[tor-project] Proposal for the people page: Pronouns

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 23:31:22 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On 19 May 2018, at 08:51, Taylor Yu <catalyst at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> I guess I have a different bias. I would find it helpful if we gave
> people the option to display their pronouns in a standardized way.

I want it to be easy for other people to find my pronouns.

When I go to check someone's pronouns, it helps to have them in a
standard place.

> People are unlikely to guess my correct pronouns, unless they're in the
> habit of using they/them pronouns by default.

Me too!
(I used to use "he", now I use "they".)

> Until recently, it was
> more likely than not for someone to guess my gender or pronouns in a
> direction that would hurt me.
>
> I've found that people who have already made assumptions about someone's
> gender are likely to disregard that person's pronouns if those pronouns
> are used only in running text, as opposed to being displayed in some
> more explicit way. I personally feel more comfortable announcing my
> pronouns if other people also announce theirs (which they are free to do
> or not as they feel comfortable).

I think we can support both options.

If we make pronouns optional, and have a place in the header:
* some people can use the header
* some people can use the description
* and others can use neither (or both).

teor