[tor-project] Notes from May 2 2019 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri May 3 06:39:04 UTC 2019

Notes for May 2 2019 meeting:

Nick:
1) Coding, hacking, time is moving forward.
2) spoke at MIT 6.858 about Tor; got some student interest

Steph:
1) We have a small fundraiser happening in NYC May 14 with help of a
volunteer. I got our eventbrite page set up, and it is being shared
among the cryptocurrency community in town for Ethereum Summit.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/building-private-censorship-resistant-tech-a-chat-with-the-co-founder-of-tor-tickets-60477034438
2) Talking with Blockchain Association of Africa tomorrow — they want to
explore a partnership
3) Newsletter went out this week
4) Published Google Season of Docs post

Sarah:
1) We continue to bring in more cryptocurrency donations. We are up to
over $54k since 3/1.
2) Newsletter to sponsors will go out today, pending Isa’s final approval.
3) Hoping monthly donor page will go live today or tomorrow and I’ll
send out invite to ~1,000 people who have given in the recent past.
4) Changes to DRL proposal for the anti-censorship team were submitted.
5) Drafting letter to for-profits explaining the ways in which they can
help Tor.
6) Meeting with Georgia from SimplySecure today to talk about funding
opportunities.

Antonela:
1) Working on wrapping up OONI Explore for MOSS delivery
2) Working on #30000, OTF
3) Working on #27399, #29955 TBA
4) Writing peer-reviews
5) Coordinating user research reporting with Caroline for Q1, travels
for Q2, Nah reporting from Colombia
6) Synced with SimplySecure about NoScript redesign
7) Will meet with OKThanks about tpi/tpo brand future
8) Made a visual proposal for the Defenders of Privacy campaign
9) Worked on [Donate Now] changes on tpo.org
10) Writing a recap about the L10n lab design summit we ran before IFF

Mike:
1) tor-scalability meeting work
2) Finishing up Sponsor2 for Tor 0.4.1

Karsten:
1) Have a working CollecTor branch that archives bandwidth files. Still
needs review and should be deployed in ~1.5 weeks from now.
2) Discussed a couple of OnionPerf improvements that will provide more
detailed results from existing measurements, including better error
codes and partial completion timestamps.

Georg:
1) We plan to release Tor Browser 8.5 in the coming days if all goes well
2) More coordination with HackerOne about our bug bounty program
3) Feedback mails
4) Roger: what's up with your tor-security list considerations? [I think
we should either remove me from the list, or strip the encryption part
of the list. I find it unmanageable with the spam and my gpg set up, so
I don't read it. -RD]

isabela:
1) preparing for Board meeting on Friday (may 3)
2) preparing for meeting with MDF on Friday (may 3)
3) reviewed grant proposals and all copy related to our launch of the
monthly donors program
4) working on a 'vintage sale' type of promotion for folks who haven't
donated yet to Tor (old swags spring clean)
5) waiting list invites for dev meeting are late - but they will be sent
out soon

Gaba:
1) looking at the call for researchers from moz to work on performance
at Tor
2) s27 report
3) following wrap up work at ooni
4) trying to setup monthly retrospective at the network team

Roger:
1) Finishing up usenix security reviews and shepherding (this week was
the PC meeting). That saga finally finishes this week. (I declined my
invite for next year.)
2) I submitted a defcon talk, which involves encouraging Cecylia and
Philipp to make some solid usability progress on pluggable transport
things by August.
3) I started encouraging us to post a blog post about the Mozilla
performance research grants, but somebody still needs to move that
forward. [coordinating with steph --gaba]
4) It looks like all three of the us (me, Cecylia, Philipp) will be
going to the RACE kickoff meeting. I figure that's our best chance of
figuring out what RACE is, and influencing it into being most useful to us.
5) I'm going to answer an NYU ITP guest lecture invite for Monday night,
with yes. If anybody in NYC area wants to join, let me know! [i'm
interested -steph]

Sue:
1) General accounting processes

Erin:
1) Finishing up with OONI dev recruiting
2) general HR stuff

Pili:
1) S9 Phase 3 Workplan
2) Google Season of Docs
 - We got accepted!
 - Started answering a few GSoD enquiries

Arturo:
1) Working hard on OONI Explorer
2) Working towards OONI Probe mobile 2.1.0 release with measurement
upload support