[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 29 Aug 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Aug 29 17:28:21 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-08-29-16.59.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday August 29nd 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor/boards

    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

---------------------------
----  29th August 2019 ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    * Our obfs4 bridge campaign is now live!
        * https://blog.torproject.org/run-tor-bridges-defend-open-internet

== Discussion ==

    *

== Actions ==

    * Let me know what we should include in our monthly report: https://pad.riseup.net/p/ThKAw7J-lXGU3AY3uBwp

== Interesting links ==

    *

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro: (2019-08-29)(gettor days are Thursday - snippets https://dip.torproject.org/snippets)
- Add script to update download endpoints from gettor VM: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor/blob/master/scripts/update_files
- Configure github and gitlab so that getulum can push
- Add script to export stats in CSV: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor/blob/master/scripts/export_stats
- Delete old gettor instances on gettor VM
- gettor should use ansible for deployment and updates: started coding recipes

Next week
- use archive.org as new distribution endpoint: upload files to archive.org
- review specs: are specs up-to-date? should we change something in the specs?
- review request channels: We are currently only using email. Is it worth to have a chat bot on twitter to distribute links? should we consider other chat platforms instead?
- statistics for help emails are not summing up correctly
- prepare repo and web for locales

hiro: (2019-08-22)(gettor days are Thursday - snippets https://dip.torproject.org/snippets)
    This week:
        gettor-web: updates to documentation and website (current website is outdated)
        gettor:
           fix pipeline. Talk to browser team about the recommended version file format (so that our scripts do not break)
                check documentation
                how to make deployment easier. can it be done via jenkins? ci?
    Next week:
        gettor:
            use archive.org as new distribution endpoint: upload files to archive.org
            review specs: are specs up-to-date? should we change something in the specs?
            review request channels: We are currently only using email. Is it worth to have a chat bot on twitter to distribute links? should we consider other chat platforms instead?
    Past week: on vaca!

phw:
  This week (2019-08-29):
        * Helped with launching Tor bridge campaign
            * Tested new obfs4 bridges and worked with some operators who ran into issues
        * Interacted with university folks who may be able to run new default bridges for us
        * RACECAR meeting to discuss progress on obfs4 improvements
        * Made some progress on obfs4 improvements (#30716)
            * Read up on website fingerprinting literature to understand status of ML-based attacks
                * Made me realise that obfs4's flow obfuscation was misguided
            * Experimenting with improving the way obfs4 shapes its flows
        * Re-built and re-deployed snowflake broker (#31454)
        * Re-built and re-deployed meek-server on BridgeDB (#31455)
        * Filed ticket to get rid of BridgeDB's silly chatspeak (#31528)
        * Started working on code to extract stable and unallocated bridges from BridgeDB for manual distribution
        * Worked with our new default bridge operator (#31164)
  Next week:
        * More work on obfs4 improvements
  Help with:
        *

Gaba: (updated August 22nd)
   Last week ():
            * added september issues to the gitlab kanban board https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/-/boards
    This week (planned):
            *

ahf - on leave
    Last week:
        - Worked on #28930
    This week:
        - Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
        - Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-08-29
Last week:
    - deployed /metrics handler (#31376) and updated snowflake metrics spec (#31493) in preparation for CollecTor integration
    - implemented and updated snowflake webextensions with fix for session termination (#31385)
    - implemented and deployed a fix for the proxy ID reuse vuln (#31460)
    - moved snowflake metrics spec to snowflake repo (#31407)
        - fiddled with snowflake metrics spec to get it working for collecTor (#31493)
    - finally got around to updating snowbox
    - made progress on sequencing layer (#29206)
    - started reading up on NSF SaTC TTP
This week:
    - make a patch for the proxy---broker communication (#29207)
    - stay updated on pion rbm build (#28942)
    - snowflake dogfood
    - continue work on sequencing layer (#29206)
    - revisit snowflake reachability scripts, check status of tests, and enhance (#30368)
Help with:
    - review of progress on sequencing layer (#29206)
    - review of putting snowflake spec in git repo (#31407)
    - quick review of proposed protocol changes for proxy---broker (#29207) <-- not urgent, i can move forward with what i have

catalyst:
    week of 08/22 (planned):
        - reorienting after leave
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff
    week of 08/22 (actual):
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff
    week of 08/29 (planned):
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff (control protocol refactoring that will hopefully lead to better bootstrap reporting)

arlolra: 2019-08-29
    Last week:
        - merged #30310
        - helped with some review
    Next week:
        - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
        - make an attempt at #31391
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2019-08-29
    Last week:
        - merged the meek-http-helper port to WebExtension (#29347)
        - read and summarized the Point Break paper from Usenix 19 https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2019-August/000035.html
        - tried to reproduce a Snowflake packaging problem on Debian 9 (#31380)
        - reviewed serna's patch for broker-controlled Snowflake poll interval (#25598)
        - Helped deploy snowflake proxy webext-0.0.10 (#31385, #31200, https://archive.org/details/snowflake-webextension-0.0.10 )
        - Redeployed my meek-server instances to mitigate a Go HTTP/2 DoS (#31455)
        - reviewed a patch to remove proxy IDs from broker /debug (#31460)
        - worked on an rbm build of Snowflake with pion-webrtc (#28942)
        - applied a documentation fix for file ownership in snowflake.tpo deploy (#31496)
        - filed a ticket to link Cupcake from snowflake.tpo (#31497)
        - Turbo Tunnel prototyping.
    Next week:
        - review Snowflake sequencing layer (#29206)
        - add snowflake to the Windows build with pion-webrtc (#28942)
        - Turbo Tunnel prototyping
    Help with:
        - redeploy meek-azure bridge for Go net/http DoS vulnerability (#31455)
          - needs attention from inf0 at Team Cymru (dcf has sent email)
        - someone to try to reproduce my checksums from https://bugs.torproject.org/28942#comment:43