[tor-project] Tor Browser meeting, Nov 26 2018

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Nov 27 09:34:00 UTC 2018

Hi a1l!

Yesterday we had our weekly Tor Browser meeting. The IRC log can be
found at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-11-26-19.00.log.txt

The contents of our pad are below:

Monday November 26, 2018
  -Mozilla All Hands meeting sessions
  -releases
  -- Team responsibilities restructuring
      - things to take over from Arthur: (GeKo: we do things ad hoc with
the exception of the uplift coordination)
        - annual rebase
        - maintaining circuit display UI
        - optimistic SOCKS (if I don't finish it)
        - adding locales
        - Mozilla uplift coordination (GeKo: pospeselr is picking this
up and we get a proper process sorted out)
- There is a snowflake meeting this week - November 27th 11pm UTC at
#tor-meeting
- There's also a gettor meeting - Thursday 29th November 1800 UTC at
#tor-meeting

mcs and brade:
  Last week:
    - Time off for the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday.
    - Review for #28515 (Provide English strings under en-US for Torbutton)
  This week:
    - #27828 ("Check for Tor Browser update" doesn't seem to do anything).

igt0:
    Last week:
        - Reviewed #28051 (Build Orbot into TBA)
        - Finished #28507 (Set privacy preferences)
        - Finished #28093 (TBA banner)
        - Started #28580 (Tor circuit for tba)
    This week:
        - Finish #26690(padlock for tba)
        - #28580 (tor circuit for tba)

sysrqb:
    Last week:
        - Worked on #28051 - TBA+Orbot
        - Reviewed #28507 - TBA privacy prefs
        - Reviewed #27977 - tor-browser-build+Orbot
        - Worked on #27701 - Downloading fails in TBA
        - Small amount of BridgeDB maintenance
        - Dog-fooded TBA with pre-release version
        - US Thanksgiving
    This week:
        - Finish reviewing #26690 - TBA with onion/padlock
        - Help finish #27977 and #28051
        - Investigate torbutton upgrade bug (ticket creation pending
confirmation)
        - TBA+Orbot UI (#28329)
        - Release prep
        - Review all our Sandboxing discussions and discuss what we want
from a discussion with Moz at the all-hands

boklm:
    Last week:
        - helped with #26843 (Fennec localization)
        - made patch for #25143 (Error when building a component that
was already built)
        - enabled android nightly builds (#28476) and removed alpha
nightly builds (#28594)
        - made patch to build all locales in Android testbuild (#28573)
        - made patch for #28466 (rbm does not correctly apply git
submodule URL changes)
    This week:
        - fix testsuite issues (#27105 and child tickets)
        - look at the logs from `-Wl,-t` to try to understand the issue
from #26148
        - help with alpha release

GeKo:
    Last week:
        -reviews (#28051, #27977, #28507, #28468, #28483, #28144,
#28093, #27111, #27701, #27443, #27256)
        -worked on #26843 (this needs review!)
        -finished bisecting binutils related crashes when enabling
MOZILLA_OFFICIAL (over the weekend), opened #28618
        -tried to build with backported accessibility patches (over the
weekend) for #27503; still work to do it seems :(
    This week:
        -review remaining things for alpha release
        -build alpha release
        -start working on security settings redesign (#25658)
        -sandboxing items for mozilla all hands
        -looking at pospeselr's doc for #3600
        -test and finish remaining issue with superflous Tor Browser for
Android locale strings (#27125)

pospeselr:
    Last week:
        - #25702 (new icons) changes for torbutton, tor-browser, and
tor-browser-build (for desktop only)
        - filed several UI/polish related tickets
        - initial look into #28546 (windows installer branding)
        - thanksgiving festivities
    This week:
        - patch for #28546
        - patch for #28561
    Next week:
        - Orlando for All-Hands

pili:
    Last week:
        - Sponsor 9 report
    This week:
        - sponsor 8 report prep
        - https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25702 - do we
have an equivalent for TBA? (Anto: I have assets) I'll create a ticket
then ;) (GeKo: This is #28622 now)

antonela:
    Last week:
    - TB 2018 Donation banner review #23925 - thanks Arthur
    - Worked on #28329 -
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/28329/userflow.png
    - Made assets for pospeselr to implement TB icon - when are we going
to release it? should we sync with comms before doing it? (GeKo: we plan
to sync with comms at this week's release meeting)
    This week:
    - Reviewed TBA onion security indicator -
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26690#comment:16
    - Working with Duncan on Security Settings Onboarding
    - All Hands internal sync + prototype

  sisbell:
  Last week:
   - #27977 - Integrate Orbot into build - regenerate gradle deps,
testing various robot patches, branches with RBM build
   - #27443 - Firefox for Android - add git_submodule field to config to
build torbutton as submodule (fixed/merged)
   - #28144 - tor-browser for Android: Changed apk filename to include
-qa.apk ending (fixed/merged)
   - #28468 - Modify Android toolchain to support Orbot (this was
closed/merged)
   - #28483 - Change Android Toolchain API (fixed/closed)
   This Week:
   - #28581 - Documentation for android makefile rules
   - #27977 - Integrate Orbot into build - Test latest patches,
feedback, fixes

Georg