[tor-project] Tor Browser team meeting notes, 14 Jan 2019
gk at torproject.org
Tue Jan 15 12:31:00 UTC 2019
We had another weekly Tor Browser meeting yesterday. The IRC meeting log
can be found at:
The meeting notes are copied below, for your convenience:
Monday January 14, 2019
- Google Summer of Code (GSoC) Application (pili - apologies I will
likely be afk for the meeting)
- Projects? Volunteer mentors? Could be both Tor Browser or
"Applications Team" projects. (GeKo: tjr can imagine to mention the
crash report project further)
- Plan for Tor Launcher/Torbutton compat with ESR 68 (GeKo:
tentative schedule for landing that is 9.0a1; we don't get enough
testing for 8.5)
- Replacement for donation banner (#29035) (GeKo: I put that on my
plate and anto provides the remaining UX items)
- Can we move this meeting 30 minutes or 1 hour earlier? (sysrqb now
has a partial conflict, but can adjust if changing the meeting is too
difficult) (GeKo: tentively moving to 1830UTC, I need to get back to
igt0 whether that works for him, too)
- next meeting? (GeKo: on Monday is US holiday, so let's meet on
- updated icons for #25702 (rebranding) and #28546 (windows
installer branding) to fix clipping/squashing issue
- reviewed #28711 (arraybuffer metadata in its own arena) and #28329
- backported 1446472 (and than discovered tjr beat me to it lol)
- squashed/rebased #25702
- began work on #25658 (security settings)
boklm - ran into a couple of build issues this past week (just in
case you weren't aware):
- https-everywhere explicitly requiring python 3.6 in it's make.sh
script (container installs python 3.7 now when just installing the
- issues building servo in the latest alpha branch in tor-browser,
didn't delve too deeply into this on Friday since I was on my laptop
[boklm: can you open tickets with some details about those issues?]
richard : can do!
- file tickets for above-mentioned issues
- #25658 work (security settings)
pili: likely afk for meeting
- Sponsor 8 report
- Tor Browser release meeting
- OTF Onion service SMART objectives
- Starting to look at team budgets
- Review 2019 needs and priorities
- looking into orbot and trac discussion on mailing lists
- refined patch for #28716 (mingw-w64/clang toolchain) and
mapped out remaining things to be done for #28238
- begin-of-the-month admin dance
- finally commented on the ideas in doc for #3600
- I reviewed #28705 and started with #25702 and #26858
- wrote patches for #29028 (activate canvas warning
improvements), #28874 (WebGL crashes), #28814, and #29081 (hardening of
- helped with bug investigations (#28823, #tra)
- looked over #28329 and tor-launcher redesign
- looked over sponsor proposals
- help with mobile stuff where needed
- backport fix for bug 1469916
- work on various issues related to #28238
- work on the donation banner replacement (#29035)
- looking closer at
- reviews, review, reviews
Real World Crypto
Wrote/sent email about Google Play reviews
Worked a little on TBA bootstrap process (#28329)
More work on UI for #28329
Finish fastlane patch
Review TOPL/Orbotservice ticket (#29080)
Update branch for app crash during download (#28705)
mcs and brade:
- Worked on #28044 (Integrate Tor Launcher into tor-browser).
- Did some experiments.
- Commented in the ticket.
- Opened #29045 for dormant mode follow up work (Tor Launcher).
- Completed end of quarter/end of year administrative tasks.
- #28836 (Links on about:tor are not clickable anymore).
- #28885 (notify users that update is downloading).
- Work on a proposal for #28044 (Integrate Tor Launcher into
- Out of the office on Friday, January 18th.
- investigated binutils reproducibility issue and made patch to
update binutils to 2.31.1 (#26148)
- started a patch for #27531 (Tor Browser 8 crashes trying to
print on Linux)
- fixed some testsuite issues (#27136, #27114)
- continue work on testsuite
- test patch for #27531 (Tor Browser 8 crashes trying to print
- some reviews: #29081, #28716, #28803, #28874
- will be afk on Friday
Leave is coming, but unsure of dates.
Lots of mingw work.
"gk: where to track the remaining work for enabling accessibility
support on windows,
because it's still not functioning properly it seems with
the patches we have"
tjr: Can you elaborate? And/or show me a not-scary
(trustworthy/open source) accessibility tool to test with? [GeKo:
accessibility is not working in e10s, see:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27503#comment:13 ff. I
noted that on the moz bug, see comments 11 and Jacek's reply in comment
19. I have not looked whether there are non-scary tools yet]
"gk: --enable-accessibility on mingw-gcc"
tjr: Yes, I did not test this (on TaskCluster or
otherwise). If switching to mingw-clang is on the horizon,
I am not inclined to try and get support for this
working on TaskCluster [GeKo: works for me, just so you are aware of
that this breaks the mingw-w64/gcc builds once this gets enabled on
esr60][tjr: they use different mozconfigs; so it the mingw-gcc builds
will stay --disable-accessibility][GeKo, yeah, fine with me]
I have an --enable-accessibility, --enable-sandbox, pdbs esr60
build working in TaskCluster. Have requested uplift of a bunch of patches
On central; I am personally being plagued by
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1519608 but others don't
- Uplift the aforementioned esr60 patches
- Land small -central patches (--enable-accessibility, Bump
- Investigate ASLR
- Investigate if we can ditch binutils
We have a next step forward on the rust stuff:
It's not significant; but we'll see where to go from here.
Am I correct in thinking that this is basically the same thing
you did (look for connect/socket/etc calls)
except you did it in the source, and this is on the object
file? [GeKo: have not looked yet, but can do this week, hopefully;
sysrqb thinks the answer is "yes"]
Uplifted https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1446472 which
will show the Canvas icon if canvas is auto-blocked
because it has no user input.
Landed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1509829 which
uplifts Tor's "Only reveal the OS in the JS navigator
object and not the User-Agent header"
I should backport this to esr60.
- working on #28329 - TBA + Orbot
- working on #29035 - Newsletter Subscription links - reviewing TBA
- added UX improvements ideas for TB on DRL doc for the UX team
- reviewing sysrqb's list of GPlay TBA reviews
- #29080 Merge OrbotService and TOPL - did initial prototype and
outlined details of changes needed in trac issue
- #28803 - Integrate building PT - finished
android-pluggable-transport project (ready for review)
- #29080 - Cleanup work and create patches for OrbotService
- #27609 - Evaluate Tor Onion Proxy - I’ll setup project in
tor-browser-build and create patch as specified in #29080
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the tor-project