[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 6 June 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Jun 6 17:42:44 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-06-06-17.06.html

Here is our meeting pad:

ANTI-CENSORSHIP work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday June 6th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings every Thursday 17:00 UTC on #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

THE Anti-censorship Roadmap (kanban board):
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
<-- a subset of tasks from trac that the team is working on. (There is a
bug in wekan, what we use for the board, that make it hard to load. You
have to click in 'all boards' and then in the board to get it to load)

Roadmap by topic:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KXkqlNP8ouNks_ey5khZKUSbNj9ZoidXmEp80ODDMsN

Gettor Roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/anti-censorship/gettor/boards
<-- We are experimenting with gitlab for gettor and hiro is working on
the board there. Each ticket is linked back to trac for now to keep
historical context -->

Roger's thoughts on anti-censorship's priorities:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/kU83M2pQehsnQZPzR_mwmYslAijqKgYNOEak57TSLAt
Komlo's thoughts on anti-censorship's plan:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/CensorshipTeam-Planning-keep

PTO Calendar: Ask gaba for the link and keep it up to date with when you
are not going to be around.

---------------------------
----    6th June 2019  ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    * [INFRA INVENTORY] Sysadmin Team is asking for people at the Tor
    * project to fill information about resources they are using right
    * now. https://nc.riseup.net/s/QEM4MNBA8MmWW4x
        * purpose (e.g. service running)
        * location (e.g. hetzner, amazon, etc)
        * age/lifecycle (e.g. 2008, ephemeral containers, etc)
        * memory (e.g. 24GB RAM)
        * disk (e.g. 2TB SSD or HDD)
        * cores (12 CPU)
        * cost (100$USD/mth)
    * [EMAIL] If you have problems with email @torproject.org please
    * comment on this ticket: https://bugs.torproject.org/30608

== Discussion ==

    * Creating the agenda for Tor meeting. This year we only have 3 days
    * and we need to go through a process of selection of which sessions
    * we want to have. Which sessions you are all thinking are important
    * to have in the face to face meeting?
    * https://pad.riseup.net/p/_kDAK09C16xL2lBRQ7sJ
    * Roadmap: are people ok with what is in the 'in progress' and
    * 'review columns'? Are people ok with stuff in the backlog until
    * our roadmap building session in July? Some tickets from s19 moved
    * into s28 by phw. We continue working on them and adjust on the way
    * until July meeting.

== Actions ==

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    Last week:
        - What you worked on last week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to
          anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro:
    This week (2019-05-16):
        - Revised gettor code with phw
        - Merge new code
        - Deploy gettor
        - See who has access to gettor repository in torgit
        - Sync torgit repository with dip
        - Port tickets from roadmap to dip
    Next week:
        - Add more tests to gettor
        - Work on twitter distribution channel
    Past week:
            - Rebase gettor PR with phw
            - Started testing framework

phw:
  This week (2019-05-30):
    - Filed #30777 for a "set up new bridges" campaign
    - Started reviewing #30731
    - Improved obfs4 bridge setup guide
    - Published monthly anti-censorship report
    - Deployed bridges.torproject.org/scan/
    - Deployed #28655
    - Reviewed Sponsor 19 report
    - Filed #30706 for BridgeDB housekeeping
    - Wrote script that tests obfs4 port of our bridges. Emailed some
      ops whose obfs4 port was unreachable.
  Next week:
  Help with:

Gaba:
   Last week:
            * looked at s28 info
            * closed up s19
            * updated roadmap with s28/s30 and removed s19
    This week (05/30):
            * follow on s28 and s30

ahf (will be AFK due to Ascension Day here in DK)
    Last week:
        - Uploaded rebased patches for #29736, #29207, and #29260 at
          https://github.com/ahf/snowflake/tree/features/websocket_r5
        - Been playing around with a method that I think will allow us
          to load
          shared libraries of PT's for Tor (on Linux only for now).
        - Hacking on #28930
        - Got OK from dcf on #28849! Thanks! Next step is to talk to the
          PT adapter person.
    This week:
        - Hacking on #28930
        - Prepare presentation for some conference next week in
          Switzerland.
        - Away Thursday/Friday for "Ascension Day".

kat5:
      Last week (May 20):
        - Added more content from tickets
        - Added Tails content
     This week (May 27):
        - Marked finished sections complete
        - Final edits
        - Hand off for submission to DARPA
      -  NEEDS HELP:
      - Sign-off from phw

dcf: 2019-06-06
    Last week:
        - made graphs of pre-sanitization broker logs (#30731)
        - deleted unsanitized broker logs (#30693)
    Next week:
        - look at WebExtension changes in
          https://bugs.torproject.org/23888#comment:24
        - publish post-sanitization broker logs (#30731)
        - add resources I manage to the infrastructure survey
    Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-06-06
    Last week:
        - snowflake
            - worked on a sequencing layer for snowflake (#25429,
              #29206)
            - sunk some time into the windows build (#25483)
    Next week:
        - continue reliability layer for snowflake (#25429, #29206)
        - re-evaluate broker stats and implement missing pieces (#21315)
        - continue hacking on windows build (#25483)
        - update default STUN configuration (#26348)
        - clean up and increase test coverage for snowflake (#29259)

    Help with:
            - incremental review of #29206

catalyst:
    week of 05/30 (planned):
        - open new tickets for improving bootstrap reporting
        - #30639 looks like it might be good to work on next? (raises
          some questions about how we tell Tor Launcher that
bootstrapping has failed)
    week of 05/30 (actual):
        - bureaucracy
        - mostly network team reviews
        - finally updated our meeting time on the shared Tor calendar
    week of 06/06 (planned):
        - unparent open children of #28018 and tag them usefully, so we
          can close #28018

arlolra: 2019-06-06
    Last week:
        - nothing
    This week:
        - get back to the snowflake webextension
    Help with:
        - nothing