[tor-project] UX Team Report - August 2018

Antonela Debiasi tor at antonela.me
Fri Sep 14 18:39:05 UTC 2018

Hi Tor,

Those are the highlights from last month:

* Tor Browser
Tor Browser 8 got released, and I'm proud of the work we did in
collaboration with the Development, Community and Communications teams.
We thought about the user experience browsing with Tor Browser 8 as an
opportunity to educate users. Educated users empower our product.
The new circuit display, the onion padlock, and the new onboarding are
just the beginning.
https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-80

Tor Browser for Android got it first alpha release, please download it
and let us know what do you think!
https://blog.torproject.org/new-alpha-release-tor-browser-android

* Tor Browser Icon
Tor browser got significant visual updates, and we think that our icon
should reflect it. Yes, Tor Browser needs a new icon *_*
I have been working on some concepts to replace the globe icon. What do
you think? Do you have ideas? Dump there at the ticket!

* New torproject.org Website
After the support portal launch, we continued our Tor Project website
redesign focusing on landing pages. We are working with the
Communications Team iterating content and layout.
You anxious? Feel free to sneak peek the prototype here:
https://marvelapp.com/project/2397265/

* Usability Research
Helen is traveling through Kenya meeting and interviewing our users.
We are using the ticket #27010 for hosting all our usability research
efforts.

* Academic Research
Marshini Chetty and Agnieszka Dutkowska-Żuk from Princeton have been
playing with .onions for a while and also they wrote a paper (!).
Last month we met to talk about further usability research related with
onion services and Tor Browser. Thanks, Marshini and Agnieszka!

* Conferences
Hiro spoke about onions and different user cases at Fullstackfest in
Barcelona. Are you curious about .onions? You can see the slides here:
https://slides.com/hiropaw/deck-15-18#/

* S9 - Localization
The new Tor Browser 8 got released with 9 nine more language support:
Catalan, Irish, Indonesian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish, Hebrew,
Swedish, and Traditional Chinese. Thanks, emmapeel, arthurdelsdein, ggus
and folks around the globe for making it happen!

On behalf of the Tor UX team,
Antonela