[tor-project] announcing the next Tor Meeting location....

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Sun Feb 3 14:46:05 UTC 2019

Hi there,

On 2/2/19 3:04 AM, sajolida wrote:
> Alison Macrina:
>> We're excited to meet and hack with the Tor community in Athens, Greece
>> in May 2019!
>>
>> The meeting planners are working on finalizing the precise dates and
>> people for the invite-only portion of the meeting, but the open days
>> will be held 18-19 May. Mark your calendars!
>
> Hi Alison,
>
> Since your first announcement on November 8, do you have any updates on
> the dates for the invite-only days? Are they going to be before or after
> the open days?

I am pasting an email I sent to tor-internal explaining some changes to
the Dev Meeting. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions and I
will make sure that any future updates comes here as well:

Dear Tor,

I would like to give you a heads up on some changes regarding our dev
meeting in the first half of 2019. First, I want to say that we won't be
having our meeting in May in Athens. The reason for that is that we
would like to change how we have been doing our meetings. Specially in
relationship to the budget of it.

My main goal here is to decrease the budget, we normally pay for these
meetings out of our unrestricted funds but they have become quite
expensive over the past couple years. I believe we could still have a
good meeting but with a much smaller budget, and my goal is to do that.

Talking with Vegas Leads we decided we could try the PETS model where we
would partner with an University to host our meetings. This would give
us free space for the meeting but also the possibility of staying in the
doorms which would decrease the cost of the meetings considerably.

I have been in conversations with a set of Universities that has Tor
people there and who would be happy to host our meeting. I hope to have
the final information regarding where and when in the next couple of
weeks. Sorry for not having it yet, but I wanted to give you all this
heads up because I know folks are making plans and reserving dates so I
just wanted you to know that May and Athens is not a thing anymore.

That said, at least keep in mind if we are doing in partnership with an
University it will have to be during the summer time, which is when they
facilities are quite empty and will be users to use rooms and doorms.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will send more information
as soon as I have them.

cheers,
isabela