[tor-project] OONI Monthly Report: January 2019

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Wed Feb 20 04:13:29 UTC 2019

Hello,

The OONI team started the year by launching OONI Probe mobile 2.0
(revamped mobile app) for Android, iOS and F-Droid. We also established
three new partnerships, published three research reports, and updated
four test lists. We also published a job opening to hire a backend engineer.

## Stable release of OONI Probe mobile 2.0

We launched OONI Probe mobile 2.0!

This is a major milestone in the OONI-verse, enabling community members
to test the URLs of their choice (directly inside the app), have an
overview of test results (thus the ability to compare measurements), a
better user experience, and more.

Information about the revamped app is available via our announcement
blog post: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/revamped-ooni-probe-mobile-app/

You can also learn about OONI Probe mobile 2.0 via Sinar Project's great
review: https://sinarproject.org/digital-rights/updates/ooni-2-0-review

After the initial launch of OONI Probe mobile 2.0 on Android and iOS, we
also released OONI Probe on F-Droid:
https://f-droid.org/packages/org.openobservatory.ooniprobe/

Thanks to support from the Localization Lab and the translator
community, OONI Probe mobile 2.0 was translated to the following 13
languages: Albanian, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, French, German, Greek,
Hindi, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish.

## Established new partnerships

We are excited to have established new partnerships with:

* ASUTIC: Senegalese Association of ICT Users (Senegal)

* Fundación Internet Bolivia.org (Bolivia)

* Open Culture Foundation (Taiwan)

ASUTIC released the following press statement (encouraging the use of
OONI Probe leading up to Senegal's 2019 elections):
http://jotali.com/asutic/fr/monitoring-citoyen-dinternet-et-des-r%C3%A9seaux-sociaux-durant-l%C3%A9lection-pr%C3%A9sidentielle-du-24-f%C3%A9vrier

## Year in Review: OONI in 2018

To share an overview of what the OONI team worked on in 2018, we
published a blog post titled "Year in Review: OONI in 2018", available
here: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/ooni-in-2018/

This blog post also highlights some of the projects we expect to launch
in 2019.

## Report on internet disruption in Gabon

In collaboration with CAIDA's Philipp Winter, we published a report on
the internet disruption that occurred in Gabon amid a coup attempt:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/gabon-internet-disruption/

In this report, we share IODA data and Google traffic data that
corroborate local reports on the internet disruption.

## Report on internet censorship in Zimbabwe

In collaboration with the Digital Society of Zimbabwe, we co-published a
research report examining social media blocking and internet blackouts
in Zimbabwe amid the fuel protests.

Our joint report is available via the following links:

* OONI site:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/zimbabwe-protests-social-media-blocking-2019/

* Digital Society of Zimbabwe site:
http://www.dszim.org/2019/01/23/zimbabwe-protests-social-media-blocking-and-internet-blackouts/

## Report on internet censorship in Venezuela

In collaboration with Venezuela Inteligente and IPYS Venezuela, we
co-published a research report examining the blocking of Wikipedia and
social media in Venezuela amid the country's political crisis.

Our joint report is available via the following links:

* OONI site:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/venezuela-blocking-wikipedia-and-social-media-2019/

* Venezuela Inteligente site:
https://vesinfiltro.com/noticias/report-jan-2019/

* IPYS Venezuela site:
https://ipysvenezuela.org/2019/01/29/from-the-blocking-of-wikipedia-to-social-media-venezuelas-political-crisis/

This research was possible thanks to OONI Probe measurement campaigns
coordinated by Venezuela Inteligente and IPYS Venezuela.

## Updated test lists

We carried out research to create and/or update the following test lists:

* Senegal: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/424

* Bolivia: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/426

* Mexico: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/428

* Paraguay: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/427

## Job opening

We're looking for a Backend Engineer to join OONI to work on:

* our data processing pipeline (& other backend components)

* the improvement of our data analysis heuristics

* the improvement of our network measurement methodologies

Information about the job opening is available here:
https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs-backenddeveloper.html.en

## Userbase

In January 2019, OONI Probe was run 24,5660 times from 4,121 different
vantage points in 211 countries around the world.

~ The OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou
Research & Partnerships Director