[tor-project] April 2019 report for the Tor Browser team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri May 10 15:22:00 UTC 2019

Hi everyone!

Here comes the April report for the Tor Browser team (a bit late this
time, but hey!). In that month we got Tor Browser 8.5a11[1] out which
above all contains improvements for Tor Browser for Android stabilizing
the alpha release and preparing for the first mobile stable one.

Unfortunately we did not manage to get Tor Browser 8.5 out in April,
thus this will happen in May. However, we made progress on a number of
other fronts: We got up to speed on our Sponsor 27 tasks and started
investigating different options for reporting onion service errors back
from tor to the browser[2][3] and we started to work on Snowflake
integration into the mobile Tor Browser[4]. Both sponsor work will keep
parts of the team busy in May as well. Moreover, we started to plan our
upcoming Firefox 68 ESR transition work.

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in April is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201904` keyword in our bug tracker.[5]

In May we'll finally release Tor Browser 8.5. That will not only be the
first stable release for Android users but will have restored full
accessibility support for Windows users, too[6]. Moreover, we hope as
well to finish our Snowflake integration on Android to have additional
capacity to work on the first big tasks for the Firefox 68 ESR
transition: toolchain updates for all supported platforms[7] and
rebasing our patches and upstreaming them if possible[8].

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201905` keyword in our bug tracker.[9]

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a11
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14389
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30382