[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 3 June 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Jun 3 17:54:38 UTC 2019


You can find the logs from our weekly meeting at

Here are the contents of the meeting pad:
= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 3 June at 1700 UTC (last Monday
was a US public holiday) on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

June schedule:
    * Monday 3 June at 1700 UTC (The 28 May meeting was at the patch party time)
    * Monday 10 June at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 17 June at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 24 June at 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
 6 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002316.html
13 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002325.html
20 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002335.html
28 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002338.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws

* Check rotations at

* See discussion notes below.

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.

And it is ok to reschedule things.

---- 03 June 2019

== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

Rotation updates: (CI/coverity nickm->teor; bug triage dgoulet->mikeperry)


(Waiting on update after merging coverity fixes: Coverity does not
seem to have noticed 30150 yet.)


(seems ok)


Stem failure is happening very frequently. Test_rebind failure less so.

teor says: I need CI to be stable so I can do backports and CI changes.

test-stem is failing (#29437), can we allow_failures for that job?

test_rebind is failing (#28229), should we remove it, or put it in a
separate job and allow_failures?

Proposed solution:

allow_failures for test-stem.

Disable test_rebind on OSX only

Add a section to our CI status page for disabled CI

Add a section to doc/HACKING/ReleasingTor.md reminding releasers to
manually check the status of whatever the disabled CI would have

CI person should periodically look at these jobs.


Bug triage

Should we deploy sbws to half the bandwidth authorities?
Should we raise AuthDirMaxServersPerAddr to 4?

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


Last week (actual):

. followed on documents for new sponsor (28)

. monthly report for sponsor 27 (onion services)

This week (planned):

. check sponsor V work until now

. stockholm meeting planning

. closing sponsor 19

Help with:

teor: (offline at the usual meeting time)
    Week of 28 May (planned):
        - Urgent:
            - Keep on working on Tor / Stem CI
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild
            - 041-must
    Week of 28 May (actual):
            - Kept on working on Tor / Stem CI
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild - made some progress
            - sbws diagnostics
            - 1:1 and workload planning and things
            - relay operator queries
            - Fixed a confusing address parsing bug with a nice
refactor (#30721, can be Sponsor 31)
            - #16564 (reject bridge descriptors on non-bridge authorities)
    Week of 3 June (planned):
            - Kept on working on Tor / Stem CI ???
            - Fallback directory mirror list rebuild
            - HR stuff
            - chutney merge backlog (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - merge add chutney to tor's CI (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - backport backlog (blocked on stable Tor CI)
            - #16564 (reject bridge descriptors on non-bridge
authorities), needs complex unit tests
    Week of 3 June (actual):
            - HR stuff
            - sbws triage:
                - it is probably safe to deploy sbws to one more
authority (we now have 2, we can have 3)
                - identified 3 blockers for deploying sbws to more
than 3 authorities


    Week of 28 May (planned):
        - More for on PT transition bugs (29875, 24367). Fix?
        - More for on 041-must/should items
        - Chutney CI work with teor, tbd
        - Try to figure out stem CI issue with teor, tbd
        - Followup on issues from retrospective

    Week of 28 May (actual):
        - PT transition bugs (29875 and 24367) -- diagnosed and
developed a fix.

[This took a while to figure out, since there were at least two bugs
at work here. First, we didn't treat bridge changes as meaning that we
might not be able to build circuits. Second, we didn't ignore guard
entries based on _former_ bridges when counting how many guards we

        - Staring and poking at stem+CI issues, but didn't get too far.
        - Numerous bugfixes/investigations:
            - 29670 -- Could not create SOCKS args string
            - 30686 -- Better warnings when minherit/madvise fails
            - 30674 -- Find out why ubsan/asan CI didn't catch #30629
            - 30629 -- We seem to be reading some freed events on exit
            - 30614 -- Use MAP_INHERIT_NONE/ZERO if available instead
of crashing on assertion failure
            - 22619 -- SessionGroup = Reading config failed
        - Lots of reviews, some with tweaked branches. Lots of merges

    Week of 3 June (planned):
        - Release
        - Possibly, release
        - Open tickets from team retrospective
        - Try to finish 041-should items
        - Try to solve CI failures.

