[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 4 December 2019

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Mon Dec 9 15:44:33 UTC 2019

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Wednesday the 4th of
December 2019.

1) We started out by looking at the 0.4.2 status page on Trac to see how we are
   doing there. We discussed whether to release soon, since 0.4.2 is supposed to
   be stable the 15th of December.

2) We went over our Kanban board.

3) We went over our review queue.

4) We discussed upcoming releases. Both the 0.4.2 release, but also stable
   releases. We went over some tickets that might need to be backported.

5) Nobody had anything else to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read today's network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-12-04-22.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

gaba: (updated on December 4th)
    Last week (actual):
    s31 report (we want to send it on Friday)
    sV painfull report
    DRL implementers meeting
    grants proposals
    This week (planned):
    hopefully preparing roadmap activities (way behind this... sorry!)
    will be afk tuesday & wednesday next week
    sV report
    Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)
    Week of 18 November (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - Write relay/dirauth modules, tooling, and testing parts of s31 report (Deadline: 30 Nov?)
            - catching up on emails
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Modularisation dependency tooling (#32522)
              - Do more modularisation (#31851 / #29211)
            - Sponsor 31 code reviews
        Other:
            - Bug fixes, ticket triage, and quick reviews

    Week of 18 November (actual):
        Take Time for:
            - catching up on emails
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Modularisation dependency tooling (#32522)
            - Sponsor 31 code reviews
        Other:
            - Fixing work laptop

    Week of 25 November (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - Check gitlab migration
            - Draft s31 report: relay/dirauth modules, tooling, and testing (Deadline: 30 Nov)
            - catching up on emails
            - post-0.4.2.4-rc backports
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Modularisation dependency tooling (#32522)
            - Sponsor 31 code reviews
        Other:
            - Bug fixes, ticket triage, and quick reviews

    Week of 25 November (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - catching up on emails and IRC x2
            - post-0.4.2.4-rc backports
            - Draft s31 report: relay/dirauth modules, tooling, and testing (Deadline: 30 Nov)
            - Meeting Times proposal
            - Check gitlab migration
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation:
              - Modularisation dependency tooling (#32522)
            - Sponsor 31 code reviews
            - consider clang -std=gnu99 in Travis for better C99 portability #32500
        Other:
            - Bug fixes, doc fixes, ticket triage quick reviews, and merges
            - Updating CI dependencies
            - Python 3 upgrades

Nick:
    Week of 25 November (planned):
        - Short week due to US holiday. Not planning to be available Thursday through Sunday; please use signal if I'm needed.
        - Review and merge
        - Keep an eye on blog comments for 0.4.2.4-rc release post
        - analyze 0421/042 regressions, at last
        - List stuff I want to work on in December.
        - Any last-minute improvements needed for S31 wrapup.
        - Dirauth configuration isolation (32139)
        - Design for 32408 (migration path for options_act_reversible())
    Week of 25 November (actual):
        - Review and merge
        - blog comments
        - S31 writeup stuff
        - Various bugfixes
        - Wrote/edited blog post for giving tuesday.
        - Helped with walking onions proposal
        - Code style/quality work.
    Week of 2 December (planned):
        - Various documentation/fundraising writing
        - blog comments
        - PETS bidding
        - Fix needs_revision branches
        - Dirauth configuration isolation (32139)
        - C style work
        - Prep for stable releases, TBD

Mike:
    Week of 25 November (planned):
        - Catch up on mail
        - Follow-up + summary of scalability meeting
        - Update, file, and triage circpad bugs
        - Document circpad simulator and new bugs/gotchas in circpad doc
        - Document intuition behind state machine choice in circpad doc
        - Finish cleaning up circpad simulator
    Since 25 November (actual):
        - Some circpad simulator review + cleanup; a little bit more remains
        - Caught up on mail
        - Follow-up + summary of scalability meeting; related researcher mails
        - Updated and filed circpad bugs; some more triage + documentation remains
        - Brainstormed options for explicit congestion control; have some candidates
        - Wrote blog post draft for Website Oracles paper
    Week of 2 December (planned):
        - Update circpad docs
        - File DNS cache mitigation ticket for Website Oracles paper; show it to Tobias
        - Clear out circpad simulator TODO and review python code
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month:
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup
          - (Google masque, BGP, ECN, Dennis's Mozilla video, etc etc...)

catalyst:
    week of 11/25 (2019-W48) (planned):
        - public holiday 11/28
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 wrap up
        - more follow up about C style stuff
    week of 11/25 (2019-W48) (actual):
        - public holiday 11/28
        - some feedback to swati re gsod stuff
        - reviewed #32500 -- took a while to chase down origins of some "impossible" behavior
        - looked at #32629
        - sponsor31 wrap up documentation
    week of 12/02 (2019-W49) (planned):
        - sponsor31 wrap up documentation (#32206, #32208)
        - reviews
        - more follow up about C style
        - GSoD stuff as needed

asn:
   Week of 25/11 (planned):
   - Get back to onionbalance work (#31823 and #26768)
   - Do revisions as neede dfor the client auth control port work (#32563)
   - Continue S27 triaging.
   Week of 25/11 (actual):
   - Lots of core onionbalance work. I have a dirty branch that can:
     - Create an onionbalance configuration file and parse it
     - Fetch v3 descriptors from the instances
     - Collect intro points and re-certify them (switch the certificates)
     - Upload v3 descriptors for the service instance.
     - Branch can be found here: https://github.com/asn-d6/onionbalance/tree/v3_dev_wip
   - Worked on client auth control port stuff:
     - Implemented permanent ONION_CLIENT_AUTH_ADD credentials for mcs (#32562)
       - Fixed bug that came out of this (#32667)
     - Implemented some more functionality for the VIEW command for mcs (#30381)
   - Started a [tor-dev] thread about a new requested HS anti-DoS feature:
     https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-December/014097.html
   Week of 04/11 (planned):
   - Still lots of work to be done with onionbalance. This week will be spent
     in making sure that little-t-tor and onionbalance compute the same hash
     ring. And also starting to do descriptor rotation etc. And maybe making
     onionbalance work over chutney.

ahf:
    Week of 25 November (planned):
    - Still some Shadow Dev stuff.
    - Follow up on Gitlab migration work with Gaba
    - Figure out the 503 issue on GL with Hiro
    - Test changes for #19327

    Week of 25 November (actually):
    - Shadow Dev Hire continued. We are making progress.
    - Got lots of feedback from a lot of people in different teams and external contributors about
      issues with our migration, which needs to be fixed.
    - Spend some time looking into the 503 PR issue on GL with Hiro.
    - Talked with Hans about using GL Runners to build HTML versions of torspec.git #32627

    Week of 2 December (planned):
    - Lots of phone interviews.
    - Trying to back back on track with S28.
    - Follow up on all the feedback we have gotten about Gitlab.
    - Worked a bit on a "proposal" on issues with Tor's DNS subsystem.
    - Got a bit involved with #32604 (Thanks Tim for the big writeup there!)

dgoulet:
  Week of 18/11 (actual):
    - s27: #32546, #30381 (reviewed, merged), #32543.
    - s27: Revision on #32020
    - s27: Meeting with asn, triage on all s27 tickets.
    - Worked on a test bed for the NetDev CFP submission.
  Week of 25/11 (planned):
    - Finalize s27-must ticket as much as possible.

--
Alexander Færøy