[tor-project] Reviving The Discussion: Crowdsourcing some guidelines for what it means to make a web site "Tor-friendly"

Kevin Gallagher kcg295 at nyu.edu
Tue May 15 21:10:07 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

Recently in a Tor UX meeting I brought up the idea of creating a
Tor-Friendliness scanner, or a program that evaluates and ranks the
"Tor-friendliness" of a web site and provides recommendations to
improve. This idea seemed pretty well received by those attending the
meeting, so I'd like to get stated on creating this. However, in order
to do this I would need to precisely define "Tor-friendliness."

That's when this discussion
(https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-January/001606.html)
was brought to my attention. It seems conversation about this has died
down. I would like to revive this conversation and work towards creating
an understanding of the definition of being "Tor-friendly."

Currently I am reading the Tor Browser Design Document to understand the
Tor Browser more fully, and to understand how it works to thwart
tracking and fingerprinting, etc. If there are other approaches I should
consider to help me understand what "Tor-friendliness" is, please let me
know! Otherwise, I would love to hear about what people think
constitutes "Tor-friendliness" so I can build a tool that tests for
these things.

Thanks,

Kevin Gallagher

--