  Week of 5/28 (planned):
    - Laptop issues
    - Scalability meeting
    - Peer feedback
    - Register for PETS
    - Circpad relay-side warn log bug
    - Maybe circpad documentation?
  Week of 5/28 (actual):
    - Laptop issues
    - Scalability meeting and followup
    - Some work on circpad relay-side warn log bug
  Week of 6/02 (planned):
    - More scalability followup (KIST+EWMA -> wiki; metrics updates;
Mozilla all hands meeting planning)
    - Peer feedback
    - Register for PETs
    - #30649
    - Circpad documentation?


    week of 05/27 (2019-W22) (planned):
        - reviews
        - revise #29976
        - other bootstrap work?
    week of 05/27 (2019-W22) (actual):
        - holiday 05/27
        - medical 05/29
        - reviews
        - revised #29976 (now merge_ready)
        - looked at #30639 some
    week of 06/03 (2019-W23) (planned):
        - reviews
        - rearange bootstrap tickets more logically
        - teor's on CI rotation but i can try to help with CI stuff,
especially our persistent spurious failures

   [Will be on dinner during meeting. Might be able to get in in the end.]
   Week of 05/27 (planned):
   - Finish reviews.
   - Finish backlog.
   - Move on with s27 o2a1. Hopefully get it close to review.
   Week of 05/27 (actual):
   - Posted a #30381 branch for review. It was imperative to get this done
     quickly so that we do not block the TB team. Also had to revise
the proposal.
   - Revised #28634 proposal based on ML feedback.
   - Did reviews/merges but still got more to do.
   - Brainstormed HS DoS solutions with dgoulet and posted on mailing list:
   - Helped with S27 monthly report.
   - Some travel planning for allhands.
   Week of 06/03 (actual):
   - Finalize s27 o2a1.
   - Help organize our AllHands experience.
   - Fix #30578 circpadding bug (041-must).
   - Do more work on HS DoS.
   - Some more travel prep for allhands.

    Week of 29/5 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Continue with S19 tasks.
            - Begin review process of #29736 patches with cohosh while
I finish the last bits.
            - Need to prepare a presentation for an event in Switzerland next
              week that Steph asked if I was up for. Going to be away some of
              the 5th of June while traveling for this event and the
presentation is the 6th.
            - End of month tasks.
            - Away on Friday due to the "Ascension Day" (all the Danish
              holidays will be over soon!).
    Week of 29/5 (actually):
        Network team:
            - In S19 land: rebased and cleaned up patches for
Snowflake tickets #29736, #29207, and #29260.
            - Progress on #28930.
            - Hacked a bit on the shared library PT idea during Ascension Day.
            - Began working on a non-XML-RPC based Trac Client to
create tickets with.
            - Worked on presentation for the Switzerland event.
            - Out for the Ascension Day holiday.
    Week of 3/6 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Hack on #28930.
            - Talk with traffic-obfuscation list people about #28849
            - Talk to Cecylia and dcf about patches for #29736 and friends.
            - End of month tasks.
            - At a conference Wednesday and Thursday in Switzerland doing a
              presentation on Tor.

    Week of 05/20 (planned)
       - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)
    Week of 05/20 (actual)
    Week of 06/03 (plan)
       - Continue with #30406: Refactor header constants in sbws to
use Stem's one

  Week of 05/28 (actual):
    - Implemented #15516. See tor-dev@ discussion
    - Implemented #30382 (SOCKS5 extended errors, unofficial-prop304). Need
      unit tests. Under review by asn.
    - New version of #29034.
    - Got #30365 merged (prop289 proposal closed and merged into
    - Discussion with arma and asn on HS DoS defenses.
    - Implemented #30687 (generic token bucket). Needed for #15516.
    - Merges and reviews.
    - Spent a bit of time on figuring out #30638 without success.
    - Tor-scaling meeting.
  Week of 06/03 (planned):
    - Finalizing s27 tickets (#15516, #30382).
    - Continuing to understand #30368.
    - Get prop#304 merged into tor-spec.txt

More information about the tor-project mailing list