[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 10 June 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Jun 10 17:52:08 UTC 2019


You can find our meeting logs at

Here are the contents of our meeting pad for this meeting:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 10 June at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

June schedule:
    * Monday 10 June at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 17 June at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 24 June at 1700 UTC

July schedule:
    * Wednesday 3 or Thursday 4 July 2300 UTC ?
    * Monday 8 July at 1700 UTC
    * (In-person meeting 12-14 July)
    * Monday 22 July 1700 UTC
    * Monday 29 July 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
13 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002325.html
20 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002335.html
28 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002338.html
3 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-June/002343.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.

And it is ok to reschedule things.

---- 10 June 2019

== Announcements ==

[INFRA INVENTORY] Sysadmin Team is asking for people at the Tor
project to fill information about resources they are using right now.
Please add your resources: https://nc.riseup.net/s/QEM4MNBA8MmWW4x

purpose (e.g. service running)

location (e.g. hetzner, amazon, etc)

age/lifecycle (e.g. 2008, ephemeral containers, etc)

memory (e.g. 24GB RAM)

disk (e.g. 2TB SSD or HDD)

cores (12 CPU)

cost (100$USD/mth)

[INFRA] Do you have problems with email? Please report any problem (or
not) that you may have here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30608 (also

[PROCESS] Please comment on CI role's proposal from Teor:

The master branch is now 0.4.2.x.  0.4.1.x development continues on
maint-0.4.1 and release-0.4.1.

0.3.4.x is now end-of-life.

== Discussion ==

Creating the agenda for Tor meeting. This year we only have 3 days and
we need to go through a process of selection of which sessions we want
to have. Which sessions you are all thinking are important to have in
the face to face meeting?

Rotation updates: (CI/coverity teor->ahf; bug triage mikeperry->nickm)

See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations


(Waiting on update after merging coverity fixes: Coverity does not
seem to have noticed 30150 yet.)


(seems ok)


Stem failure is happening very frequently. Test_rebind failure less so.

teor wrote patches to:

allow failures for stem, and

disable test_rebind on Travis macOS using an env var


(seems ok)

Bug triage

Can we move the patch party and first team meeting of the month to
Wednesday or Thursday 2300 UTC ?
 (ahf: +1 for Thursday, I already have the anti-censorship team
meeting there, so I keep that night off in the calendar, also OK with
 [catalyst: Wednesday 2300 UTC works better for me; i have a periodic
conflict with Thursdays at 2300 UTC]
teor would like to have their Wednesdays off (UTC+10).
nickm has no objection to any particular 2300 UTC except Friday.

 * https://pad.riseup.net/p/54diULYSxeRrckkdKdOQ -- Nickm asks if we
should send this to the relevant dirauth operators. It is a list of
Tor versions that we should un-recommend.

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


Last week (actual):

. check sponsor V work until now

. stockholm meeting planning

This week (planned):

. more stockholm meeting planning

. scalability meetings

Help with:

. moving sponsor 19 tickets (https://pad.riseup.net/p/x3G09tvOfODGflMcjW83 )

. please add sessions to the stockhom meeting pad this week as it may
be harder to fit in things later

teor: (offline at the usual meeting time)
    Week of 3 June (planned):
            - 041-must
            - Quick CI fixes, disable failing tests and document them
            - code reviews
            - Help close Sponsor V
            - Help close Sponsor 19
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild
            - HR stuff
            - chutney merge backlog (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - merge add chutney to tor's CI (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - backport backlog (blocked on stable Tor CI)

    Week of 3 June (actual):
            - It is flu season, looks like it got me, took some time off
            - HR stuff
            - Decided to defer PrivCount until we have specific
funding. (It was Sponsor V, but we ran out of time.)
            - Quick CI fixes, disable failing tests and document them
            - code reviews: chutney, docs, etc.
            - Help close Sponsor V
            - some progress on Fallback directory mirror list rebuild
            - sbws triage:
                - it is probably safe to deploy sbws to one more
authority (we now have 2, we can have 3)
                - identified 4 blockers for deploying sbws to more
than 3 authorities
                - worked on deployment and comparison plan
            - reject bridge descriptors on authorities (#16564, Sponsor 30)
                - also did some refactoring to make practracker happy,
but now the file is bigger
            - found and fixed #30782, to make authorities cache
fetched outdated descriptors
            - did some backport triage
            - tor bootstrap sometimes hangs (#21969, #16844), it's
complicated, looks like we need a proposal (#30817)
            - merged chutney merge_ready tickets
            - re-did chutney #30279 and #30820 because they didn't work
            - stem CI logging fixes, because the control messages are
not in the log (or stem hangs before logging them)

    Week of 10 June (planned):
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild (#28793)
                - Get gus access to the fallback-scripts repository
            - Help close Sponsor 19?
            - code reviews
            - More HR stuff
            - work out which roadmapped work to do next:
                - CI for pluggable transports (#29267) <-- this is
priority over #29224 and 29227 in the roadmap --gaba
                - off-by-default module practices (#29224)
                - remove unneeded dependencies for tor roles: client,
relay, etc. (#29227)
            - merge add chutney to tor's CI (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - backport backlog (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - work on stem CI hangs?
            - revise reject bridge descriptors on authorities (#16564)
            - improve documentation for chutney warnings in make
test-network-all (#30455)
            - document disabled CI (#30745)
            - revise tor_addr_port_lookup() is overly permissive (#30721)

