[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 9 December 2019

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Mon Dec 9 20:56:26 UTC 2019

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Monday the 9th
of December 2019.

1) We started out by looking at the 0.4.2 status page on Trac to see how we are
   doing there. As this is probably released when this email is out, we
   decided to skip the step for the next meetings until we begin dealing
   with bugs for 0.4.3.x.

2) We went over our Kanban board.

3) We went over our review queue. People are getting better at
   distributing tickets about between themselves during the week.

4) We shortly discussed a policy proposal by Teor about planning
   meetings. Discussions are going to continue on the network-team
   mailing list.

5) Nobody had anything else to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read today's network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-12-09-17.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

gaba: (updated on December 4th)
    Last week (actual):
    s31 report (we want to send it on Friday)
    sV painfull report
    DRL implementers meeting
    grants proposals
    This week (planned):
    hopefully preparing roadmap activities (way behind this... sorry!)
    will be afk tuesday & wednesday next week
    sV report
    Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 25 November (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - Check gitlab migration
            - Draft s31 report: relay/dirauth modules, tooling, and testing (Deadline: 30 Nov)
            - catching up on emails
            - post-0.4.2.4-rc backports
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Modularisation dependency tooling (#32522)
            - Sponsor 31 code reviews
        Other:
            -

    Week of 25 November and 2 December (actual):
        Take Time for:
            - catching up on emails and IRC x2
            - post-0.4.2.4-rc backports
            - Draft s31 report: relay/dirauth modules, tooling, and testing (Deadline: 30 Nov)
            - Meeting Times proposal
            - Check gitlab migration
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Modularisation dependency tooling (#32522)
            - Sponsor 31 code reviews
            - consider clang -std=gnu99 in Travis for better C99 portability #32500
            - Other small sponsor 31 reviews and merges
        Other:
            - Backports for new releases
            - Updating CI dependencies
            - Python 3 upgrades
            - 0.2.9 LTS end of life preparation
            - Chutney/Tor debugging
            - Reviewing external contributors
            - CI Fixes x 3

Week of 9 December (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - Prioritise work?
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 27 refactor
        Other:
            - Chutney debugging?
            - Bug fixes, ticket triage, and quick reviews
            - 0.2.9 LTS transition
            - Other work?

Week of 9 December (actual):
        Take Time for:
            -
        Roadmap:
            -
        Other:
            - Bug fixes, ticket triage, and quick reviews
            - 0.2.9 LTS transition
            -
Nick:
    Week of 2 December (planned):
        - Various documentation/fundraising writing
        - blog comments
        - PETS bidding
        - Fix needs_revision branches
        - Dirauth configuration isolation (32139)
        - C style work
        - Prep for stable releases, TBD
    Week of 2 December (actual):
        - Various documentation/fundraising writing
        - blog comments
        - PETS bidding
        - Fix needs_revision branches
        - Prepare stable releases
    Week of 9 December (planned):
        - Stable releases: 0.4.2.5, 0.4.1.7, 0.4.0.6, 0.3.5.9.
        - Catch up with old reviews
        - Meeting an MIT masters' student to help w research ideas.
        - Hacking TBD, not sure?

Mike:
    Week of 2 December (planned):
        - Update circpad docs
        - File DNS cache mitigation ticket for Website Oracles paper; show it to Tobias
        - Clear out circpad simulator TODO and review python code
    Since 2 December (actual):
        - Updated circpad docs: Interested parties should review Sections 1.2-1.4; 4.1; 6.3; 7.5
          https://github.com/mikeperry-tor/tor/blob/circuitpadding-dev-doc/doc/HACKING/CircuitPaddingDevelopment.md
        - Filed DNS cache mitigation ticket for Website Oracles paper; showed it to Tobias
          - https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32678
        - Addressed comments from Georg+Tobias on Website Oracles blog post
    Week of 9 December (planned):
        - Finish circpad docs; get docs merged to tor.git origin/master
        - Get Website Oracle blog post live (needs long-term link to circpad docs)
        - Clear out circpad simulator TODO (most are doc items now); update its README; review python code
        - Write draft of Sponsor2 report
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month:
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup
          - (Google masque, BGP, ECN, Dennis's Mozilla video, etc etc...)

catalyst:
    week of 12/02 (2019-W49) (planned):
        - sponsor31 wrap up documentation (#32206, #32208)
        - reviews
        - more follow up about C style
        - GSoD stuff as needed
    week of 12/02 (2019-W49) (actual):
        - sponsor31 wrap up summaries
        - reviews
        - shadow dev hiring stuff
        - #30984 (key-value lines for control.c)
    week of 12/09 (2019-W50) (planned):
        - reviews
        - more architecture documentation (#32206, #32208)
        - C style follow up
        - GSoD stuff as needed

asn:
   Week of 04/12 (planned):
   - Still lots of work to be done with onionbalance. This week will be spent
     in making sure that little-t-tor and onionbalance compute the same hash
     ring. And also starting to do descriptor rotation etc. And maybe making
     onionbalance work over chutney.
   Week of 04/12 (actual):
   - Lots of onionbalance work:
     - Fix hashring calculations for OBv3 both in chutney and realnet
     - Fix broken tests.
     - Make onionbalance work over chutney.
     - Publish both descriptors
     - Fight INTRO2 MAC bug
   - Reviews and merges.
   Week of 09/12 (planned):
   - Figure out solution to INTRO2 MAC bug (talk to Nick about it).
   - Continue work on onionbalance.
     - Start rotating descriptors

ahf:
    Week of 2 December (planned):
    - Lots of phone interviews.
    - Trying to back back on track with S28.
    - Follow up on all the feedback we have gotten about Gitlab.
    - Worked a bit on a "proposal" on issues with Tor's DNS subsystem.
    - Got a bit involved with #32604 (Thanks Tim for the big writeup there!)

    Week of 2 December (actually):
    - Had a lot of phonecalls about Shadow hire. Good progress seems to happen there.
    - Started working on ordering the Gitlab issues from the feedback we have gotten:
        1. Some issues are easy rewrites.
        2. Some are social (dcf found an interesting case where comment ID's are not from {0, 1, ..., N} per ticket, but is rather a global identifier.
    - Began with the "low hanging fruits" of the Gitlab feedback: headers, code, and pre tag errors.
    - Talked a bit with Roger about the DNS subsystem stuff.

    Week of 9 December (planned):
    - Some followups on 1:1's from last week.
    - Hopefully entering the last steps of the Shadow hire process.
    - Will need to do a bit of research for some emails we are working on.
    - Build a personal todo list for finalizing s28 tasks for December and November.
    - Might be a bit slower on IRC this week to try to deal with the s28 backlog I've build.

dgoulet:
  Week of 02/12 (actual):
    - s27: #32021
    - Reviews and merges.
    - AFK for personal reasons.
  Week of 09/12 (planned):
    - s27 final work.

swati:
    Week of December 9 (planned):
    - Plan to continue working on the ticket https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4310.
    - Completed sorting alphabetically the 'General Options' category.
    - Whitespace changes appeared while aplhabetically sorting the 'General Options'. Unfortunately these whitespaces do not throw any errors in HTML. They appear just fine.
    - Since I am unable to see the man-page rendition, I need to figure how to avoid causing whistespace changes in the file.

--
Alexander Færøy