[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 5 Dec 2019
phw at torproject.org
Fri Dec 6 19:20:23 UTC 2019
Here's our meeting log:
And here's our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday December 5th 18:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
* Projects from sponsors we are working on:
--- 5th December 2019 ---
== Announcements ==
== Discussion ==
* Let's talk about how we choose future STUN servers
* Concerns voiced at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32597#comment:6
* Alternative strategy: https://bugs.torproject.org/25591
* Iran Internet shutdown "post mortem"
* What should we have done differently?
* How can we be better prepared next time?
* Have a DNS based transport that works with recursive ISP-resolvers? (there's a lot of talk about iodine https://github.com/yarrick/iodine in the ooni channels)
* other DNS tunnels: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/DnsPluggableTransport/Survey
* Gettor workflow while gitlab doesn't accept pull requests (I still didn't have time to look at that but I will look it up nextt week. --gaba)
* wrt to the migration we are gathering problems here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/gitlab-migration-problems
* Snowflake seems to be partially blocked in China (see #32657 and #32597)
* Can we get permissions to add/modify nagios monitoring targests ourselves?
* This would remove friction and alleviate load on our admins
* #30946 (port bridgedb to python3) should be on our roadmap
* python2's EOL is on january 1
* Emerald onion has some spare capacity and can help us out
* Do we want anything snowflake-related? More proxy-go instances?
== Actions ==
* Please add your work to our monthly report!
== Interesting links ==
* A guide to work with distributed teams:
"When you’re running a distributed organization, assume that someone missed the email, message, announcement, or meeting."
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
Started restoring Twitter Responder.
When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
- Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
- More with review of strings and website content and translation
This week (2019-12-05):
* Reviewed #32480, #31157, #32576
* Agreed to give a Tor presentation at my old college in Austria, during vacation in January
* Lots of thinking about PT steering committee
* We decided not to be a part of it
* Improved obfs4 docker bridge (#31834)
* Pushed new docker image 0.3 and announced it on tor-relays@
* There's already more in #32550
* Tested new default bridge from UMN; added default bridge from Georgetown; removed dgoulet's IPv6 default bridge
* More work towards getting another data source for RACE, so we can study obfs4 in the wild
* Filed #32622 for a better STATUS_CLIENT message in a specific case
* Added a persistent cache to bridgestrap, so test results don't disappear after a restart
* Testing is computationally expensive and BridgeDB's host seems underprovisioned
* Reached out to UMass Amherst and UMich research groups to get scans of default bridges going
* Reached out to noisebridge once again, in the hope that the default bridge sets 'bridgedistribution none'
* The original maintainers are all gone :/
* Started porting BridgeDB to Python 3
* Will require lots of tedious work
* Took a look at the spydermix system
Gaba: (updated October 30th)
Last week ():
* grants writing
This week (planned):
* gitlab migration: look at issues and problems in gitlab.
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-12-05
Last (2) weeks:
- fixed (wrote, merged, and deployed) a data race in the broker that was causing crashes (#32576)
- merged and deployed collection of proxy type metrics (#31157)
- finished snowflake test coverage (#29259 and #32300)
- continued work on understanding snowflake health (#32545)
- started investigating possible snowflake blocking in China (#32657)
- read papers and made some progress on grant writing
- worked on setting up some throughput tests for windows (#31971)
- made more fixes to gettor script for releases (#32480)
- updated web extension and web badge deployments with new translations and #31157
- finish full draft of grant
- continue on #29206 and #25723
- run some concrete tests for snowflake on windows (#31971)
- update github gettor links (#32393)
- revisit #31109 and see if there's more we need to do for that
- work on snowflake test suites #25595
- continue snowflake health checks and looking at censorship in china (#32657)
- review of #32300 and #29259
- gettor repo at https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor is still behind
- can't make pull requests in gitlab still
- permissions error for https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31157#comment:14
- add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake #32499
- read up on turbo tunnel
- pick a new task (#31902, #31201, #19026, ?)
- review #32499
- helped debug a broker crash (#32576)
- turbo tunnel in meek
- noted some Gitlab migration issues at https://pad.riseup.net/p/gitlab-migration-problems
- wrote a summary of the Conjure paper
- decommission old broker (#32502)
- turbo tunnel in meek
More information about the tor-project