[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 24 Sep 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Sep 25 13:53:16 UTC 2018


(So you know, we won't be having an online meeting next week.)

Our meeting logs are available from

The contents of our pad are below.

= Network team meeting pad! =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
4 Sep: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-September/001965.html
10 Sep: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-September/001972.html
17 Sep: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-September/001982.html
24 Sep:

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!  [but see discussion]

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

---- 24 September 2018

== Announcements ==

Tor 0.3.2 will not be supported past 9 October (2 weeks from now):

Here are the Mexico City meeting schedules:

Tor employees, please do timesheets each week, or in the worst case by
the end of the month. The new schema (all network team work goes in
"Network Team") should make this much faster.

== Discussion ==

  * Let's defer non-essential tickets from the 0.3.5.x-final milestone

* [dgoulet] asn and I haven't assign needs_review yet. Do we want it
considering Tor meeting or not? If yes, only 035 or not?

 * On the meeting:
    Are we missing any sessions we need?
    Are there any sessions we don't need?
    [isa] what prep work we can do for roadmaping in Mexico? ->

== Updates ==

teor (offline):
   last week:
       - Travel preparation
       - Meeting schedules and preparation
       - Worked on #27288 and children - required protocol error
       - Review the changelog, make check-changes better (#27761)
       - make macOS Travis much faster by changing how we install
dependencies (#27738)
       - Code reviews for PrivCount in Tor, protover, macOS i386 time,
client auto IPv6
   this week:
       - More travel preparation
       - Sit on planes and in airports
       - Take some time off before the meeting
       - Work out what needs to be done at the meeting, and what can
wait until after
       - I am on the CI rotation, but I'll be offline for at least 3/5 days

 [Flying to Mexico tomorrow. Will be packing and having dinner with
family tonight. Very likely not at the meeting]
 Last week:
 - Helped isabela with onion funding proposal
 - Wrote SponsorV annual report
 - Review many v3 tickets: #27774, #27410, #27797, #27550.
 - Re-review #4700.
 - Review #27709.
 - Review CF's latest blog post.
 - Feedback for #27471.
 This week:
 - Packing and travelling to Mexico.


Last week:

* Revised whitepaper on sidechannels.

* Hunted bugs

* Released

* Diagnosed and fixed #27795 (fd miscouting leading to Tor thinking it
was out of FDs)

* Made Tor compile happily with -flto

* Released to fix #27795

* Patches to split a few modules that were large and/or not where they belonged.

* Wrote proposal 297 to suggest a change to protover-based shutdown behavior

* Review, merge, etc

This week:

* PETS reviews

* More module splitting

* Defer more tickets from 0.3.5

* More Mexico prep

* Probably taking short days on Thu/Fri to make up for working over
this coming weekend.

* See you in Mexico on Saturday morning!

  Last week:
    - Worked on annoying HS bugs: #27410, #27550 and #27774 specifically.
    - Patch for #27549 again in the HS code.
    - 035 ticket review (See Timeline for this).
    - Started writing a unit test for #27471 theory so we can test the
      proposed solution.
  This week:
    - Planning to continue the 035 review/patch ticket work.
    - I'll also tackle some long standing HSv3 bugs which includes #27838 that
      re-appeared today. #27471 of course to finalize.
    - I'm on Ticket Triage this week.

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - More patch work for #25502.
            - Started an experiment with trying to use Rust's mio for event
              loop in Tor.
            - Reviewed: #27686
            - Added some documentation for #4700 and got it landed.
            - Went over CV's for the sysadmin job opening.
            - Helped some people trying to understand the #4700 proxy code and
              the whole CF onion thing.
            - Read the DeepCorr paper.
    This week:
            - Comment on sysadmin CV's/ranking.
            - Travel to Mexico(!!!)
            - Some preparation for the Mexico trip.

    last week (2018-W38):
        - somewhat unwell, hopefully just travel vaccines
        - bug triage rotation
        - code reviews
        - travel prep
        - troubleshooting for #27484 after seeing it myself
    this week (2018-W39):
        - CI+Coverity rotation
        - more travel prep
        - Mexico City
        - people who do Rust, i could use some opinions on "how do we
want to do dependency updates anyway?" for #27130

Mike (having IRC shell issues? hrmm..):
  Last week:
    - Mexico City travel mails
    - Vanguard updates
    - Fixed up #23512
  This week:
    - Travel prep
    - Vanguards release?
    - WTF-PAD work


Last week:

- Onboarding with Isa

This week:

- Reading and preping for mexico

More information about the tor-project mailing list