[tor-project] March 2019 Tor User Feedback Report

wayward waywardwyrd at riseup.net
Wed May 1 02:47:24 UTC 2019

Hey, team!

Welcome to the March 2019 user feedback report!

For more information on what users and community members were talking
about this month, check out the February/March 2019 User Feedback pad [1].

Feedback in March was largely focused on the website redesign. Most
notably, users are having a hard time finding things they're looking
for, including Tor Browser alpha builds, the expert bundle [2], and
signature files. I've opened some trac tasks to help us track progress
towards making things easier to find, namely signature verification
instructions [3] and Tor Browser alpha builds [4].

Otherwise...

- Reddit was mostly full of curious users wanting to know more about how
to protect their anonymity, both with and without Tor Browser.

- User reported bugs found in Tor Browser were mostly bugs we've been
tracking for months - not much new there.

Now, on to the feedback! Scroll further down to see a summary of Reddit
posts, some points from Google Play Store reviews, a list of the most
common Stack Exchange tags from the month, and a collection of some
notable issues and bugs mentioned by users in March.

---

Most common questions on Reddit:
- If I do ___ while connected to Tor, will it compromise my anonymity?
- What can I do to increase my security?

---

TBA Reviews & Feedback on Google Play Store:

The average review score is still at 4.2 stars.
Some users mentioned that they miss the settings menu in TBA. Connection
issues seem to have gone up during the month of March.

---

Most common stack exchange tags:

tor-browser-bundle: 13 this month
configuration: 13 this month
connection: 8 this month
tails: 7 this month
bridge: 6 this month
anonymity: 5 this month
hidden-services: 5 this month

---

Notable bugs, fixes, & issues mentioned by users:

- #29872: Searching from about:tor cause a NoScript XSS warning popup -
CLOSED - FIXED
- #29886: NoScript icon is still visible in context menu after the fix
for #25658 landed - OPEN
- #28290: Don't allow fingerprinting via navigator.userAgent - OPEN
- #27608: TB 8.5a1 failed to check for noscript updates because of
missing manifest type - OPEN
- #29032: Tor Browser 8.0.4 stops working correctly in Virtualbox on
Windows - OPEN
- #29807: Tor Browser requires discrete graphics on my Mac - OPEN -
NEEDS INFORMATION
- #29031: Tor Browser for Android (Alpha) does not accept Torrc Custom
Config lines - OPEN

---

That's it for the month of March! If you want to know more, please do
check out the February/March 2019 User Feedback pad [1] or reach out to
me via email (waywardwyrd at riseup dot net) or IRC (wayward).

Thanks for reading!

- wayward

------

Annotations: