[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 1 Aug 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Aug 1 17:36:28 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting notes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-08-01-17.00.log.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday August 1st 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/knaG2lEzepdsCC21DYk4dD4hRtwcUGnXQvalH1sKEAM
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
        * Note that there's a bug that causes the roadmap to load slowly.  To work around it, first click on "All boards", and then on "ROADMAP Anti-censorship team"
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/anti-censorship/gettor/boards

    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

---------------------------
----   1st August 2019  ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * Gettor seems to be down #31307
    * Roadmap: how are we doing? Is everybody ok for me to organize it in gitlab instead of storm?
        * trac updated it under keyword anti-censorship-roadmap: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~anti-censorship-roadmap&col=id&col=summary&col=keywords&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

== Actions ==

    *

== Interesting links ==

    * https://davidschinazi.github.io/masque-drafts/draft-schinazi-masque.html
        * We should at least follow the standardisation process.

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro: (gettor days are Thursday)
    This week:
    Next week:
    Past week:

phw:
  This week (2019-08-01):
        * Filed #31250 for snowflake.
        * Filed #31252 for snowflake.
        * Reviewed Tor Research Safety Board submission.
        * Proof-read Roger's DEFCON slides.
        * Revised BridgeDB patch for #9316 and sent summary of preliminary results to tor-dev at .
            * Inspired by Karsten's feedback, thought about how to implement aggregate statistics.
        * Got the commit bit for the website and updated obfs4 setup guide.
        * Added a work-in-progress wiki page on retiring pluggable transports:
            * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports/GuidelinesForRetiringPTs
        * Read new IETF MASQUE proposal and subscribed to their mailing list:
            * Here's a summary: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2019-July/000027.html
        * Started working on improving flow obfuscation in obfs4:
            * Realised that obfs4's iat=1 mode sends 1350-byte (instead of 1500-byte) packets on both Linux and Windows? Trying to figure out why.
        * A little bit more work in improving PT spec based on the issues we collected:
            * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29285#comment:5
  Next week:
  Help with:

Gaba: (updated August 1st)
   Last week ():
            * off-line
    This week (planned):
            * hopefully will get into the roadmap
            * hopefully move forward organizing s30

ahf
    Last week:
        - Worked on #28930
    This week:
        - Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
        - Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-08-01 (will try to attend, but at CLSI)
    Last week:
        - CLSI (31 July - 2 Aug)
        - talk preparation
        - checked on pion proxy and made progress towards windows build
        - review of #27385 and merges
        - review of some racecar reports/documents
    This week:
        - going to be on vacation Aug 5 - Aug 7
        - snowflake dogfood
        - finish windows build of pion branch (#28942 and #28942)
        - sequencing layer for snowflake (#29206)
    Help with:

catalyst:
    week of 07/11 (actual):
        - Stockholm meeting
    week of 07/18 (actual):
        - recovering from travel
    week of 07/25 (planned):
        - recovering from travel
        - mostly sponsor31
        - preparing for extended leave starting 07/29

arlolra: 2019-08-01
    Last week:
        - review of #31170
        - deployed #27385
    Next week:
        - revisions to #30310
        - start looking at the suggestions in #31109
        - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
        - maybe more review of #31170
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2019-08-01
    Last week:
        - merged some refactoring for Snowflake dark mode (#31170)
        - reviewed proxy deadlock fix (#31100)
    Next week:
        - finish Snowflake dark mode (#31170)
    Help with: