[tor-project] Proposal for the people page: Pronouns

Taylor Yu catalyst at torproject.org
Sat May 19 05:08:38 UTC 2018

On 05/18/2018 05:36 PM, Erin Wyatt wrote:
> I make the meeting name tags, and pronouns would be easy to add. I’ll add a column on the meeting wiki. Thanks for the suggestion, Richard!

Thanks, Richard and Erin!

Please make it clear that pronouns are optional on the meeting wiki page.

A few other suggestions:

* To encourage cisgender people to display their pronouns, include text
(maybe a footnote on the pronoun column?) like "If strangers tend to
assume the correct pronouns for you, please consider displaying your
pronouns, even if you feel that is unnecessary. That helps make a more
welcoming environment for all of us to display our pronouns, especially
those of us who often experience strangers assuming incorrect pronouns
for us."

* Mention that if someone doesn't provide pronouns, there will be an
unlabeled blank space on their badge that they can use to add pronouns
later if they want.

* Mention that there will be blank badges, markers, and blank stickers
(maybe we haven't provided stickers before, but I recommend it) if
people need to correct their name or pronouns on their badges after
they've been printed. (It happens! e.g., me at my first Tor meeting)

* If we provide stickers, maybe preprint some of the more common pronoun
sets, along with a fill-in-the-blank sticker.

I welcome feedback about any of the above suggestions.

Best regards,
-Taylor