[tor-project] Decommissioning siv.sunet.se

teor teor at riseup.net
Wed Nov 28 09:30:56 UTC 2018

> On 27 Nov 2018, at 07:21, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 04:15, teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dear bandwidth authority operators,
>>
>>> On 20 Nov 2018, at 23:37, Linus Nordberg <linus at sunet.se> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, judging from its web server logs, several systems on the
>>> internet are pulling bwauth files form siv. If you are running one of
>>> these systems, please let me know how badly you need to continue doing
>>> this and for how long.
>>
>> If you can, please use different servers for your bandwidth files.
>>
>> If multiple operators are using the same server, then it becomes a single
>> point of failure for the bandwidth measurement system.
>>
>> Similarly, try not to use servers that depend on torproject.org, because
>> then the tor project DNS becomes a single point of failure.
>>
>> Thanks for your hard work!
>
> So what's the best choice here? I don't think I have the capacity
> (neither speed or bandwidth cap) to self-host this on ritter.vg. I can
> use https://www.seul.org/ like moria. Or I can use fastly. Or
> something else?

If no-one can run a server, I think your best option is to use fastly and
seul.org. (Torflow can download from multiple servers.)

Here's my analysis:

seul.org:
+ doesn't depend on torproject.org DNS
? shared with moria1, might cause bias or bandwidth issues
- shared with moria1, reducing redundancy

Fastly:
+ built-in redundancy
? does it depend on torproject.org DNS?
? CDN servers near exits might cause bias

Both:
+ built-in redundancy
+ doesn't depend on torproject.org DNS
? some potential bias, but not as much as a single server