[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 17 Jun 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Jun 17 19:35:25 UTC 2019

Hello!

You can find our meeting log at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-06-17-17.01.html
.  Below are the contents of our meeting pad.

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 17 June at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

June schedule:
    * Monday 17 June at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 24 June at 1700 UTC

July schedule:
    * Wednesday 3 July 2300 UTC
    * Monday 8 July at 1700 UTC
    * (In-person meeting 12-14 July)
    * Monday 22 July 1700 UTC
    * Monday 29 July 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Wednesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
20 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002335.html
28 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002338.html
3 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-June/002343.html
10 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-June/002354.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.

And it is ok to reschedule things.

-------------------------------
---- 10 June 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

[REMINDER] WIP Schedule for Tor meeting https://nc.riseup.net/s/FFkikRBmKDZyLw9

[INFRA] Do you have problems with email? Please report any problem (or
not) that you may have here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30608 (also
https://help.torproject.org/tsa/doc/reporting-email-problems/)

The master branch is now 0.4.2.x.  0.4.1.x development continues on
maint-0.4.1 and release-0.4.1.

0.3.4.x is now end-of-life.

== Discussion ==

Please comment on the draft meeting agenda, see the tor-meeting list for details

Rotation updates:

See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

CI/coverity

ahf -> ahf (ahf takes another week here after having talked with asn
who is at mozilla all hands).

coverity

(Waiting on update after merging coverity fixes: Coverity does not
seem to have noticed 30150 yet.)

^ is from last week, what happened this week?

Looking at coverity -- it seems our builds may have been stuck. I've
cancelled the stuck builds. Also, they say they are going to have a
planned outage to upgrade their backend, starting today and lasting
about 3-4 days.  Friday would be a good day to have another look. -nm

jenkins

Travis

teor did some work on stem failures, we need to add a control message
trace to tor to diagnose (#30901)

waiting for catalyst's advice, because they are refactoring this code

Appveyor

Bug triage

nickm -> teor

I think I'm up-to-date, but please let me know if there are any
unhandled piles of tickets that you think I should go back to -nm.

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:

Last week (actual):

. stockholm meeting planning

. scalability meeting

This week (planned):

. sponsor v and 2

. sponsor 31 adjustment with new tickets

. more gitlab

Help with:

teor: (offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 10 June (planned):
        Urgent:
            - More HR stuff
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild (#28793)
                - Get gus access to the fallback-scripts repository
                    - Get gus an LDAP account
            - Help close Sponsor 19?
            - code reviews
            - work on stem CI hangs?
            - do end of life tasks for 0.3.4
        Important:
            - CI for pluggable transports (#29267) <-- this is
priority over #29224 and 29227 in the roadmap --gaba
            - revise reject bridge descriptors on authorities (#16564)
- waiting for an initial review
            - still need to do another review of #29280
            - work out which roadmapped work to do next:
                - CI for pluggable transports (#29267) <-- this is
priority over #29224 and 29227 in the roadmap --gaba
                - off-by-default module practices (#29224)
                - remove unneeded dependencies for tor roles: client,
relay, etc. (#29227)
            - merge add chutney to tor's CI (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - backport backlog (blocked on stable Tor CI)
        Low-Priority:
            - document disabled CI (#30745)
            - Update wiki and send email about first meeting of month
changing to Wednesday 2300 UTC
                - maybe do this on Tuesday in the last week of the month?
            - revise tor_addr_port_lookup() is overly permissive (#30721)
            - improve documentation for chutney warnings in make
test-network-all (#30455)

    Week of 10 June (actual):
        Urgent:
            - code reviews
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild (#28793)
                - Get gus access to the fallback-scripts repository
                    - Get gus an LDAP account
            - did end of life tasks for 0.3.4
            - made progress on stem hangs, turns out tor needs more
logging to diagnose them (#30901)
        Important:
            - CI for pluggable transports (#29267) <-- this is
priority over #29224 and 29227 in the roadmap --gaba
            - made progress on add chutney to tor's CI (#29280)
            - merged chutney pull requests
            - merged CI backport backlog, still need to triage the
rest of the backlog
            - try to work out how to write a pool abstraction, to help
us solve bootstrap issues
            - helped fix some critical sbws issues
            - triaged some of the tickets where I am the owner on trac
        Low-Priority:
            - Fix Tor's address parsing so it's more consistent
(#30721), turned out harder than I thought
            - improve documentation for chutney warnings in make
test-network-all (#30455)

    Week of 17 June (planned):
        Urgent:
            - triage 0.4.0 backport backlog by Wednesday, so we can
decide whether to do an 0.4.0.6
                - after 0.4.0.6, I will be maintaining 0.4.0.
            - More HR stuff
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild (#28793)
            - code reviews
            - add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
        Important:
            - CI for pluggable transports (#29267) <-- this is
priority over #29224 and 29227 in the roadmap --gaba
            - Update EndOfLifeTor.md with our latest end of life
process (#30839)
            - document disabled CI (#30745)
            - triage remaining backport backlog
        Low-Priority:
            - backlog: router_have_consensus_path() logs an incorrect
"no exits in consensus" (#27448)
            - Update wiki and send email about first meeting of month
changing to Wednesday 2300 UTC
                - maybe do this on Tuesday in the last week of the month?

