[tor-project] December 2018 User Feedback Summary

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Jan 25 20:38:00 UTC 2019

Maggie:
> Hey, friends!
>
> Welcome to the December 2018 user feedback report. For more information
> on what users and community members were talking about this month, check
> out the December 2018/January 2019 User Feedback pad [1].
>
> TL;DR:
>
> There were a bunch of releases this month, and lots of user bug reports
> in the blog post comments. Reddit was about the same as always (with a
> focus on VPN and fingerprinting questions), and RT brought in a lot of
> questions about bridges and TBA.
>
> - Confusion about using a VPN with Tor continues to be common on Reddit
> and RT. I'm hoping that these questions will be addressed by the Tor v.
> VPN guide I'm writing up for the support portal, which will incorporate
> some of the information that pastly previously posted [2].
>
> - People (especially Reddit users) have lots of questions about whether
> certain actions will allow them to be fingerprinted. I think we could
> address some of this with an expanded FAQ entry, and potentially by
> linking to EFF's Panopticlick [3] so that users can experiment with
> their settings themselves.

Pointing them to EFF's Panopticlick is not a good idea, I think. The
Panopticlick is heavily biased towards non-Tor Browser browsers which
means that Tor Browser users are essentially always sticking out, no
matter how uniform they are *among* Tor Browser users.

We want a test that measures differences among Tor Browser users and
could thus give a meaningful advice on "Is action X making me more
fingerprintable with Tor Browser or not?". Alas, we are not there yet.
FPCentral (https://fpcentral.tbb.torproject.org/) is a great step
towards that goal but needs more love and someone who is actively
driving this project.

[snip]

Georg