[tor-project] Notes from November 1 2018 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Nov 2 08:40:10 UTC 2018

Notes for November 1 2018 meeting:

Georg:
1) We got Tor Browser for Android 1.0a3 out

Gaba:
1) attended sustainable open source software organized by gunner and
open collective
2) attended OTF summit
3) going back into the roadmap and specially tickets that are marked as
sponsor8
4) can we move the las vegas meeting for 30 minute later?  Or I'm late
for 30 min. The meeting starts just when I need to take kids to school.

Alison:
1) writing outreach content for community portal
2) drafting LFI cohort two schedule
3) finalizing LFI cohort two recruitment materials and plans
4) writing some text for the DRL proposal
5) advising a high school student on a Tor research paper
6) writing a follow up email to the organizers of Tormenta
7) Maggie presented with Cybelle at Mozfest
8) Colin is onboarding Pili, Maggie, and Sarah on RT
9) coordinating meeting dates and locations for the next Tor Meeting
10) continuing work on the LFI wiki
11) wrote CFP for IFF and submitting today!

Sarah:
1) YE campaign results
 - Bad news: we are $20,000 behind where we were at this point last year.
 - Good news: We’ve received 604 gifts for $35,612. 357 people have
given for the first time. We’ve gained 24 new monthly donors and we are
generating $3,000/month from all monthly donors.
2) Campaign next steps
 - Modifying some graphics
 - Writing more campaign-related blog posts
 - Boosting social media. Please encourage your networks to contribute.
Help Steph and me identify and reach out to influential external
validators who might be willing to amplify the campaign. Can LFI and
OONI retweet?
 - Brainstorming the next set of TB banners. (Puppies!)
 - TBA banners
 - Postal mail letter going to people who have given though the mail
before and for whom we don’t have an email address.
 - Still working on cryptocurrency issue. Several donors have asked to
be able to send Bitcoin and Monero directly, but Sue: I think we need to
check with the auditors about this process.
3) Grants
 - Al and many others are deep in DRL anti-censorship proposal writing
 - Modularization proposal is about to be complete
 - Letter to family foundations will be sent after the 11/8 DRL deadline
4) I'll be AFK 11/5 but available on Signal

isabela:
1) done with sponsor8 Q3 report
2) catching up with modularization proposal and drl proposal
3) writing down the information for sue to build a grant forecast report
for me
4) answered questions from the berkeley group for their research

Mike:
1) Working on sponsor2 work

sue:
1) done with reporting requirements for all 10/31/18 deadlines
2) working on budget for DRL proposal, getting the template ready for
percentages from team leads for personnel
3) still training two new employees
4) catching up on all emails (way behind due to travel and deadlines)

nick:
1) team working on timeline stuff for drl proposal
2) moving ahead with sponsor 8 things
3) jon and gaba and team are planning netteam hackfest
4) too much email, too many meetings. :)

Shari:
1) finishing edits on DRL proposal
2) need to do expense reports for Yale and Mexico City
3) helping with end-of-year campaign as needed
4) general catch-up after too much travel

Karsten:
1) Finished first version of metrics-web's ipv6servers module rewrite
towards replacing large parts of the legacy module.
2) Helped write job posting for new metrics developer. To be distributed
soon.

Steph:
1) fundraising campaign sharing and planning
2) responded to a couple press inquiries
3) wrapping up website copy

Antonela:
1) working on Tor Browser Security Settings
2) reviewing DRL Proposal
3) writing wiki docs for Circuit Display and Onion Security Indicator
4) Tor Browser Icon pool was sent
5) working on EOY iterations in Tor Browser and tpo.org
6) working on tpo.org and tpo.org/about redesign
7) working with Helen on usability research reporting