[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 9 May 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu May 9 18:03:45 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-05-09-17.01.html

Here is our meeting pad:

ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday May 16th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings every Thursday 17:00 UTC on #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

THE Anti-censorship Roadmap (kanban board):
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
<-- a subset of tasks from trac that the team is working on. (There is a
bug in wekan, what we use for the board, that make it hard to load. You
have to click in 'all boards' and then in the board to get it to load)

Roadmap by topic:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KXkqlNP8ouNks_ey5khZKUSbNj9ZoidXmEp80ODDMsN

Gettor Roadmap:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/rhsSl_3Pb253HPqoCdFiAdmXQ57NUG_BLvBCxqF_Kqp

Roger's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kU83M2pQehsnQZPzR_mwmYslAijqKgYNOEak57TSLAt
Komlo's thoughts on anti-censorship's plan:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/CensorshipTeam-Planning-keep

PTO Calendar: Ask gaba for the link and keep it up to date with when you
are not going to be around.

---------------------------
----    9th May 2019   ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

- Let's start thinking about the Tor meeting in July and if this team
  needs any private session (maybe roadmap & retrospective for the
team?)
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2019Stockholm/DailyAgenda
. We can discuss in next weekly meeting.

== Discussion ==

    * Revise "Obfuscation" component on trac
        * Call it "circumvention" because we do more than just
        * "obfuscation"
        * Move "Obfsproxy" to the "Archive" component
        * Create a new category called "Obfs4"
        * Add a "Miscellaneous" or "Other" field
        * Anything else?
    * Dormant mode and PT's. See dcf's email from December 2018 (sponsor
    * 8):
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-December/013589.html
    * [reminder] Is the roadmap up to date with what you are working on
    * related to sponsor work?
    * https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM

== Actions ==

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    Last week:
        - What you worked on last week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to
          anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

phw:
  This week (2019-05-09):
    - Submitted BridgeDB usage statistics proposal to Tor research
      safety board.
    - Reviewed https://bugs.torproject.org/28152
    - Discussed informal bridge user study (similar to dcf1's PETS'17
      paper) with cohosh:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-May/000448.html
    - Created our first monthly report
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002317.html
    - Set up a proxy-go snowflake
    - Tried to figure out why BridgeDB would hand out so many offline
      bridges
      https://bugs.torproject.org/30441
    - Started emailing default bridge operators to set
      "BridgeDistribution none" in their torrc
    - Sent email to obfs4 bridge op whose obfuscation port wasn't
      working
    - Worked on a simple script to do simple TCP SYN reachability scan
      for obfs4 bridges
      - We currently have nothing that does any scanning :(
  Next week:
  Help with:

hiro:
    GetTor Status
    https://nc.riseup.net/s/na23xE4MJH2rsoD

Gaba:
   Last week:
    This week (05/09):
            * look at s19 and what is that we are completing in May

ahf
    This week (2019/05/09):
        - Gitlab is working for people with Tor LDAP access. Go to
          https://dip.torproject.org/ - click "Forgot your password?" -
enter your torproject.org email and receive login instructions. Guest
login is coming and trac ticket migration is something we are looking
at.
        - Talked Dormant mode and PT with Nick M yesterday. Would like
          to discuss that during this meeting.
        - Spend some of Monday splitting up anti-censorship team tasks
          from network team tasks on our roadmaps together with Gaba and
Catalyst
        - Still finishing off #29736

kat5:
      Last week (May 6):
        - Content for newer tickets
     This week (May 13):
        - Updates for completed work
        - Comprehensive review/edit

dcf: 2019-05-09
    Last week:
        - snowflake code review (#3008, #30206, #26348, #23888)
        - QUIC prototyping
    Next week:
        - merge uTLS for meek-client (#29077)
        - AMP cache/QUIC prototyping
    Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-05-09
    Last week:
        - snowflake
            - set up tests to observe snowflake proxy reachability and
              posted results so far (#30368)
            - continued (slowly) hacking on the windows build (#25483)
              in the background. I should probably get a better build
machine.
            - fixed problem with overzealous log sanitization (#30434)
            - merged and deployed log sanitization problem and proxy-go
              segault fix (#30206)
    This week:
        - snowflake
            - start implementing a sequencing/reliability layer for
              snowflake client traffic (#25429)
            - look at STUN protocol and see if we can set up finer
              grained tests for #30368
            - revision of guard against large reads (#26348)
            - clean up and increase test coverage for snowflake (#29259)
            - continue hacking on windows build (#25483)
    Help with:
            - metrics feedback on #21315 (broker stats) before merge of
              #29734 (geoip metrics of proxies)
            - i want to move ahead on implementing a
              sequence/reliability layer for snowflake client-proxy. Can
someone check
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25429#comment:8
                and see if it's a good direction to move in?

catalyst:

    week of 5/2 (planned):
        - get #29976 into reviewable shape
        - more sponsor31 stuff (control.c refactoring)
    week of 5/2 (actual):
        - some progress on #29976
        - [redacted]
    week of 5/9 (planned):
        - get #29976 ready for review
        - open other bootstrap reporting tickets as needed
        - peer and team leader feedback

arlolra: 2019-05-09
    Last week:
        - snowflake webextension