[tor-project] nextcloud: next steps

gaba gaba at riseup.net
Tue Aug 27 19:20:01 UTC 2019

This meeting happened and we decided to move forward with nextcloud
replacing storm.torproject.org

Meeting logs here:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-08-27-17.59.html

Notes (from https://pad.riseup.net/p/A3KznPZJy4ZOpqSXEwT5)

Tuesday August 27th, 1800 UTC at #tor-meeting in irc.oftc.net

Agenda

    discuss pros/cons on nextcloud

    decide next steps on moving or not to nextcloud

Next steps

    File a ticket to decide on own nextcloud instance versus an instance
from someone else like riseup. (ln5) [done: #31540]

    Get the new instance up and running

    Create users on the new instance, migrating data from the current
instance when applicable.

    Notify storm people that its being closed down, and they will need
to move their stuff. Do not create new things in storm

    Migrate all used files from storm into nextcloud. The migration will
happen by its owners, for data that does have an owner. Appoint Someone
(tm) to take care of the rest, or decide that it disappears.

    Storm people are told that they have 2 weeks to move anything off of
storm to NC, and then it will be shutdown

    Storm is shutdown, but the data and install is left untouched for
6months-1year, and someone is tasked with hand cranking it alive when
someone realizes they have a document there that they didn't move

    After a year, its put into some backup and the service is removed

    Party!

Activities:

*please add user cases, pros and cons for nextcloud*

Use Cases

- Calendar: sharing events, meetings and private vacation calendar.
- People still using SVN #1702 for senstive corp documents . Can we move
it to nextcloud?
  - I think this is a separate discussion -- we're not putting these
documents in the same instance as a general NC. /ln5
- Collaborative writing on documents (blogposts, grants)
- Host any document that can not be in grantshub, public wiki or any
other public site.

PROs

. it loads much better than storm
. apps being mantained
* easier to have collaborative folders of documents / no one person is
holding shared files

CONs

. onlyoffice may still not be enough for the collaborative editing that
grants teams need (track changes + comments system not as good as gdoc)-
same for comms