[tor-project] Notes from Vegas Meeting DECEMBER 12 2019

Erin Wyatt ewyatt at torproject.org
Fri Dec 13 02:20:38 UTC 2019

Vegas Team Meeting Notes
DECEMBER 12 2019

+ OLD BUSINESS

- Summarized the blog situation in https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32090#comment:6, when do we decide what's next for the blog? -anarcat
	We will discuss the future of blog in january - isabela

- Any progress on putting together Costa Rica initial invite list? Time is passing.
	Isa is working on this, will start the invite list process soon; wants to make sure we have secured funds for meeting.

+ NEW BUSINESS

Sarah
-  Planning for event in San Francisco March 26th. Please add San Francisco contacts who should be invited and mark those who might be willing to invite their contacts to the event.

Matt
- Do we have an engineering contact at DDG? We have an old ticket (#21483) for using DDG's .onion by default. I'd like to talk with them before making a change like this.
	Resolution: Isa have contact there and will reach out.

Roger
- Status on applying to otf to be an engineering team?
	Resolution: Gaba not aware we decided to do this; Roger will head up the process.
- Are we submitting a rightscon session?
	Resolution: Steph will put together a list of our partner orgs that we might do joint proposals with, plus a good contact at each, and reach out to see if they want to collaborate on a proposal. this is a pattern we should be repeating for rightscon, igf, and similar meetings.

isabela
- Lets get the support group started for little t tor questions, onionservices, censorship, browser, mobile questions, metrics
	Discussion: pick name first; onion-advisers? t.b.d., including who will be on the receiving end of the list (i.e. who is an expert on each issue and is able to respond to questions in a timely manner.

+ GENERAL NOTES

Anarcat
 1. finished investigation of the onionoo performance, great team work with the metrics led to significant optimization
 2. summarized the blog situation in https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32090#comment:6, when do we decide what's next for the blog?
 3. misc stuff (sponsor Lektor debian package for Hiro, PGP key refreshes, metrics.tpo server mystery crash #32692, messing around with openstack/linaro,...)

Steph
1) EOY campaign items: blog writing and reviewing, social media promotions
2) working with annalee_ on first outreachy items
3) talking with someone interested in putting Tor into a game
4) will not be on IRC reliably next week but reachable by email and signal
5) submitted to OTF Learning Lab for onion services

Sarah
1. EOY campaign
2. Planning for event in San Francisco March 26th. Please add San Francisco contacts who should be invited and mark those who might be willing to invite their contacts to the event.

Matt
1. Team and feature planning

Mike
1. Finalized circpad tor documentation; merge is/was blocking blog post on Website Oracles (for link
2. Fixing bugs in circpad simulator, as soon as that's done I will write the Sponsor2 report

Roger
1. status on applying to otf to be an engineering team?
2. are we submitting a rightscon session?

GeKo
1. pre-christmas-crunch for all my remaining Tor Browser things
2. more work on network-health planning
3. I started to think about ways to engage more with policy people as this feels important but I got dissuaded, so I won't pursue this
4. I will miss the next Vegas meeting

Alex:
1. Shadow dev hire progress.
2. A lot of smaller follow ups from 1:1's with the team.
3. Network team roadmap meeting next week.
4. Working with Gaba, Hiro, and Anarcat on trying to solve the Gitlab instance issue that have been causing us troubles the last couple of weeks.

Antonela
1. sent november report for the ux team
2. worked with a new /download page for user research > https://lektor-staging.torproject.org/tpo/develop/download/
3. writing proposals for the internet freedom festival 2020
4. nah is coordinating user research sessions with communities in Tanzania, Colombia and Brazil
5. scheduled meetings for january with: SimplySecure + Metrics, Sarah from OTF Red Lab and Fiona from OTF for an s27 demo
6. reviewing and supporting Tunde's fellowship

isabela
1. I have/had a few meetings this week
2. Got the presentation for hackers next door ready (event is this weekend)
3. Working with folks on blog posts for YE campaign
4. Reviewed grant posposals and reports
5. Reviewed updates to Employee handbook (based on feedback giving by folks, this is still a working in progress fyi)
6. Organizing the Membership Program for corporation and organizations to support Tor

Gus
1. Working with cleopatra and reviewing RT/frontdesk questions
2. Organizing remote trainings in Colombia this week and Tanzania next week.
3. Afk this friday - traveling to Brasilia for this event: https://blog.torproject.org/events/criptobaile-brasilia
4. Answering Sponsor9 comments to our last report
5. Submitting two main activities to IFF [ State of the Onion; Tor trainings + Community portal ] this friday
6. Next CryptoRave happens May 15 and 16 2020.

Gaba
1. Sponsor 31 report submitted and blogpost out of the door. https://blog.torproject.org/modularizing-key-aspects-tor-network-moss
2. Sponsor V [Roger: can you look at that pad I sent you and make any comment/feedback?]
3. Looking at gitlab migration/issues.
4. Roadmapping with network team next week.
5. 2 days afk and a lot of trac tickets to catch up with...

Nick
1. New releases out.
2. Writing PETS reviews
3. Talked with MIT masters student interested in scalability/measurement issues.
4. Working on odds and ends between sponsors.

Erin
1. Shadow dev recruiting.
2. Working on handbook. Looking for legal advice re: intellectual property section.
3. We're working on scheduling the next feedback cycle for 2020.

Karsten
1. Deployed Onionoo patch to avoid rewriting unchanged files, which worked out pretty well (#32660).
2. Wrote tests for CollecTor's webstats module in preparation of avoiding reprocessing files.

Pili
1. S9 sync
2. Started working on a Training Partner onboarding workflow for S9
3. Put Tor Project on the Github Sponsors waiting list
4. S9 replies to Phase 2 report
5. OTF Browser proposal revisions
6. Added some ESR tickets to BugSmash Fund
7. Still working on IFF and FOSDEM budgets and activity planning
8. Lots of meetings
9. Will be afk from next Friday 20th December - Monday 6th January

Philipp
1. More grant writing for TTP grant
2. More sponsor 28 (snowflake blocking and understanding why it's slow on windows)...
3. ...and sponsor 30 (porting bridgedb to python 3)