[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 22 Oct

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Oct 23 23:07:12 UTC 2018


Our meeting logs are at:


Here is our update pad:


= Network team meeting pad! =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
17 Sep: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-September/001982.html
24 Sep: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-September/001996.html
1 Oct: No online meeting; in-person meeting in Mexico City.
9 Oct: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-October/002005.html
15 Oct: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-October/002027.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!  [but see discussion]

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as
"fix" the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar

<< Remember that priority is Sponsor 8 - roadmap is sort out by priority >>

---- 22 October 2018

== Announcements ==

Please don't bulk-delete all the old entries from this pad any more.
Instead, delete the "planned" and "actual" for the previous week, but
leave the "planned" for this week in place.

== Discussion ==

- Merging code into master by subsystem.
- Reminder to comment/note on team rotation changes:
- Anybody can help juga with sbws stuff (other than teor)? - ahf & catalyst
- Hackweek Preparation https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-hackweek-2019.1-keep

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!

    Week of 10/15 (planned):
        - Any roadmapping tasks Gaba asks me to help with. :)
        - More review and merge
        - Finish new-API design proposals, ask for review
        - Meet to discuss Gettor plans
        - Talk with Teor about ideal meeting schedule (ie, which
meeting to move to a more convenient time)
        - Talk with Teor about stable maintenance?
        - Talk with Catalyst and Ahf about bootstrap reporting
subtasks and plans
        - Talk with Gaba about hackweek planning
        - Release an 0.3.5 alpha
        - Open merge window for 0.3.6.

Week of 10/15 (actual):

- Code review and merged

- Tried to help others with debugging hard stuff. Not sure I really
solved anything, but I maybe was an effective "rubber duck".  (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging )

- Released, opened master for 0.3.6

- Chased down a big-endianness bug as #28115

- Talked with various people as per plans

- Needs review: Put out API design proposals at
https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/volatile/api-design/ .

- Tracked down OSS-Fuzz regression, opened

- Did #27225 (Memoize summarize_protover_flags()) to reduce allocation
count and maybe memory fragmentation


Week of 10/22 (planned):

     - Review and comment on latest prop295 draft.

- Help Gaba with anything she asks for help with

- Move review, more merge

- Ramp dgoulet up with code merging?

- Possibly, implement pub/sub API?

- Attending "New England Systems Verification Day" on Friday

- Work on storing families with less RAM. (sponsor8, memory, #27359)

Want help with:

- I'm not on enough roadmapped stuff right now.  Who needs help?

- I need comments on that pubsub API proposal

    Week of 10/15 (planned):
     - Get farther into wtf-pad updates; update roadmap
     - Gather other wtf-pad implementations and data
    Week of 10/15 (actual):
      - Updated WTF-PAD branch and some roadmap estimates
      - Gathered more info about wtf-pad
      - Branch is in pretty good shape, needs another pass for fixes,
needs testing
      - Think we have too many tiny wtf-pad tickets and things in the
roadmap. Most are done.
    Week of 10/22:
      - Fix up last few XXX's in the wtf-pad branch; write tests
      - Work with asn to review it


    Week of 10/15 (planned):
        Sponsor 8:
            - Back to using timer based event loop handling for PT's on Windows
              as per discussion in Mexico. (#25502)
            - Look into which initial messages we should submit from the PT.
        Sponsor 19:
            - Finish document section on PT's for Kat's S19 report.
            - Anti-censorship + sysadmin job interview tasks.
            - Lots of reviews(?) with merge window opening?
    Week of 10/15 (actual):
        - Finished s19 report document with asn
        - Lots of CV reviews for anti-censorship position
        - Ticket reviews.
        - Worked on splitting #25502 into more tickets.
    Week of 10/22:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Figure out "who does what" for #25502 and start/continue on that.
        Sponsor 19:
            - Work with Kat if anything comes up?
            - Anti-censorship position interviews/evaluation/etc.
            - Do the reviews I didn't do last week.
            - Had 1:1 with Gaba

    Week of 10/15 (planned):
    - Mike: we need to make tickets for all the WTF-PAD roadmap stuff.
    - Finish up backlog.
    - Check the censorship dev job applications.
    - Do all the reviews (many!)
    - Read WTF-PAD backlog. Not sure if I will have time to start the big review
      yet, given how much other stuff I have to review.
    Week of 10/15 (actual):
    - Did reviews (#27549, #27928, #28026, #27471, #27995)
    - Wrote patch for 035 ticket: #26812
    - Sponsor19 report done with ahf.
    - Opened coverity hsv3 issue ticket: #28120
    - Helped neel with #27841.
    - Sketched out plan about #27838 with dgoulet.
    - Reviewed censorship dev job applications.
    - Wrote a report back from the Tor relays workshop we did last
week: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2018-October/016468.html
    - Continued crunching backlog, and also read the WTF-PAD thread.
    - Discussed Briar's future HS rendezvous scheme:
    Week of 10/22:
    - Start reviewing WTF-PAD code, assuming that the branch lands
this week (cc mike).
    - Still haven't made WTF-PAD roadmap tickets.
    - Do coverity hsv3 issue #28120
    - Reviews.

