[tor-project] March 2019 report for the Tor Browser team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Apr 5 09:00:00 UTC 2019

Hello!

In March the Tor Browser team made four releases, Tor Browser 8.0.7[1],
8.0.8[2], 8.5a9[3], and 8.5a10[4].

Tor Browser 8.0.7 and 8.5a9 picked up regular Firefox security bug fixes
and new Tor versions (0.3.5.8 and 0.4.0.2-alpha respectively). 8.5a9 was
the first alpha release featuring two out of the four major projects
which I mentioned in my previous monthly report: our security slider
redesign[5] and cross-compilation of 32bit Linux bundles[6].
Additionally, that alpha shipped with the new mobile bootstrap and
bridge configuration screens as well as pluggable transport support.

Tor Browser 8.0.8 and 8.5a10 were emergency releases picking up bug
fixes found during the Pwn2Own contest.[7]

During March we finished our Tor Launcher migration as well which will
be available in the first alpha of the 9.0 series. Additionally, we made
further progress on dropping Orbot but are not there yet, alas. That
item is the last big blocker for our next alpha and the upcoming 8.5
stable release.

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in March is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201903` keyword in our bug tracker.[8]

For April we plan to release another alpha with all the
`tbb-8.5-must-alpha`[9] tickets fixed and later this month the final 8.5
release. For tickets on our radar for the stable release see the
`tbb-8.5-must`[10] and `tbb-8.5`[11] keywords.

Apart from releases, this month will be the first month we start with
Sponsor27 work. The first item we'll work on is integrating client-side
authorization support into Tor Browser, a long-requested and important
feature.[12] We also plan to help with providing snowflake support for
mobile Tor Browser users which is covered under our Sponsor19.[13]

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201904` keyword in our bug tracker.[14]

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-807
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a9
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-808
[4] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a10
[5] https://bugs.torproject.org/25658
[6] https://bugs.torproject.org/26323
[7] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2019-10/
[8]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201903
[9]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~tbb-8.5-must-alpha&order=priority
[10]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~tbb-8.5-must&order=priority
[11]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~tbb-8.5&order=priority
[12] https://bugs.torproject.org/30000
[13] https://bugs.torproject.org/28672
[14]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201904