[tor-project] OONI Monthly Report: March 2019

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Thu Apr 18 11:24:13 UTC 2019

Hello,

The OONI team made steady progress in March 2019.

## OONI Explorer

Over the last year, we have been working on revamping OONI Explorer
entirely. This has involved re-writing all of the OONI Explorer codebase
in react.js (using next.js), re-designing the platform entirely to
improve its UX, creating a more powerful search tool (which required a
series of improvements to the OONI data processing pipeline), and adding
a number of new features (based on community requests).

During March 2019, we:

* Worked on the new country profile pages

* Worked on the  the landing page and highlights page

* Created the initial design of the mobile version for all major pages

We expect to launch the revamped OONI Explorer in May 2019.

## System for sharing OONI metadb with third parties

We have been working on setting up a system for sharing OONI's metadata
database with third parties. This will allow external people to setup
their own instance of the OONI measurement database that powers OONI API
and OONI Explorer.

The progress of our work on this can be tracked via the following
ticket: https://github.com/ooni/sysadmin/issues/272

## ndt7

OONI's Simone has been working on an improved performance test called
ndt7, which is meant to replace the NDT test currently available in the
OONI Probe mobile app. This development activity started during his OTF
fellowship at Measurement Lab and he has continued to work on it since.
During March 2019, he worked on the Golang server and on the Golang and
JavaScript clients. By the end of the month, the code quality and
readiness was near a first alpha version.

See https://github.com/m-lab/ndt-server and
https://github.com/m-lab/ndt7-client-golang/pull/3.

## OONI pipeline

We worked on improving the testing and documentation of the OONI pipeline:

* https://github.com/ooni/pipeline/pull/145
* https://github.com/ooni/pipeline/pull/144
* https://github.com/ooni/pipeline/pull/147
* https://github.com/ooni/pipeline/pull/149

## OONI Probe mobile apps

We worked on adding support for uploading non-uploaded measurements in
OONI Probe Android and iOS:

* https://github.com/ooni/probe-ios/pull/258
* https://github.com/ooni/probe-android/pull/214

We finalized the implementation of unit tests for OONI Probe Android and
iOS:

* https://github.com/ooni/probe-ios/pull/246
* https://github.com/ooni/probe-android/pull/195

We released OONI Probe 2.0.6 iOS with an OONI Run fix:
https://github.com/ooni/probe-ios/pull/261

## Backend Engineer interviews

We interviewed a number of backend engineers who applied for the OONI
job opening (https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs/). We are now
finalizing the interview rounds and hope to hire an engineer by mid-May
2019.

## Community activities

### Vietnam Cyber Dialogue (VCD)

OONI's Maria & Arturo participated at the Vietnam Cyber Dialogue (VCD)
in Valencia, Spain, on 31st March 2019. As part of their participation,
they facilitated a session on censorship measurement.

Information about the event is available here:
https://internetfreedomfestival.org/vietnam-cyber-dialogue/

### Localization Lab Summit

OONI's Elio participated at the Localization Lab Summit in Valencia,
Spain, on 31st March 2019. As part of his participation at the Summit,
he met with translators and facilitated sessions about how UX and
localization can play better together in order to have better
internalization support.

Information about the event is available here:
https://www.localizationlab.org/blog/2019/2/22/join-the-localization-lab-summit-at-iff-2019

### Community meeting

On 26th March 2019, we hosted an OONI community meeting on our Slack
channel (https://slack.openobservatory.org/). As part of the meeting, we
shared updates on OONI sessions facilitated at the Internet Freedom
Festival (IFF) and information about the OONI job opening for a backend
engineer position (https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs/).

## Userbase

In March 2019, OONI Probe was run 700,880 times from 5,115 different
vantage points in 211 countries around the world.

This information can also be found through our stats:
https://api.ooni.io/stats

~ The OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou