[tor-project] Notes from network-team meeting, 10 Sep 2018

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Mon Sep 10 17:22:55 UTC 2018

Hello!

(I ran the meeting for nickm this week.)

Our meeting logs are at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-09-10-16.59.txt

Our pad:

---

= Network team meeting pad! =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html
18 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001835.html
25 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001863.html
2 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001866.html
9 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001884.html
16 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001888.html
23 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001926.html
30 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001928.html
6 Aug: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-August/001936.html
13 Aug: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-August/001947.html
20 Aug: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-August/001954.html
27 Aug: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-August/001963.html
4 Sep: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-September/001965.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are there important documents we should link to?  Things we should archive?

* Check rotations at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!  [but see discussion] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~035-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&order=priority

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work for the next releases

-------------------------------
---- 10 September 2018
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

== Updates ==

Nick:
  * Last week:
    * Merged OSS-Fuzz corpus into tor-fuzzing-corpora
    * Revised and merged complicated branches, including NSS
    * Handled fallout from NSS merge. whoops
    * Reviewed and merged v3 client auth (kudos to all who worked on it!)
    * Worked towards stable releases
    * Worked on getting clients not to need a cached_dir_t
  * This week
    * Stable releases (monday)
    * Fix OSS-Fuzz build
    * revise whitepaper
    * Start my prep for the mexico city meeting
    * Review and merge lots of stuff
    * Maybe, work on getting networkstatus to be mmaped.
    * Prep for feature freeze on friday: Lots of review and merge.
    * Post-freeze 0.3.5 ticket triage

teor (offline):
   last week (from Tuesday):
       - I was on CI / Coverity rotation
       - Fixed some failures in chutney due to 0.3.4 changes (#27146 and children)
         - I tried some other fixes, but they turned out worse than before the fix
       - Emailed Travis CI again to fix startup hangs and network failures (#27366)
       - Fixed Windows/GCC 8 CI (#27389 and children)
       - Coverity found some issues in the new HSv3 client auth code
       - I didn't get a chance to look at Jenkins, is it ok?

       - Final 0.3.4 ticket triage
       - Bwauth work (#27398)
       - Other fast fixes, reviews, and ticket triage
       - Travel and expense admin
   this week:
       - Reviews! (I didn't do many reviews last week, due to 0.3.4)
       - Maybe we should run the latest GCC and clang in CI?
       - Create an updated list of fallback directory mirrors (#24786)
       - Catch up on meeting planning
       - If nothing more urgent comes up, back to PrivCount

ahf:
    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Cleanup of #25502 code, test on Windows.
            - Looked at Nick's TLS work with NSS.
        Misc:
            - Reviewed #27315 and #17837.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Get #25502 reviewed and in.
            - Work on things that shows up because of it or other pre-freeze tasks.
        Misc:
            - Maybe help asn with the HS proxy circuit identifier code if there
              is time (#4700).
            - CI/Coverity role.
            - Do an interview on a Ukrainian podcast about Tor.

asn:
 [Might be offline during this meeting due to personal stuff.]
 Last week:
 - Helped out with the client auth stuff which is now merged. Did some testing
   of the feature, addressed some review feedback, found and fixed some bugs.
 - Discussed "onion services open issues" document with people.
 - Reviewed #26769, #27344.
 - Started a [tor-dev] thread about the state of the HA proxy patch #4700.
 This week:
 - Work on any other pre-freeze items. I took over #4700 from ahf; let's see if
   I can make it happen before the freeze.
 - Fix any other stuff that come up from the HS client auth work.
 - Do reviews.

catalyst:
    last week (2018-W36):
        - fought with a sticky failure in Travis probably caused by caching
        - are the Travis performance gains from caching worth the headaches from sticky failures?
        - cleaned up #27402 work somewhat
    this week (2018-W37):
        - clean up and make pull request for #27402
        - work on #27100 and #27103

haxxpop:
    Last week:
        - Worked on client auth.
        - Refactor some code on client auth.
    This week:
        - Fix bugs if we find in client auth

dgoulet:
  Last week:
    * Worked on #20700 (hs v3 client authorization). Now merged upstream. The
      credit needs to go to haxxpop here so congrats! :)
    * Opened #27544 for the things to fix/work about #20700 post-merge.
    * Some NSS testing I did on my test relays. Couple fixes from nickm came
      out of it.
  This week:
    * Rush all things that needs to go in before the 035 freeze.

Mike:
  Last week:
    - Worked nostly on non-core things (TBB 8 crash; investigating a mobile issue; vanguards README_SECURITY updates).
  This week:
    - Figure out how dirconns link to edge conns? (Does anyone understand this code?) [dgoulet: I would say Roger has been of great help in the past there for me :)]

---

Cheers!
David

--
hCUSKfQhMOyOuV6tih13519RH3ZKS4Hc3o/XxZHHwZY=