[tor-project] Notes from November 8 2018 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Nov 9 08:30:38 UTC 2018

Notes for November 8 2018 meeting:

Georg:
1) Plans for making our blog more useful by dealing better with comments
[alison steps up writing a first draft with help from other folks --GeKo]
2) Future vegas team meeting times

Roger:
-----On my near-term todo list-----
1) Continue helping Kat with sponsor19 report
2) Write follow-ups, and open trac tickets, from Taipei censorship
meetings (many new ideas!)
3) Do the SponsorM final report (due this month)
4) Post a 2016 financials blog post (pending on an answer from Sue about
our USG / non-USG ratio)
5) Meeting next week with some department-of-justice people to try to
teach more them about the value of encryption (and why not to outlaw it).
-----Things you might want to know-----
6) I signed up to potentially be on an NSF review panel in 2019, as part
of service to NSF so they continue thinking kindly of us. Dates TBD (if
they pick me).
7) I signed up to do a Tor talk at the KNOW 2019 conference in March,
since they agreed to do a donation to Tor (woo).
8) I am officially moving to New York City, probably in January.
-----Things I'm excited to see progress on-----
9) Steph: how are we doing at taking advantage of OTF's Learning Lab? [I
talked to Dan and he'll ping us when it's time to get started; we'll
create a post, infographic, or some other material based on one of our
projects, probably usability -steph]
10) Gaba: How are we doing at coordinating with Nathan (and OTF
engineering lab) on initial bootstrap from censored appstore?
11) Alison: how are we doing at a community lab proposal for bringing
Tor community people to the next Tor meeting? [I think we are delaying
on this one until the DRL proposal is in, so we can focus on what's most
important. -RD] [yeah, I reached out to Al and am going to ping them
again next week when they have finished the DRL proposal]
12) Isabela: How are we doing at setting up your internal feedback
process? [I plan to work on this with Erin, create an internal
communication plan etc]
13) Mike: did you actually launch the tor-researchers list? I see a
bunch of pending subscription attempts. [Yes, but I did not announce it
or invite anyone yet. The first couple looked spammy/randos and then I
got busy with other things - Mike]
14) Geko: can we do a bug bounty status summary? how many bugs, how many
bounties, how many reporters, etc? also, should we open up the bounties
to more people? OTF seems keen to continue funding the bounties. [Yes,
we should have a new contract more or less soonish. And, yes, a summary
sounds good. How did you envision that? Just a .txt file/email to
tor-project? A blog post with press/social media coverage? Or... --GeKo]
[A blog post, the first of a yearly set of blog posts, would be a good
first option. -RD][Fine with me. This won't happen in November, though.
Should we aim for some time in December then? --GeKo]
15) Alison: status of toronto library endorsement letter? (i think you
wrote a draft and then nobody responded) [and then Jon replied just to
me asking for it on letterhead, and I sent it back to him signed on
letterhead]
16) Erin: do we have an onboarding kit for new employees, explaining
travel policies, timesheets, other policies, who to go to for help, etc?
Seems like we keep almost having one. [Erin is not on this meeting]
17) Sue: are we good on assigning enough hours to sponsor19, or will the
numbers not add up right?
18) Who is leading the censorship developer hiring? [It looks like Erin
has started it back up. I heard from Isa that we might ask Gaba and Alex
to lead it. -RD]
19) Who is leading the sysadmin hiring? [I heard from Isa that we might
ask Linus to lead it. -RD]
-----Other things on the edge of my plate-----
20) NYU Tor affiliation plan? [what is this? isa]
21) How are we doing at our plan to handle blog comments more
consistently? [i flagged that as something to discuss on my list - Alison]

Alison:
1) working on community portal outreach kits. new flyers!
2) worked on DRL proposal with others
3) coordinating LFI board meeting
4) wrapping up LFI cohort
5) organizing curriculum for next LFI cohort
6) submitted IFF CFP
7) Other stuff: LF website redesign, completing training materials for
community portal (when we're finished with outreach kits), Colin is
working on a Tor relay challenge and planning some relay operator
meetups, and the rest of the community team will finalize sponsor9
travel for next year soon

Arturo:
1) Wrote a lot of specifications for new measurement techniques to use
in OONI Probe tests: https://github.com/ooni/spec/pull/118
2) Working towards a beta release of OONI Probe 2.0
3) Had an important infrastructure incident which is still being
resolved: https://github.com/ooni/sysadmin/issues/24
4) Helped write the DRL proposal
5) Maria went to Taiwan for the OTF summit & several other community events

Nick:
1) Two new releases out. Any chance for a TB alpha before mid-dec, so we
can get users trying the latest alpha before we are planning to ship the
stable? [Should be doable. Maybe in week 47 (like two weeks from
nowish)? --GeKo]
2) Going to have to clamp down on what we actually fix in 0.3.5. It's
time to triage out all but the most critical stuff; please be aware (and
selective) when we ask for 035-must tickets.

