[tor-project] Anti-censorship team monthly report: April 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Wed May 8 23:42:41 UTC 2019

Snowflake
---------

* Shipped a few snowflake fixes

* Worked on collecting metrics of snowflake use
  - Implemented geoip stats for snowflake proxies:
    https://bugs.torproject.org/29734
  - Coordinating with metrics team to safely export these statistics:
    https://bugs.torproject.org/21315

* Witnessed the first blocking of snowfake proxies in China
  - https://bugs.torproject.org/30350
  - Created https://bugs.torproject.org/30368
    to measure this blocking

BridgeDB
--------

* Moved forward with gathering BridgeDB statistics
  - http://bugs.torproject.org/9316
  - Wrote and submitted proposal for Tor research safety board:
    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2019-April/000004.html
  - Coordinated with Karsten on statistics format

* Implemented fix to not hand out probing-resistance transports
  - https://bugs.torproject.org/28655
  - Under review and not yet deployed

* Filed https://bugs.torproject.org/30103 to make BridgeDB's email
  addresses consistent

GetTor
------

* Created roadmap

* Filed https://bugs.torproject.org/30247 to better understand GetTor
  usage

Miscellaneous

* Created a team wiki page:
  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam

* Updated roadmap bringing issues from network team's roadmap (related
  to snowflake, bridgedb and PTs)

* Surveyed who is running our default bridges
  - https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/DefaultBridges
  - Filed https://bugs.torproject.org/30264 to discuss the way forward

* Conducted a probing study to determine the reachability of private
  obfs4 bridges
  - https://bugs.torproject.org/29279
  - Learned that obfs4 is not being blocked at the transport level