Nick:

    Week of 10 June (planned):
        - Open 0.4.2.
        - Deprecate 0.3.4.
        - More analysis for walking onions, time permitting
        - Review and merge
        - Revise chutney/CI improvements:
            - 29280 (Use Chutney in Tor's CI)
            - 29024 (chutney and PTs)
            - 30459 (Let chutney tell Tor whether a network is supported)
        - Finish handle refactoring and cleanup (29218)
        - Plan configuration refactoring
        - More modularization?
    Week of 10 June (actual):
        - Started on 29211 (refactoring config code): planning,
testing, initial refactoring.
        - Revisions on chutney-ci 29280
        - Unrecommend a big pile of versions.
        - Revise 29024 and 30459 (chutney related)
        - Triage rotation
    Week of 17 June (planned):
        - Summarize employee feedback
        - PETS review
        - 0.4.0.6 release, maybe.
        - Reply to proposals 303 through 305, maybe.
        - Reviews and merges
        - 29211 -- refactor configuration code.
        - 29280 -- needs_revision, chutney in ci code
        - 27801 -- review proposed API for launching sockets with embedded tor
        - 29817 -- try to re-load seccomp into my brain and
resuscitate this ticket.

Mike (not at meeting; travel to Mozilla):
  Week of 6/10 (planned):
    - Mozilla all hands planning/discussion
    - Scalability metrics review/page reorg
    - Peer feedback
    - Register for PETs
    - Circpad documentation?
  Week of 6/10 (actual):
    - Mozilla all hands planning/discussion
    - Scalability metrics review/page reorg
    - Peer feedback
    - Register for PETs
  Week of 6/17 (planned):
    - Mozilla all hands performance and scalability meetings + discussion
    - Performance metrics finalization

catalyst:

    week of 06/10 (2019-W24) (planned):
        - reviews
        - some sponsor31 tickets
    week of 06/10 (2019-W24) (actual):
        - reviews
        - bureaucracy
        - some control.c refactoring
        - figured out some mysteries about code that coccinelle has
trouble looking at
        - chatted with nickm
    week of 06/17 (2019-W25) (planned):
        - reviews
        - control.c refactoring

asn:
   Week of 06/03 (planned):
   - Finalize s27 o2a1.
   - Help organize our AllHands experience.
   - Fix #30578 circpadding bug (041-must).
   - Do more work on HS DoS.
   - Some more travel prep for allhands.
   Week of 06/03 (actual):
   - Finally managed to get #30381 in needs_review.
   - Wrote some scaling emails.
   - Worked on #30578 (041-must).
   - Did some work on HS DoS:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-June/013873.html
   - Cleaned most of my review backlog, but there is still more.
   - Merged prop304 to torpec.
   Week of 06/10 (planned):
   - #30381 is now in needs_revision. Need to do that.
   - More prepping for AllHands. Flying out on Sunday.
   - Try to do some work on s27 #26294 (intro point rotation dos)
   - Still got reviews hanging. In particular #30382.
   - I also got lots of hanging merges...
   Help needed:
   - teor, I still have troubles mapping all the pieces of #22029 in my brain.
     Perhaps at some point you can take over the review of that ticket, and I
     can take one big review from you? I don't see you having any big reviews
     this week, so perhaps we can wait until next week.

ahf
    Week of 10/6 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Finish #28930.
            - Talk with traffic-obfuscation list people about #28849
            - Talk to Cecylia and DCF about patches for #29736 and friends.
        Misc:
            - Presentation Thursday evening at the local union about Tor.
            - CI/Coverity role.
    Week of 10/6 (actually):
        Network team:
            - Went over #29736 and friends with Cecylia. We decided to ignore
              the proxy authentication part for now and continue with the rest,
              but in a way where it can be disabled on the broker side
in case of a problem.
              It is a very big change to the Snowflake codebase, so
that seems reasonable.
            - Hacked a bit on the Snowflake changes for #29736 after
the conversation with Cecylia.
            - Hacked on #28930.
            - Some relay setup for asn and david for some experiments
they are doing.
        Misc:
            - Did presentation on Tor at the union's youth department
in Odense. Went well.
            - CI/Coverity wasn't bad.
            - Some conversations about upcoming CC election.
    Week of 17/6 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Finish off patches for #29736 so we can discuss the big
changes at the Thursday meeting.
            - Continue with #28930.
        Misc:
            - Figure out what needs to be doing on some of the PT spec
tickets I have.

juga(offline):
    Week of 05/20 (planned)
       - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)
    Week of 05/20 (actual)
    Week of 06/03 (plan)
       - Continue with #30406: Refactor header constants in sbws to
use Stem's one

dgoulet: (might be offline, getting sleep has been very rough in the
last days...)
  Week of 06/10 (actual):
    - Tested and experimented with #15516. Had to wait a bit to get new
      machines from a friend at a hosting provider in order to start limited
      bw relays. Thanks to ahf for providing assistance with his fast relays.
    - Wrote prop305 (on tor-dev@) about ESTABLISH_INTRO parameters. See
      #30790. Thanks from teor/asn for early feedbacks!
    - Merges and reviews as always.
  Week of 06/17 (planned):
    - Finalize #30382 from asn's review.
    - Continue work on #15516. I'm hoping to drop the experimental results on
      the ticket, finzlie the branch for upstream merge. And then move on to
      prop305.