[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 20 June 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Jun 20 18:08:24 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-06-20-17.00.html

Here is our meeting pad:

ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday June 20th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
        * Note that there's a bug that causes the roadmap to load slowly.  To work around it, first click on "All boards", and then on "ROADMAP Anti-censorship team"
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/anti-censorship/gettor/boards
        * Hiro is currently experimenting with gitlab.
    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

---------------------------
----   20th June 2019  ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    * Sponsor 28 (RACE) next meeting will be on June 27th 1800 UTC at #tor-meeting

== Discussion ==

    * do we want to move to gitlab for snowflake? (try only with one component for now) --> we are going to wait until the issue of "guests filling tickets in gitlab" is resolved.
        * gaba created https://dip.torproject.org/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/boards

    * Let's test our obfs4 setup guide by asking people on tor-relays@ to set up new obfs4 bridges?
    * WebSocket in Snowflake: next steps. (ahf)

    * trac management: can we 'own' tickets only when we are working on them? if you are interested in a ticket then add yourself to cc.
    * is #23888 going to be able to happen on time? do we need to take it?

== Actions ==

    *

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro: (gettor days are Thursday)
    This week:
    Next week:
    Past week:

phw:
  This week (2019-06-20):
        * Reviewed #21315 (publish some realtime stats from the broker?)
        * Mostly implemented #9316 (BridgeDB should export statistics)
        * Got a frontdesk account and had a look at bridge-related tickets
        * With Cecylia's help compiled summary of what we know about the GFW and active probing
        * Pinged ICLab team again to see if they can periodically scan at least our default bridges
        * Sent more emails to PT implementers
            * So far only one response
        * Tested #23888 (Creating a Snowflake WebExtension addon) and left feedback
        * Went through old tor-dev@ threads to compile feedback on improving the PT spec
  Next week:
        * More work on moving forward with PT spec
        * More thinking about improving obfs4
        * Get #9316 reviewed
        * Create a blog post for our sponsor 19 report #2.
  Help with:
        * Brainstorming features of obfs4 successor, and how to improve PT spec

Gaba: (updated 2019-06-20)
   Last week:
            * playing with gitlab for snowflake: https://dip.torproject.org/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/boards
            * prepare tor meeting schedule
    This week (05/30):
            *

ahf
    Last week:
        - Talked with Cecylia about WebSocket + authentication patches in https://github.com/ahf/snowflake/tree/features/websocket_r5
          and what we should do next. (#29736 and friends)
        - Hack on #28930
    This week:
        - Work on #28930

kat5:
      Last week (May 20):
    This week (May 27):

dcf: 2019-06-20
    Last week:
        - brainstormed some problems with the PT spec (https://bugs.torproject.org/29285#comment:5 )
        - wrote ideas about protocol versioning and backward compatibility (#30704)
        - reviewed sequencing layer (#29206)
        - added meek-azure bridge, meek-azure CDN, and snowflake-broker CDN to the infrastructure survey
    Next week:
        - will be mostly offline next week, will miss 2019-06-27 meeting
        - look at WebExtension changes in https://bugs.torproject.org/23888#comment:24
        - publish post-sanitization broker logs (#30731)
    Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-06-13
    Last week:
        - submitted some PR's for pion/webrtc
        - starting modifying our snowflake code to use pion/webrtc as the library (#28942)
        - started familiarizing myself with Chutney
        - took a look at the snowflake webextension changes (#23888)
    Next week: (AFK on Friday)
        - update default STUN configuration (#26348)
        - address dcf's feedback on the sequencing layer (#29206)
        - continue work with integrating/evaluating pion/webrtc (#28942)
        - familiarize self with PT spec
    Help with:
            - broker stats (#21315) need a metrics team review (should we deploy what we have and store the output locally?)
            - browser team help for mingw toolchain (#25483)

catalyst:
    week of 06/13 (planned):
        - mostly focusing on sponsor31
    week of 06/13 (actual):
        - cleaned up (and relinquished) more of my owned tickets
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff (control.c refactoring)
    week of 06/20 (planned):
        - mostly sponsor31

arlolra: 2019-06-20
    Last week:
        - nothing
    This week:
        - a bit of snowflake webextension
    Help with:
        - getting the webextension published (#30931)