Mike:
1) Sponsor2 work

Gaba:
1) Followed up on Gettor but so far not answer from ilv. Hiro offered to
do the work on refactoring that needs to happen to get it back to work.
I will talk with her on Monday if ilv does not answer by then.
2) Started getting into OONI to help with roadmap and work assignment.
Will start participating in their roadmap and meetings.
3) Network team is working good on their way to complete work for
sponsor 8 that ends on December 31st.
4) Metrics team hiring the a data architect for the team. Started
receiving CVs.
5) Helped with DRL proposal.
6) Sent mail to Nathan (cced Isa) on engineering lab. It seems from the
reply he gave that we need to draft a more specific proposal for him to
look at. I mentioned gettor but not  initial bootstrap from censored
appstore..
7) Hackweek (metrics & network) in Brussels underway. Jon is looking for
a hotel to host the meetings in Brussels. Cancelled KU Leuven as it was
too much back and forth for some people.
8) Interviews for anti-censorship position are coming. It will be hard
to have people already volunteering on it and very good candidates to
choose from. Not easy decision.
9) Roger: I sent you a mail to coordinate the SponsorM report. [right,
will answer -RD]

Pili:
1) Started putting together SIDA Phase 1 report
2) Helping out with DRL Proposal
3) Iterating on best way to Visual Identity Definition Project
4) Iterating on framework for user testing reports.

isabela:
1) I'm working on DRL proposal
2) I had a long catch up sync with Roger
3) I will meet OTF PMs this Saturday and SIDA PM this Sunday
4) I will be in Seattle from Nov 12-16 to finalize the transition

Sarah:
1) Helping with DRL proposal.
2) YE campaign - sorted out metrics confusion with Karsten and good news
is that we are seeing increased traffic to the donate page over last
year, but the bad news is that we are seeing fewer donations. I am
working today to modify the donate page and will ping Antonela for new
banner art and have Giant Rabbit implement.
3) Meeting with OTF and SIDA PMs with Isa this weekend.
4) Next week will finalize with Al postal mail letters to donors we
don't have email addresses for and letter to family foundations.
5) Moving forward with allowing people to donate additional types of
cryptocurrency.
6) Researching conferences and events for fundraising opportunities.

Sue:
1) Working on budget and budget narrative for DRL proposal
2) Working with auditors to complete tax return by 11/15 deadline
3) Invoicing for work completed in 3Q
4) Working on completion of MA PC for 2016

Steph:
1) working on blog post and press release.
2) wrote copy for a couple more pages for the new site
3) working with The Berkeley Group on our brand study
4) submitting a panel to LibrePlanet
5) talked with Dan at OTF about Learning Lab
6) preparing for campaign blog posts
7) starting to use Tor stories gathered through our survey for promotion

Antonela:
1) working on TB security settings.
2) working on TBA #28329, #27399.
3) synced with Geko and Isabela about the UX work on the DRL Proposal.
4) submitted a talk to the Open Design track in FOSDEM.
5) working with Steph and Isabela on freezing tpo.org and tpo.org/about
so we can move it to translation and development.
6) working with the community team on our new outreach material.
7) a new banner iteration on the EOY campaign is live at tpo.org [I'll
send you a note about donate.tpo today. I think it would help the
campaign to change the TB banner before 12/11, but don't know how much
work that creates for everyone. - Sarah][Noted. I think that might be
doable in the same week as the alpha and probably a new Tor Browser for
Android are coming out. --GeKo]

Karsten:
1) Had a very useful retrospective and roadmap session with irl and gaba.
2) Created a bunch of tickets for roadmap items.
3) Discussed various graphs related to consensus weight.

Shari:
1) helping with DRL proposal!
2) so many loose ends
3) Isa's in Seattle next week for the transfer of power! :)