[tor-project] PSA: flood attack against OpenPGP certificates underway

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Tue Jul 23 15:15:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-22 14:54:40, Matt Traudt wrote:
> On 7/2/19 18:31, Arthur D. Edelstein wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Someone pointed me to the following post by Robert J Hansen:
>> https://gist.github.com/rjhansen/67ab921ffb4084c865b3618d6955275f
>>
>> Below that post, there are a couple of comments indicating that at
>> least two of Tor's signing keys listed in
>> https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/signing-keys.html.en
>> have been poisoned by this attack, including the Tor Browser
>> Developers key and Tor Project Archive key. We're wondering if all of
>> the keys on that page have been affected. (I haven't had a chance to
>> learn about this attack or how to check other keys, but I wanted to
>> share this ASAP.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arthur
>>

> In case it's helpful, I've cleaned the Tor Browser signing key of the
> poison signatures and put it up here[0] for the time being.
>
> People[1] are attempting to download the poisoned key and experiencing
> issues. The instructions[2] on Tor's website that they are following
> still tells people to use the key server pool with poisoned keys. These
> should probably be updated ASAP.
>
> Let's please do something about this.

A few things...

We are now aware of the poisoned key and have remediated the problem,
the details being in Trac ticket #31168:

weasel deployed WKD, a standard way discover keys outside of the normal
keyserver infrastructure. We have also added the TBB signing key to WKD
so that keys can be discovered there. The documentation on the support
website has been updated accordingly:

https://support.torproject.org/tbb/how-to-verify-signature/

For users not having access to a WKD implementation, you can just fetch
the key at the following URL as well:

https://openpgpkey.torproject.org/.well-known/openpgpkey/hu/kounek7zrdx745qydx6p59t9mqjpuhdf

The 2019.torproject.org website is archived and will not be
changed. Hopefully it will drop out of existence progressively as we
remove all links to it. We're also considering un-indexing it from
search engines, see #31225 for this:

I hope that covers it. If anyone finds more instances of bad
instructions on the website (refering to keyservers instead of WKD),
please do let us know.

A.
--
Antoine Beaupré