[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 16 May 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu May 16 18:50:26 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-05-16-17.01.html

Here is our meeting pad:

ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday May 16th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings every Thursday 17:00 UTC on #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

THE Anti-censorship Roadmap (kanban board): https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM <-- a subset of tasks from trac that the team is working on. (There is a bug in wekan, what we use for the board, that make it hard to load. You have to click in 'all boards' and then in the board to get it to load)

Roadmap by topic: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KXkqlNP8ouNks_ey5khZKUSbNj9ZoidXmEp80ODDMsN

Gettor Roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/rhsSl_3Pb253HPqoCdFiAdmXQ57NUG_BLvBCxqF_Kqp

Roger's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kU83M2pQehsnQZPzR_mwmYslAijqKgYNOEak57TSLAt
Komlo's thoughts on anti-censorship's plan: https://pad.riseup.net/p/CensorshipTeam-Planning-keep

PTO Calendar: Ask gaba for the link and keep it up to date with when you are not going to be around.

---------------------------
----    16th May 2019  ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

- Let's start thinking about the Tor meeting in July and if this team needs any private session (maybe roadmap & retrospective for the team?) https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2019Stockholm/DailyAgenda .

== Discussion ==

    * We just retired 19 default bridges.  Where should we get new ones?
        * We're left with: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/DefaultBridges
        * Team Cymru may be willing to help again, but we should decentralise our operators.
        * University contacts?
    * Roger is asking what the current state of IPv6 and Snowflake because a research group wants to run a Snowflake test on a large IPv6 block. (ahf: 11/5)
    * See kat5's "help with"
    * Should we do #5304 as part of s19? The change seems trivial to do, but might be a good idea? Propagating OutboundBindAddress to PT's.

[Announcement I forgot] Please spread the word about the Mozilla Research Grant for Tor https://blog.torproject.org/mozilla-research-call-tune-tor-integration-and-scale

== Actions ==

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    Last week:
        - What you worked on last week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro:
    This week (2019-05-16):
        - Revised gettor code with phw
        - Merge new code
        - Deploy gettor
        - See who has access to gettor repository in torgit
        - Sync torgit repository with dip
        - Port tickets from roadmap to dip
    Next week:
        - Add more tests to gettor
        - Work on twitter distribution channel
    Past week:
            - Rebase gettor PR with phw
            - Started testing framework

phw:
  This week (2019-05-16):
    - Revised instructions for setting up an obfs4 bridge.
      https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports/obfs4proxy
      See also https://bugs.torproject.org/30471
    - Implemented web service that lets bridge operators scan the reachability of their obfs4 port:
      https://github.com/NullHypothesis/obfs4PortScan
    - Filed ticket for automated PT reachability testing
      https://bugs.torproject.org/30472
    - Emailed default bridge operators to set 'BridgeDistribution none' in their torrc
    - Reviewed GetTor refactor
    - Talked to researchers about GFW's current active probing behavior and reproduced it
      + Looks like recent tors use a TLS client hello that the GFW does not detect
      + Filed https://bugs.torproject.org/30500
    - Started working on a fix for https://bugs.torproject.org/30512
  Next week:
    - Look into httpsproxy
    - Get closer to launching "set up obfs4 bridges" campaign
  Help with:
    - Review of https://github.com/NullHypothesis/obfs4PortScan (all in golang)

hiro:
    Working on GetTor. It has been refactored taking into account latest development from Isra.
    https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/hiro/gettor.git/tree/?h=refactoring
            * It now uses twisted server so it is easier to develop new features.
            * Code has been cleaned
            * It has been refactored to allow tests.
            * It is working at gettor+test at torproject.org.
    Todo:
            * review the new code (#28152)
            * merge and deploy the new code. It is in testing right now but not production.

Gaba:
   Last week:
    This week (05/16):
            * look at s19 and what is that we are completing in May

ahf
    Last week (2019/05/09):
        - Gitlab is working for people with Tor LDAP access. Go to https://dip.torproject.org/ - click "Forgot your password?" - enter your torproject.org email and receive login instructions. Guest login is coming and trac ticket migration is something we are looking at.
        - Talked Dormant mode and PT with Nick M yesterday. Would like to discuss that during this meeting.
        - Spend some of Monday splitting up anti-censorship team tasks from network team tasks on our roadmaps together with Gaba and Catalyst
        - Still finishing off #29736
    This week (2019/05/16):
        - Progress on dormant changes in #28849 - thanks to dcf for review! Going to update the spec/patch today.
        - Working on #28930 (proxy/pt bootstrap re-ordering). Got some help from Catalyst already.

kat5:
      Last week (May 6):
        - Content for newer tickets
     This week (May 13):
        - Updates for completed work
        - Edits from hiro's review of GetTor content
        - A few updates for monitoring tickets
        - finalize report
      -  NEEDS HELP:
      - Which of the "In Review" tickets should we mark as completed in the report?
     - I've added content for ~10 tickets since phw and cohosh have reviewed. Does anyone want to review the final doc? Or the diffs? The changes are not big or complicated.

dcf: 2019-05-15 (will miss 2019-05-16 meeting)
    Last week:
        - merged uTLS for meek-client (#29077)
        - helped with broker certificate problem (#30509)
        - reviewed dormant mode spec changes (#28849)
        - reviewed Snowflake broker certificate cache (#30512)
        - reviewed Snowflake read limits (#26348)
    Next week:
        - AMP cache/QUIC prototyping
        - make graphs using the old unsanitized broker logs before the June 1 deletion deadline
    Help with:
        - I will not have much time next week but I'm aware of these tickets that need review:
            - #30511 Remove OnIceComplete
            - #30451, https://github.com/keroserene/go-webrtc/pull/105 snowflake-client has executable stack

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-05-16
    Last week:
        - snowflake
            - provisionally deployed proxy geoip metrics (#29734)
            - revised guard against large reads (#26348)
            - fixed snowflake executable stack problem (#30451)
            - worked on finer-grained snowflake blocking tests (#30368)
            - helped with broker outage (#30509)
    This week:
        - snowflake
            - start implementing a (simple) sequencing/reliability layer for snowflake client traffic (#25429)
            - clean up and increase test coverage for snowflake (#29259)
            - continue hacking on windows build (#25483)
            - review obfs4PortScan
            - update snowbox to simulate observed snowflake blocking behaviour
            - review #30511
    Help with:
            - metrics feedback on #21315 (broker stats) before merge of #29734 (geoip metrics of proxies)

catalyst:

    week of 5/9 (planned):
        - get #29976 ready for review
        - open other bootstrap reporting tickets as needed
        - peer and team leader feedback
    week of 5/9 (actual):
        - [redacted]
        - peer and team leader feedback in progress
    week of 5/16 (planned):
        - get #29976 ready for review
        - peer and team leader feedback
        - help ahf more with bootstrap stuff as needed

arlolra: 2019-05-16
    Last week:
        - snowflake webextension
        - js proxy refactoring