    Week of 10 June (actual):

    Week of 3 June (planned):
        - Release
        - Possibly, release
        - Open tickets from team retrospective
        - Try to finish 041-should items
        - Try to solve CI failures.
    Week of 3 June (actual):
        - Finished most 041-should items
        - Opened tickets and did followup from retrospective
        - Worked on analysis for walking onions paper
        - Released
        - Worked on handle refactoring (29218)
        - Other review and merges
    Week of 10 June (planned):
        - Open 0.4.2.
        - Deprecate 0.3.4.
        - More analysis for walking onions, time permitting
        - Review and merge
        - Revise chutney/CI improvements:
            - 29280 (Use Chutney in Tor's CI)
            - 29024 (chutney and PTs)
            - 30459 (Let chutney tell Tor whether a network is supported)
        - Finish handle refactoring and cleanup (29218)
        - Plan configuration refactoring
        - More modularization?

  Week of 6/03 (planned):
    - More scalability followup (KIST+EWMA+sbws -> wiki; metrics
updates; Mozilla all hands meeting planning)
    - Peer feedback
    - Register for PETs
    - #30649
    - Circpad documentation?
  Week of 6/03 (actual):
    - Laptop issues
    - More scalability followup (KIST+EWMA thread; funding meeting;
metrics categories)
    - work on circpad relay-side warn log bug
    - Work on #29034 (hs circuit re-purpose leaks)
    - Code reviews
  Week of 6/10 (planned):
    - Mozilla all hands planning/discussion
    - Scalability metrics review/page reorg
    - Peer feedback
    - Register for PETs
    - Circpad documentation?


    week of 06/03 (2019-W23) (planned):
        - reviews
        - rearange bootstrap tickets more logically
        - teor's on CI rotation but i can try to help with CI stuff,
especially our persistent spurious failures
    week of 06/03 (2019-W23) (actual):
        - reviews
        - medical and financial bureaucracy
        - tried and failed to find an easily configured SOCKS5 proxy
daemon that requires auth (as part of a patch review)
        - rearranged bootstrap tickets more logically -- unparanted
still-open children of #28018, etc.
    week of 06/10 (2019-W24) (planned):
        - reviews
        - some sponsor31 tickets

   Week of 06/03 (planned):
   - Finalize s27 o2a1.
   - Help organize our AllHands experience.
   - Fix #30578 circpadding bug (041-must).
   - Do more work on HS DoS.
   - Some more travel prep for allhands.
   Week of 06/03 (actual):
   - Finally managed to get #30381 in needs_review.
   - Wrote some scaling emails.
   - Worked on #30578 (041-must).
   - Did some work on HS DoS:
   - Cleaned most of my review backlog, but there is still more.
   - Merged prop304 to torpec.
   Week of 06/10 (planned):
   - #30381 is now in needs_revision. Need to do that.
   - More prepping for AllHands. Flying out on Sunday.
   - Try to do some work on s27 #26294 (intro point rotation dos)
   - Still got reviews hanging. In particular #30382.
   - I also got lots of hanging merges...
   Help needed:
   - teor, I still have troubles mapping all the pieces of #22029 in my brain.
     Perhaps at some point you can take over the review of that ticket, and I
     can take one big review from you? I don't see you having any big reviews
     this week, so perhaps we can wait until next week.

    Week of 3/6 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Hack on #28930.
            - Talk with traffic-obfuscation list people about #28849
            - Talk to Cecylia and dcf about patches for #29736 and friends.
            - End of month tasks.
            - At a conference Wednesday and Thursday in Switzerland doing a
              presentation on Tor.
    Week of 3/6 (actually):
        Network team:
            - Hacked on #28930.
            - End of month tasks: Harvest, etc.
            - Did a talk about Tor at a conference. They seemed excited.
    Week of 10/6 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Finish #28930.
            - Talk with traffic-obfuscation list people about #28849
            - Talk to Cecylia and DCF about patches for #29736 and friends.
            - Presentation Thursday evening at the local union about Tor.
            - CI/Coverity role.

    Week of 05/20 (planned)
       - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)
    Week of 05/20 (actual)
    Week of 06/03 (plan)
       - Continue with #30406: Refactor header constants in sbws to
use Stem's one

  Week of 06/03 (actual):
    - Call with asn on #15516 next steps.
    - Unit testing on #30382
    - tor-scaling discussions.
    - Some urgent work on #30771 and #30775 041-alpha2 release blocker.
    - Review s27 tickets: #30381
    - Started sketching some ideas for #30790
    - Got my brain smashed by #30628 issue. Fortunately, fixed now!
    - Emailed a big HS operator for some introduction stats in order to learn
      more to make a better choice on #15516 parameters.
    - prop304 is in tor-spec.txt! :)
    - Some merges and reviews.
  Week of 06/10 (planned);
    - Continuing s27 work on the anti-DoS side.
    - Add consensus params for #15516 and hopefully propose baseline values.
    - Hope to get #30790 in a Draft state.
    - 042 window is opened so some merges need to happen in master.

More information about the tor-project mailing list