[tor-project] September 2018 report for the Tor Browser team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Oct 9 08:20:00 UTC 2018

Hi!

September was the month of the releases for the Tor Browser team. As
said in our previous monthly report we got our Tor Browser 8.0[1], Tor
Browser 8.5a1[2], and Tor Browser for Android 1.0a1[3] out. However,
then we needed to pick up 2 security releases done by Mozilla which
resulted in Tor Browser 8.0.1[4], Tor Browser 8.0.2[5], Tor Browser
8.5a2[6], and Tor Browser 8.5a3[7].

Apart from closing security holes in Firefox, with the release of Tor
Browser 8.0.1 and 8.5a2 we took the opportunity to fix the most pressing
issues encountered during our Tor Browser 8.0 rollout. Those included a
crash during start-up on older macOS systems (10.9.x)[8] and a
suboptimal solution to our user agent treatment[9]. Remaining issues are
still tracked with the `tbb-8.0-issues` keyword.[10]

Tor Browser 8.0.2 and 8.5a3 only closed Firefox security holes.[11] This
was the first time we needed to do security releases during a dev
meeting which was... exciting. Many thanks to boklm who did the
heavy-lifting here.

Besides working on those releases we nailed down our future plans
towards a stable Tor Browser for Android[12], prepared our dev meeting
and met face to face in Mexico.

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in September is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201809` keyword in our bug
tracker.[13]

For October we plan to finish our roadmap for the coming 6 months[14]
and try to make solid progress towards our second alpha release for Tor
Browser for Android, which is plan in early November. At the end of
October another round of desktop releases is planned to pick up the
latest batch of Firefox security patches and more fixes for Tor Browser
8 related issues.

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201810` keyword in our bug tracker.[15]

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-80
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a1
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/new-alpha-release-tor-browser-android
[4] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-801
[5] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-802
[6] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a2
[7] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a3
[8] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27482
[9] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26146
[10]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~tbb-8.0-issues&order=priority
[11] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2018-24/
[12]
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tbb-dev/2018-September/000910.html
[13]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201809
[14] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tbb-dev/2018-October/000916.html
[15]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201810&order=priority