[tor-project] Problems fetching Debian package archive signing key (0xEE8CBC9E886DDD89)

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 23:47:09 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Someone reported difficulty with retrieving 0xEE8CBC9E886DDD89 from the
key servers. It seems this is only affecting some of the keyservers
(but I don't know which ones because load-balancing).

I was able to reproduce it, but not consistently.

$ gpg --recv-key A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89
gpg: packet(13) too large
gpg: read_block: read error: Invalid packet
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

This error seems suspiciously similar to this sks-keyserver bug[0].

If anyone has any ideas of how we should troubleshoot or fix this,
that'd be helpful.

- Matt

[0] https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/issues/57