[tor-project] October 2018 report for the Tor Browser team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Nov 6 15:13:00 UTC 2018

Hello!

In October the Tor Browser team did three releases picking up Firefox
security fixes and other improvements: Tor Browser 8.0.3[1], 8.5a4[2],
and for mobile 1.0a3[3].

For mobile we fixed DNS requests bypassing Tor[4] and for the desktop
alpha we included a backport of a defense against fingerprinting a user
by protocol handler enumeration, which Mozilla developed.[5] Tor
0.3.5.3-alpha is tested in the desktop alpha bundles as well. Moreover,
all the deskop bundles contain our end-of-the-year-campaign donation
banner to help us collect unrestricted money.

Non-release related work comprised (among others) severel bugs tackling
reproducibility issues[6], moving our mobile build integration into
tor-browser-build forward[7], and looking into integrating Torbutton
tighter into the Firefox codebase directly.[8]

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in October is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201810` keyword in our bug
tracker.[9]

For November we plan to get our next major alpha release of Tor Browser
for Android out. Highlights will be an included Orbot which makes
installing a separate app unnecessary and the full integration of the
mobile build process into tor-browser-build, making it possible to
tackle remaining reproducibility issues[10]. Additionally, we have a
bunch of UX improvements in the pipeline for that release, e.g. an own
about:tor page for mobile[11] and .onion indicators in the URL bar,
similar to those we already see on desktop platforms[12].

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201811` keyword in our bug tracker.[13]

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-803
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a4
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-android-10a3
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28125
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1623
[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26475 and
[7] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26993
[8] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25013
[9]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201810
[10] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25164
[11] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27111
[12] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26690
[13]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201811&order=priority