[tor-project] Proposal for the people page: Pronouns

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sun May 20 06:18:26 UTC 2018

Thanks teor.

> Pronouns are optional, so there's no need to get them all.
>
> If it's easier to do a group update, we can start collecting a list, wait a
> week, and then do the change.

Yup, all information on the page is optional *but* it's consistently
collected. My ask here wasn't that it must be listed for everyone but
that we should collect them in the same way as the other information.
Which is to say reach out individually to everyone on the page to ask
if and what pronoun they'd prefer.

> Some people use other preferred pronouns.
>
> Here are some examples of other preferred pronouns:
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_pronoun#Summary

Interesting. I suspect in our community he/she/they will be enough but
interesting to know there are things like 'eir'.

> There are no standard icons for pronouns. The male and female symbols ♂ and
> ♀ are used in medicine. (Using them would be confusing and problematic.)
> There is no standard symbol for "they".

Seems there are iconographic options, but on reflection it probably
would indeed be better to just spell it out along with irc nicks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_symbols#Gender_symbols
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_symbol