[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 13 June 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Jun 13 17:26:54 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-06-13-17.00.html

Here is our meeting pad:

ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday June 13th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
        * Note that there's a bug that causes the roadmap to load slowly.  To work around it, first click on "All boards", and then on "ROADMAP Anti-censorship team"
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/anti-censorship/gettor/boards
        * Hiro is currently experimenting with gitlab.

---------------------------
----   13th June 2019  ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * How should we proceed with our BridgeDB statistics collection?
        * We now have a response from Tor's safety board: https://bugs.torproject.org/9316#comment:25
        * Let's run an initial one-off experiment for one week and re-evaluate if the data is safe to publish?

== Actions ==

    * Please share your experience with the pluggable transports specification in this thread:
        * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-June/013879.html
    * Think about anti-censorship sessions you want to lead/attend in Stockholm
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/_kDAK09C16xL2lBRQ7sJ

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro:
    This week (2019-05-16):
        - Revised gettor code with phw
        - Merge new code
        - Deploy gettor
        - See who has access to gettor repository in torgit
        - Sync torgit repository with dip
        - Port tickets from roadmap to dip
    Next week:
        - Add more tests to gettor
        - Work on twitter distribution channel
    Past week:
            - Rebase gettor PR with phw
            - Started testing framework

phw:
  This week (2019-06-13):
    - Wrote and deployed patch for BridgeDB to discontinue email support for Yahoo accounts
      https://bugs.torproject.org/28496
    - Merged and deployed BridgeDB translations
      https://bugs.torproject.org/30157
    - Merged and deployed various BridgeDB housekeeping patches
      https://bugs.torproject.org/30706
    - Released BridgeDB v7.0 and v7.1 and blogged about it
      https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-bridgedb-071
    - Heard back from Tor's safety board regarding our BridgeDB proposal
      https://bugs.torproject.org/9316#comment:25
      We can proceed carefully
    - Wrote a BridgeDB patch that replaces leekspin with a stem script
      https://bugs.torproject.org/22755
    - Filed a ticket and wrote patch because default obfs4 bridges in orbot are all offline
      https://bugs.torproject.org/30870
    - Filed ticket to study if China broke any of our bridge distribution channels
      https://bugs.torproject.org/30872
    - Reviewed #29279 and wrote summary of what we learned
    - Asked tor-dev@ about shortcomings of our pluggable transports v1.0 spec
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-June/013879.html
      Pointed several PT implementers to this thread
    - Reviewed Nima's patch for obfs4PortScan
      https://github.com/NullHypothesis/obfs4PortScan/pull/1
    - Had a brief meeting with researcher who's studying the GFW
    - Sponsor 28: Pointed RACE integration team to our PT spec and libraries
    - Reported machinery that our team is using to sysadmin team
    - Set up a private obfs4 bridge and handed it to censored user
    - Reviewed two FOCI papers
  Next week:
    - Move forward with new PT spec
    - Review #21315
  Help with:

Gaba:
   Last week:
            * follow on s28 and s30
    This week (05/30):
            * preparing tor meeting schedule

ahf (will be AFK due to Ascension Day here in DK)
    Last week:
        - Uploaded rebased patches for #29736, #29207, and #29260 at
          https://github.com/ahf/snowflake/tree/features/websocket_r5
        - Been playing around with a method that I think will allow us to load
          shared libraries of PT's for Tor (on Linux only for now).
        - Hacking on #28930
        - Got OK from dcf on #28849! Thanks! Next step is to talk to the PT adapter person.
    This week:
        - Hacking on #28930
        - Prepare presentation for some conference next week in Switzerland.
        - Away Thursday/Friday for "Ascension Day".

kat5:
      Last week (May 20):
        - Added more content from tickets
        - Added Tails content
     This week (May 27):
        - Marked finished sections complete
        - Final edits
        - Hand off for submission to DARPA
      -  NEEDS HELP:
      - Sign-off from phw

dcf: 2019-06-13
    Last week:
        - dealt with some Azure CDN billing issues
        - Metrics Timeline maintenance
        - tried archiving some early pluggable transports browser bundles but encountered problems (https://bugs.torproject.org/29697#comment:12 )
    Next week:
        - look at WebExtension changes in https://bugs.torproject.org/23888#comment:24
        - look at reliability layer (#29206)
        - publish post-sanitization broker logs (#30731)
        - add resources I manage to the infrastructure survey
    Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-06-13
    Last week:
        - reachability tests:
            - stopped obfs4 probes
            - updated results for snowflake probes (#30368)
        - snowflake
            - determined missing mingw libraries for windows build (#25483)
            - re-evaluated broker stats and implemented missing pieces (#21315)
            - started implementing unit tests for proxy-go (#30867)
    Next week:
        - update default STUN configuration (#26348)
        - continue increasing test coverage for snowflake (#29259)
        - expand snowbox to simulate censorship events for user experience testing
        - familiarize self with PT spec

    Help with:
            - incremental review of reliability layer (#29206)
            - broker stats (#21315) needs both a metrics team and a code review
            - browser team help for mingw toolchain (#25483)

catalyst:

    week of 06/06 (planned):
        - unparent open children of #28018 and tag them usefully, so we can close #28018
    week of 06/06 (actual):
        - rearranged bootstrap tickets somewhat, including unparenting open children of #28018
    week of 06/13 (planned):
        - mostly focusing on sponsor31

arlolra: 2019-06-06
    Last week:
        - nothing
    This week:
        - get back to the snowflake webextension
    Help with:
        - nothing