[tor-project] community team highlights -- November and December

Alison Macrina alison at torproject.org
Wed Jan 9 18:15:00 UTC 2019

Behold!

November 2018 Community Team highlights

Meeting notes
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam#CurrentTeamDiscussions

Community Portal and Support Portal
In November we finished migrating the Tor Manual to Lektor and replaced
the old manual. We updated the Tor manual screenshots to match the new
UI, and added new info to the manual based on Maggie's user advocacy
research.

We also started creating community portal outreach kits with the UX team.

Library Freedom
Alison held weeks 23-26 of the first Library Freedom Institute cohort.
The cohort worked on their final projects which were presented in
December. Alison began working on recruitment for LFI cohort 2 (which
will take place in 2019).

We are also redesigning the Library Freedom website so that it's 50%
Library Freedom Project and 50% Library Freedom Institute.

Outreach/Sponsor9
We finalized some of our Sponsor9 travel dates for 2019. Gus continued
coordination with partners in Argentina, Brazil, India, Thailand, and
Indonesia. A number of us worked on the Sponsor9 Phase 1 report.

Gus has also been coordinating a Tor volunteer project  with the
University of Sao Paulo (USP).

Gus held a security workshop at BIENAL in Sao Paulo. dmr held the Aaron
Swartz Day celebration in Ann Arbor @ AADL with Cryptoparty Ann Arbor.
Kushal announced the dgplug Pune privacy meetup India (Kushal). Gus also
held a Tor training with journalists (ABRAJI) (
https://blog.torproject.org/events/tor-training-abraji-sao-paulo).

Sponsor19
Kat submitted the initial Sponsor19 report to the funder.

Volunteers
Maggie has been working on creating better volunteer onboarding and
tasks, including trac tags for first time volunteer tasks and more.

December 2018 Community Team highlights

Meeting notes
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam#CurrentTeamDiscussions

Community Portal and Support Portal
We continued work on the community portal outreach kits, and followed up
with the sysadmins about the support portal search function. emma moved
the glossary to the support portal. Maggie worked on a Tor vs. VPN
document for inclusion on the support portal.

Localization
emma, Erin, and Gus worked on organizing an AMA with Localization Lab in
January. emma worked on a localization blog post.

Library Freedom
Alison wrapped up the first cohort of LFI in the first week of December.
Now we're working on an analysis of the program and a curriculum review.
The application period for LFI cohort two began December 10
(libraryfreedomproject.org/lfi). Alison is recruiting from various
library organizations and on Twitter. She's also still working on the
Library Freedom website redesign. Finally, we published an LFI EOY blog
post at the end of December.

Volunteers
Maggie continues to work on volunteer onboarding and tasks with each
team. Gus continued recruitment for the USP volunteers.

Outreach and Sponsor9
Gus continued coordination with partners in India, Thailand and
Indonesia, Argentina, and Brazil.

Gus gave talks at Criptofesta Sao Paulo
(https://blog.torproject.org/events/criptofiesta-sao-paulo), Criptofesta
Salvador (https://blog.torproject.org/events/criptoaxe-salvador),
Criptofesta Brasilia
(https://blog.torproject.org/events/criptocerrado-brasilia), and a few
private privacy workshops in Sao Paolo and Rio.

Alison attended Mozilla All-Hands December 3-7.

Alison submitted a RightsCon proposal for a panel of security activists
from various organizations.

Sponsor19
Kat started working on the second report for this sponsor.

Relay Advocacy
Colin resumed running once a month IRC relay operator meetings. He also
started planning the FOSDEM relay operator meet-up. Steph and Colin are
working on updating the relay flyers. Colin continues to work on
communicating with OVH regarding relays without contactinfo added to the
network. Finally, Colin has been working with Bill from EFF on a Tor
relay challenge.

--
Alison Macrina
Community Team Lead