5/20 (planned):
    - Bugfixing
    - Peer feedback, doh!
    - Spend time getting back up to speed on CI/Coverity
    - Work on circpad documentation; start mailing researchers
  Week of 5/20 (actual):
    - Laptop issues
    - Mailed researchers re circpad
  Week of 5/28 (planned):
    - Laptop issues
    - Scalability meeting
    - Peer feedback
    - Register for PETS
    - Circpad relay-side warn log bug
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30649)
    - Maybe circpad documentation?

catalyst:

    week of 05/20 (2019-W21) (planned):
        - reviews
        - bug triage rotation
        - #29976
    week of 05/20 (2019-W21) (actual):
        - reviews
        - bug triage
        - #29976 pull request
    week of 05/27 (2019-W22) (planned):
        - reviews
        - revise #29976
        - other bootstrap work?

asn:
   Week of 05/13 (planned):
   - Continue coding #30381 so that we unblock the TB team.
   - Keep on working on the DoS stuff by the side.
   - Got lots of reviews for this week. Got a few more last midweek, so I got
     stuff to do here.
   Week of 05/13 (actual):
   - Pretty big delta from the "planned" week since we got overflowed by
     WTF-PAD tasks last week given the 041 freeze. Spent most of the week
     testing, revising and rebasing #28634, #28780 and #29085.
Everything is merged now,
     so hooray us!
   - Finished all peer feedback.
   - Did a meeting with hackerone and paid out a bug hunter for old bugs.
   - Bug triage duty: The bug triage queries are empty again.
   - Was sick on Friday.
   Week of 05/20 (actual):
   - Will be medically away for most of the week. Will try to be back on Friday
     but still unclear. Will also try to attend the retrospective.

ahf (offline maybe? or in the sofa at very least 8)
    Week of 20/5 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Follow up on revision requests of #5304 and #28930
            - Finish #28930
            - Finish my last bits on some Snowflake patches that I have kept
              postponing (will probably spend all of Thursday or Friday on
              that).
    Week of 20/5 (actually):
        Network team:
            - Progress on #28930.
            - #5304 and #28849 is still pending review, but no changes
last week.
            - Got most of my #29736 patches cleaned up and uploaded to GH.
            - Messed around with a way of loading .so compiled PT's
into Tor. Hope to have a prototype
              ready before next week.
        Misc:
            - Tried to write a bot using the Trac XML-RPC API with the help
              from Hiro, but we haven't managed to make it work yet.
    Week of 29/5 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Continue with S19 tasks.
            - Begin review process of #29736 patches with cohosh while
I finish the last bits.
        Misc:
            - Need to prepare a presentation for an event in Switzerland next
              week that Steph asked if I was up for. Going to be away some of
              the 5th of June while traveling for this event and the
presentation is the 6th.
            - End of month tasks.
            - Away on Friday due to the "Ascension Day" (all the Danish
              holidays will be over soon!).

juga(offline):
    Week of 05/13 (planned)
       - Continue with #30311, #30406, #30373 as needed
    Week of 05/13 (actual)
       - Continued with #30406: Refactor header constants in sbws to
use Stem's one
    Week of 05/20 (plan)
       - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)