[tor-project] October 2018 report for the ux team

Antonela Debiasi tor at antonela.me
Fri Nov 16 20:43:50 UTC 2018

Hello Tor,

We started October in the beautiful Mexico City. We met a lot of tor
users in Mexico, and we got a lot of insightful discussions. Thanks
Community team!

We continued working with Tor Browser security settings. We are trying
hard to make clear for our users to understand the trade-offs of picking
each level. It is a work in progress now and will reach the stable
channel soon. Reading the ticket could be overwhelming, but you can have
an overview of our iterations looking at the attachments:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/25658

Towards our intention to have more open conversations and share the work
we are doing, we released the first documentation for one of the big
projects we handled this year. Next scheduled docs include .onion
security padlock and onboarding in TB8. Thanks, Pili for uploading it
and Hiro for your review!
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/UxTeam/Misc/CircuitDisplay

We are trying to find the most useful way to report the usability
research we are running around the global south. As I mentioned in the
previews recaps, we were using the ticket #27010 to archive our
sessions. In addition to that, we put together a framework for reporting
our usability testing. It captures a lot of data that shows the
feature's history through development and UX. We already started to use
it to inform our recent research on the Tor Browser, and we will have
our first reports coming out soon.
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/KaJn4JRxGajVno961aLOfqJs-8AsfIvGn-4e_5hC7v4

Also last month, we surveyed our community to pick the next Tor Browser
Icon (!). The results were informed, and the applications team is
already working on its implementation. Thanks all for participate! You
can see the new Tor Browser icon here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25702#comment:8

OONI released a newly redesigned version of Probe. We did design reviews
with Elio and the OONI team to achieve the best experience for probers
and researchers when they measure networks with their phones. Great work
ooniers!
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2018-October/000430.html

The End of Year campaign is running, and we provided support to the
Fundraising team with marketing material to promote it. We have banners
running in different locales at torproject.org, Tor Browser and Tor
Browser for Android.
http://donate.torproject.org/

On behalf of the Tor UX team,