    Week of 10/15 (planned):
        - Tickets++
    Week of 10/15 (actual):
        - Hunted down #27813 which took me ~3 days and from that #28089 and
          #28090 were created causing the issue. Fixed and released in

        - HSv3 tickets: #27841, #27471, #27995. Discussion with asn on #27838
          to find the best approach to solve the issue.
        - Wrote s19 report (task6 and task10c).
    Week of 10/22 (planned):
        - Implement #27838 solution asn and I came up with.
        - Probably work with ahf on roadmap item #25502.
        - 035 ticket work, many need patches or/and review.
        - Wanting to go over pubsub design from Nick.

    Week of 10/22 (planned):

- anti-censorship dev job interviews

- more hackweek

- weekly 1:1s

- more fundraising

- roadmap

- traveling to sustainble OSS and OTF Summit

    Week of 10/15 (2018-W42) (planned):
        - reviews
        - other high-priority 0.3.5 work as needed
        - open some tickets with observations to help get Chutney
reliable enough to run from CI
        - review anticensorship job applications?
    week of 10/15 (2018-W42) (actual):
        - reviews
        - changes for #27800 (log more stuff when we get colliding
ed25519 IDs and make them seem less alarming)
        - looked at prop#295 revisions somewhat -- in addition to
formatting stuff, some substantive issues remain
        - looked over nickm's pubsub proposal
    week of 10/22 (2018-W43) (planned):
        - reviews
        - other high-priority 0.3.5 work as needed
        - community guide rotation
        - sketch out more details of sponsor8 task breakdown
        - anticensorship hiring?
        - comment on pubsub proposal
        - comment on prop#295 revisions if there's time

    Week of 10/15 (planned):

     - Discuss with asn and dgoulet about the client auth keygen cli

 Week of 10/15 (actual):

     - As planned

 Week of 10/22 (planned):

- Try writing the man page for client auth keygen cli

    Week of 15 Oct (planned):
        - Post-travel admin
        - Blog post on PrivCount research
        - Work on PrivCount in Tor prototype: module design, merge
privcount_shamir, stub other modules
        - Code reviews
        - Meeting about Tor talk
        - Make the fallback script ignore addresses in the whitelist
        - Inbox zero?

    Week of 15 Oct (actual):
        - Dealt with my email backlog, and some of my review,
revision, and quick fix backlogs
        - gave advice on #28042 (sbws doesn't have enough results),
reviewed fixes in #28062, ...
        - reviewed IPv4/IPv6 autoselection patch #27490
        - did bug triage process x3, and added links to useful queries
          Feedback: Reviewing all modified tickets is really hard.
                    (I want a timeline view that just has Core Tor
tickets, or a search with change previews, but that seems impossible)
        - Meeting about tor talk at Internet Feeedom Hack
        - worked through the outstanding PrivCount Shamir tasks (#25669)
        - email response to prop295 revision, asked when we can do public review
        - helped blueprint for free speech with a grant (could be
related to sponsor 19, who do I talk to about sponsor 19?)

    Week of 22 Oct (planned):
        - Work on PrivCount in Tor prototype: module design, merge
privcount_shamir, stub other modules
        - Finish code review, small revision, and small ticket backlog
        - Make the fallback script ignore addresses in the whitelist,
so we can rebuild the fallback list
        - Post-travel admin (awaiting timesheet advice from accounting)
        - Blog post on PrivCount research (awaiting notes from other
    Help with:

     - Hints for staying focused on big tasks.

       It helps if I work on big tasks first, then check email, IRC,
and team rotations later in the day (or the next day).

       (Is it ok to not check email, IRC, and rotations for a day?)

     - Does anyone need help with 0.3.5 bugs? Are there critical bugs
I could help fix?

     - If anyone wants to voice chat and work on a problem together,
let me know.

    Week of 10/15 (actual):
        - Use secs-away when provided instead of data_period (#28105)
        - Stop removing results that are not away from some other X
secs (#28103)
        - what to do with small bandwidth files (#28042)
            - When sbws has measured less than 60% of relays, write a
header with progress (#28076)
            - Publish bandwidth files only when they contain only the
60% of relays (#28062)
        - update bandwidth file specification
            - Make a policy for adding new sbws relay keys(#28099)
            - Update key/values in the bandwidth file spec (#28085)
    Week of 10/15 (planned):
        - what to do with small bandwidth files (#28042)
        - 2 new minor bugs in sbws
        - upload sbws deb release when stem deb release 1.7
        - sbws 0.8.0 stretch-backports, when ^
        - check torflow in shadow, worth implementing sbws in shadow?
        - write in human language about the current problem with
bandwidth scaling
        - update bandwidth file specification
    Week of 22 Oct (planned):

    - sbws

        - get pull requests merged to master

        - check remaining tickets for sbws 1.0 and try to fix them all

    - bandwidth file specification

        - create pull requests with updates

    - core tor component with bwauth keyword

        - prioritize open tickets

    Help with:
        - teor:
             - #28042 (teor says: done!)
             - should we stablish 1h/week for bwauth reviews?, should
we stablish a day of the week to do that? (to help you plan your time
on bwauth reviews)
        - anyone:

           - should dirauth start taking results from sbws when we
decide/fix #28042 (the dirauth/sbws is ready to do it)

             (teor says: yes, one dirauth is safe. Please open a task
so we can track issues.

                         Let's monitor network performance and
consensus weight before and after.

                         mikeperry, is there anything else we should watch?)

More information about the tor-project mailing list