[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 8 Aug 2019
phw at torproject.org
Thu Aug 8 18:05:57 UTC 2019
Are you wondering why a meeting would start with the words "just throw
an ice cube in there"? You may not find an answer to this question, but
you should still read our meeting logs!
...and here's our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday August 8th 17:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
* Note that there's a bug that causes the roadmap to load slowly. To work around it, first click on "All boards", and then on "ROADMAP Anti-censorship team"
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
---- 8th August 2019 ----
== Announcements ==
* The ICLab folks started measuring the reachability of our default bridges from their VPN vantage points!
* Psiphon expressed an interest in publishing data on their anti-censorship tool usage!
== Discussion ==
* Sponsor 30
* timeline: https://nc.riseup.net/s/JQfpF2QY42ZxZgM
* in trac: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31268
* Testing gitlab for managing roadmap https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Snowflake web extension https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~snowflake-webextension Anything from that list should be in our roadmap?
* #31278 (checking after meeting)
* #31285 (checking after meeting)
* #31310 (checking after meeting)
* What do we do with #31153 "Create a "tor-bridge" Debian meta package" ?
* Sponsor 28
* do we resume monthly meetings? last one was June 27th. We can do one the last week of August. -> We bring updates on S28 to the weekly anti-censorshi meetings.
* Do we need anything else from metrics team for #30777 - Run a "set up new bridges" campaign ? Not so far.
* Snowflake migration to TPA: we can get a tp.net domain right away that points to dcf's hosts. do we want to push for TPA hosts for this soon or push it out?
== Actions ==
== Interesting links ==
* Proposed turning MASQUE into a pluggable transport:
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
hiro: (gettor days are Thursday) - on leave
This week (2019-08-08):
* Created monthly anti-censorship team report and sent it to tor-project@
* Summarised what I learned from Nathan about censorship of Android play store and sent it to RACE list
* Wrote fix to make BridgeDB distribute vanilla IPv6 bridges again
* Interacted with IETF MASQUE people, pointing them at pluggable transports
* Emergency GetTor maintenance and bug fixes
* Filed ticket to have TvdW's default bridge removed
* His server contracting is ending with Aug 31st :(
* Improved our "set up an obfs4" bridge guide and made other guides point to it
* Wasted time trying to understand odd MTU packets for a default bridge
* Turns out it had a non-standard TCP MSS :(
Gaba: (updated August 6th)
Last week ():
This week (planned):
ahf - on leave
- Worked on #28930
- Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
- Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-08-08
- CLSI (31 July - 2 Aug)
- PTO(5 Aug - 7 Aug)
- merged #31100 (bug fix for loop in Firefox)
- provided more information for #31232 (migrate snowflake infra to tpa machines)
- updated snowflake webextension version
- made ticket for adding a metrics collector handler to the snowflake broker (#31376)
- snowflake dogfood
- finish windows build of pion branch (#28942 and #28942)
- sequencing layer for snowflake (#29206)
- /metrics handler for collector (#31376)
- look at #30126 to see if there's an rbm/Golang issue we can help with
catalyst: - on leave
week of 07/11 (actual):
- Stockholm meeting
week of 07/18 (actual):
- recovering from travel
week of 07/25 (planned):
- recovering from travel
- mostly sponsor31
- preparing for extended leave starting 07/29
- revisions to #30310
- start looking at the suggestions in #31109
- add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
- maybe more review of #31170
- branch for Snowflake dark mode (#31170)
- will be at FOCI/Usenix security
- there is something wrong with Golang and the macOS SDK in #30126 that I haven't looked at yet
Help with: let's sync on S30 work - what is needed on my side?
More information about the tor-project